Hipoint Firearms Forums > Hi-Point Firearms Discussion > Hi-Point Pistols > Flashlight Mount for .40 or .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
corporatekiller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Flashlight Mount for .40 or .45

I searched for a method of attaching a flashlight to my .40 which might aide me in protecting my home. It occured to me that you don't shoot at what you dont see, and at midnight its dark and if i flip a light switch I also cant see. I reccomend to never have a home defense weapon without a light. My solution was simple and elegant.

I have a 2cm diameter flashlight and I discovered that I have a .22 scope that I'm not using. I put the two together and tried to put them on my pain in the butt accessory rail. Of course this little dovetail mount didn't fit. But it fits the trigger guard like a glove. It occurs to me that this frees up the accessory rail for the high point laser. My only small problem is that the mag light is a little bit too long. This is fine by me since it still serves its purpose well.

I can't find my camera while i post this, so sorry no pics. The specs are below.

Mag Light Mini Mag = 2cm
Simmons Varmint Scope Ring = .75in
2cm is very close to .75in, one wrap in electrical tape closed this gap (you cant see it.)
Scope ring is rigid enough under fire testing (for a light) and fits perfectly under trigger guard.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2010, 05:50 AM   #2
Mike1234

Default Re: Flashlight Mount for .40 or .45

AFAIK, there's nothing available yet. Maybe someone on this or another forum will begin milling picatinny adapters or, perhaps, a manufacturer will produce one. Until then we're on our own. I'm thinking of buying the High-Point laser adapter and cutting the loop off so I can grind/sand the bottom flat and attach a short picatinny rail to it. This seems like the easiest/cheapest solution right now.

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
~ Winston Churchill ~

Old 10-25-2010, 12:38 AM   #3
Kriegaffe

Actually there is one that will work on the .40 and .45.

http://www.combathunting.com/product.cgi?group=151&product=949

It uses a weaver mount which our guns have. It isn't perfect, but it does fit. The only problem I ran into was when I took it to the range after about 2 clips the light came flying off since the recoil stud will not fit on the Hipoint. For the price and for use as a nightstand gun I can live with that. Next time I take it to the range I will just take the light off.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
Mike1234

Quote:

It uses a weaver mount which our guns have. It isn't perfect, but it does fit. The only problem I ran into was when I took it to the range after about 2 clips the light came flying off since the recoil stud will not fit on the Hipoint. For the price and for use as a nightstand gun I can live with that. Next time I take it to the range I will just take the light off.
Isn't the Hi-Point rail proprietary? If the fit isn't right then this is probably why your rail comes loose when shooting.

I might just buy the Laserlyte clamp with laser and use my weak hand to operate a compact flashlight with a squeeze switch.

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
~ Winston Churchill ~

Old 10-25-2010, 01:54 AM   #5
Kriegaffe

Quote:
Quote:

Isn't the Hi-Point rail proprietary? If the fit isn't right then this is probably why your rail comes loose when shooting.

I might just buy the Laserlyte clamp with laser and use my weak hand to operate a compact flashlight with a squeeze switch.
It is proprietary, but I really don't want to be fumbling with a flashlight and the fire arm in the middle of the night. Don't get me wrong - the light works and is solid on the gun, but I think it eventually works its way loose after x amount of rounds due to recoil. If I have to go through a full clip or more for an intruder, I have more problems than worrying about a flashlight. It is a shame Hipoint has not designed a flashlight for these guns. I think the flashlight is much more practical than any laser.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:01 AM   #6
corporatekiller

I dealt with mounts that "nearly fit" for quite awhile. I had one on my gun that did this same thing and eventually took it off. I came up with this idea which is SOLID with the added benefit of still having a free rail if I want to attach my laser. HiPoint guns use of a proprietary rail baffles me. I can't figure out why they decided on this, but I have found some workarounds.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:04 AM   #7
Kriegaffe

Quote:
I dealt with mounts that "nearly fit" for quite awhile. I had one on my gun that did this same thing and eventually took it off. I came up with this idea which is SOLID with the added benefit of still having a free rail if I want to attach my laser. HiPoint guns use of a proprietary rail baffles me. I can't figure out why they decided on this, but I have found some workarounds.
Workaround? Please share!

Old 10-25-2010, 02:11 AM   #8
Mike1234

I prefer a compact light/laser combo.

I may still buy Laserlyte's laser mount without the laser and cut the lower section off so I can mount a short picatinny rail to the underside.

Frankly, it perturbs me greatly that many firearm manufacturers are so concerned about making a few extra bucks that they lock us into a very limited or virtually nonexistent range of choices for add-ons. They make it a PITA to modify what we really want to fit their guns. They really need to think about customer satisfaction and loyalty rather than that little bit of extra profit. In fact, my inclination right now is to never again buy a firearm that doesn't have standard common Weaver or Picatinny rails. >

~ Winston Churchill ~

Old 10-25-2010, 03:05 AM   #9
irishfan84n

is it possible to mount a flashlight on a c9 handgun??

Old 10-25-2010, 03:20 AM   #10
Kriegaffe

This thread should be merged with the rail thread right below it.

Quick Reply