Hipoint Firearms Forums > Hi-Point Firearms Discussion > Hi-Point Pistols > 40 JCP Slide broken in half - not mine

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 04:12 AM   #1
s0b3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 40 JCP Slide broken in half - not mine

saw this posted on ar15.com. anyone here's pistol? any idea what would cause a failure like that?

Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 04:27 AM   #2
panoz77
HPF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 221 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Re: 40JPH Slide broken in half - not mine

This was an older post over there, do you have the link, I think the possible reason was given. I know there were lots of comments like "look they are made of pot metal" and "looks like they make them from moon rocks", stuff like that. It may have just been a faulty casting or a massive overpressure.

Smoke em' if you got em'

Old 03-01-2009, 05:53 AM   #3
s0b3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
This was an older post over there, do you have the link, I think the possible reason was given. I know there were lots of comments like "look they are made of pot metal" and "looks like they make them from moon rocks", stuff like that. It may have just been a faulty casting or a massive overpressure.
the link is in the team ar15.com board which is restricted to paying members. typical hp bashing ensues. i know glocks get a lot of flack for the kbs that were experienced in the .40 a while back due to an unsupported chamber but this is the first time i've seen a slide apart like that outside a kb.

it doesn't look like a kb, the barrel looks to be ok, most of the time, wouldn't the chamber be destroyed?

Old 03-01-2009, 07:10 AM   #4
HP Cobra_Rich

If it was not staged,I would just say a bad casting.I can't even figure how it would have that much stress in that area.But it is the section with the least material.And it looks like the slide pin is still intact so it didn't fly off.
I bet if you sent it back to hi point,They'd like to see it and you'd probably get a phone call, and a new one Fast as lightning.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
KCjeff

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OUCH! I can only imagine the amount of HP bashing this has caused. :cantlook:

Old 03-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
neothespian

:bs: ..... and let me explain why:

Alot of the clamps that hold smaller lighting instruments onto a light grid are made of a similiar ZAMAK3 alloy. When they DO break, they do so in a very fragmented manner because there is no grain for them to follow. Also, they will break at the weakest point of the casting.

The .40 in the pic has nearly a clean line just before the breach. An UNUSUALLY clean line. Under stress, a fracture would be just that: A fracture. Also, notice how the weapon in the picture seems to of failed at the thickest part of the slide the most even.

Doesn't this seem unusual? Especially considering that most metal failures occur at the thinnest or most worked portion of the metal?

And lastly: How could such a "clean" break (I'm not even going to call it a fracture) have not one trace of chipping or damage to the surrounding finish of the slide, especially when the pin that holds the slide assembly to the weapon is fairly snug in there and does NOT allow for the slide to bounce back beyond it's mounting point?

I say it was rigged. Bold to say I know, but speaking as someone who is used to working with that alloy quite often and as someone who is an educated engineer, I'm not fully buying it. If a round DID fail in that weapon, we'd be seeing ALOT more damage on that slide. I mean, look at other weapons that have had failures during a firing and you will see quite a bit of fragmentation and scarring, ESPECIALLY on hardened steel slides!!

"Generally speaking, art is an expression of man’s need for an harmonious and complete life, that is to say, his need for those major benefits of which a society of classes has deprived him. That is why a protest against reality, either conscious or unconscious, active or passive, optimistic or pessimistic, always forms part of a really creative piece of work. Every new tendency in art has begun with rebellion."- Leon Trotsky

Old 03-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
Newskate9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'll do some searching around too, but I've seen these pics before a while ago. I recall it was a "failure" but under extreme repeated circumstances. Golly, I wish I could find that link........

Old 03-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #8
HP Cobra_Rich

Look at the third picture on the right side.Does that look like a gouge on the right side of the ejection port?
I'm just trying to see where the impact was where they Broke it. Is this like a CSI episode :angel:
Also I wonder If HP ever got this back and if not Why?
I agree with NEO. I don't quite buy it.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
AngieLn439

In most pics the metal appears to be very clean and shiny in the broken areas except #5 at about the 2-5 o'clock position from the firing pin which appears darkened. Most fatigue/flawed casting failures I've seen start out with a crack in an area thats been there for a while allowing it to get dirty before the whole thing lets go. That said a crack may have been there but the break almost appears as though the slide may have been secured somehow with force applied in one direction to finish the break. I have no formal schooling but many years of hands on working with hydraulics and other heavy equipment under extreme pressure on machines that use milled and cast steel and aluminum parts and molds. Don't guess we will have any idea what type of loads were being used.

C9
JCP 40
Taurus PT-22
Firestorm 380
Firestorm Mini 9 Pro
Remington 11-48 12ga
Springfield Model 56 .22

“Knowledge without Action is useless; Action without Knowledge is dangerous.” - D. L. Chu, 1995.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:32 AM   #10
WERE_SKITZ0

I have only broken my HP down once or twice and it has been a long while but if the gun had failed like that wouldn't the end of the slide fly forward because of the spring? or am I way off?

Jennings J-22 .22,
Kel Tec 3AT,
Hi point C9,
Hi point 995,
Hi point 4095,
Hi point JCP40,
Taurus PT140,
ar15/M4 5.56 NATO,
Savage Edge .243,
Yugo sks 7.62x39,
H&R .500S&W Handi Rifle,
mossberg 500 12 ga,