Hipoint Firearms Forums > Hi-Point Firearms Discussion > Hi-Point Pistols > 45 cal pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
bigochief
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default 45 cal pistol

Would you recommend purchasing a Hi Point 45 cal pistol or recommend spending several hundred dollars more on another make/model? I have to wait as much as a year to get my pistol permit in NY State. Money is tight so even though I would love to have a Springfield Armory M1911 pistol, I would rather save the money and get a Hi Point 45 cal if it is reliable, safe, and can hit targets 25 yards plus. I'm into home defense and target shooting so the 45caliber is my caliber of choice. I already have a Hi Point 45 cal carbine.

I also wish Hi Point made a good pump action 12 gauge Home Defense shotgun with an extended magazine tube. Perhaps the best American made shotgun is the Remington M870. I really like the M877 Nitro Mag Tactical but cost is a factor. Anyone experienced with the H&R Home Defense Shotgun? H&R/NEF claim a steel receiver like Remington. Based on some info found on the internet, it appears these shotguns are made by Remington at Ilion, NY. Not sure of this. Based on cost, I may get the H&R shotgun. I'm not real crazy about Mossberg and others with aluminum/alloy receivers.

bigochief

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Ranger-6
HPF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 465 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 1620

Go with the .45 JHP since you already have the 4595 Carbine. The magazines interchange with each firearm. The interchangeability of magazines was a deciding factor for me, I have both. I am not crazy about shotguns for home defense; I have the Phoenix HP22 for that function.

However, if I were to use a shotgun it would likely be the .410. I would think a lot of home defense would be based on the environment where one lived, and who might be after them. If a person lived in a super, high crime area then tripwire to a claymore would be a possible choice.

Learning through experience can be deadly...

Old 02-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Browning 9 Guy
Premium Supporter

Liked 99 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 271

Go with the JHP 45. Completely reliable and accurate. I have put 850 rounds through mine to date, with zero malfunctions.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
bigochief

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I would also use the shotgun for hunting ie turkey and small game so I'm looking for a shotgun with different chokes. Most home defense shotguns have one choke or no choke. I may settle for a M870 and get a barrel with full and modified chokes. Later get a slug barrel. I wouldn't buy a .410 as it's ok for short range varmints but for home defense, it would only piss off a criminal not stop them unless a good shot got them in the eyes. Present crimes rates may not be an indicator of future crime rates. My mom lives in Southern GA where crime was very low when she moved there 25 years ago. Now the crime rates are terrible due to high unemployment, illegals and drugs. I rather be prepared for the worst and if Obama gets re-elected, I plan on the worst.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
first_pistol
JHP 45 acp

I'd agree with Ranger, go with the hi point since they use the same mag. The only issue per se I've had with mine is I got a secong mag for mine and I seem to have the typical issue you see with the 9mm mags, I've tried the correction but havn't retried it since

Old 02-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Slimshady

Liked 404 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Nothing wrong with an AL framed pumpgun, all the stress is taken by the bolt locking to the bbl. I suppose after racking it a half million times they might get a little loose. The only thing I don't like about the Mossberg is the tang safety, I like a pistol grip stock on my HD shotgun, hard to manipulate the safety. The Maverick corrects this with a crossbolt TG safety and a lower price. Still, if you can find an older 870 it's hard to beat. The newer ones have a few design/material changes to reduce cost I don't like.

Nothing wrong with an HP .45 for home defense, but they are a bit bulky for CCW use. Also, the lack of a FP block safety makes them unsuitable for daily carry, at least to my mind. If you are going to be carrying eventually, you might want to save up a bit more and get a safer carry piece. A .45 carbine will work just as good for HD as long as you aren't using it to clear your house. Barricade the bedroom and let them come to you.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
bout2snap

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i love my hi point jhp 45. very accurate, bangs everytime i pull trigger. only ammo it doesnt like is Tulammo, which is ok, because its very dirty ammo anyway. i went shooting yesterday with a few friends. one of them got a new para expert 1911 in .45 acp. $900 gun. he shot once and it jammed so bad the slide wouldnt move. i shot 100 rds thru my gun with no hiccups. i love it!

Old 02-06-2012, 03:29 AM   #8
octabird
Master Pistol Blaster

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to octabird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6 View Post
Go with the .45 JHP since you already have the 4595 Carbine. The magazines interchange with each firearm. The interchangeability of magazines was a deciding factor

If a person lived in a super, high crime area then tripwire to a claymore would be a possible choice.

Yes, go with the JHP. I was thinking 1911 too, but I can buy 3 HPs for the price of 1 1911.

Ranger, the claymore sounds good, but I am afraid my sleepwalking 7 year old daughter would get blown to pieces.

Rack it hard and burn 'em down baby!

Teach a child to shoot responsibly and they will be safe for a lifetime!

~Octabird

Old 02-06-2012, 04:12 AM   #9
Ranger-6
HPF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 465 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 1620

Quote:
Originally Posted by octabird View Post
Yes, go with the JHP. I was thinking 1911 too, but I can buy 3 HPs for the price of 1 1911.

Ranger, the claymore sounds good, but I am afraid my sleepwalking 7 year old daughter would get blown to pieces.
Yea, it's one hell of a big bang to wake up to.

Learning through experience can be deadly...

Old 02-06-2012, 05:35 AM   #10
Slimshady

Liked 404 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Toe poppers, set for 150lbs. Small bang, no danger to little ones, and they limp away slow......

Quick Reply