Hipoint Firearms Forums > Hi-Point Firearms Discussion > Hi-Point Pistols > hi point .40 cal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
lead farmer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Send a message via Yahoo to lead farmer
Default hi point .40 cal

am interested in buying a .40 cal. pistol ,but not wanting to spend a fortune could someone give me the pros/cons on a hi point. i seen one the other day at my favorite gun/pawn shop for $160 n.i.b. is this a good price. been interested in a .40 for awhile .i already own 3 9mm and 2 .45 acps . we carry .40 cal s&w ,m&p's at work (i work for the n.c.d.o.c ) id never shot a .40 until i started working there .and so far am not impressed .but dont know if its the caliber or the pistol its self .ive heard and read many good things on the .40 caliber .so a buddy suggested to try shooting a .40 cal in a different pistol .so i figured id give it a try before blowing off this caliber.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
writerinmo

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Re: hi point .40 cal

The .40 caliber, regardless of which pistol it's fired in, is a specifically designed caliber developed for the FBI, basically a slowed down 10mm. The ballistics are close to the 9mm as far as velocity and energy, but with a heavier bullet.

Many people who carry or shoot a .45 say they don't like the 'snappy' recoil vs the slow "thud" that the .45 has. Those who shoot a lot of 10mm often call it the '40 "Slow and Wimpy" although it's ballistics are far from that.

The M&P is a good quality pistol. The Hi Point will give you slightly more accuracy due to the fixed barrel design versus the locked-breech design currently used by most other manufacturers.

What exactly about the caliber "doesn't impress" you?

http://elby.yolasite.com/ mosin sight tools

“There are currently 37/38 states that are currently “shall issue” states. They also said they saw reductions in their violent crime rates, significant declines, because nobody wants to go duck hunting when five percent of the ducks can shoot back.”
eldarbeast Likes This 
Old 10-17-2010, 05:09 AM   #3
Jungle George

Liked 38 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Is there a dealer with a range near you where you can test fire a Hi-Point? I think once you put 10 rounds down the tube you will have your answer.

I have a Hi-Point 40 as well as the C9. I am very glad to have both but I like the 40 WAY better. I find the 40 to be extremely accurate and the recoil is really nice and smooth. I reload and I have my 40 dialed in so that even though it has more energy in terms of foot pounds compared to the 9 mm ( but just barely so) the felt recoil is much nicer. The frame on the 40 is considerably larger and the overall weight of the gun is heavier than the C9 which accounts for the reduced recoil.

The down side is that the 40 is impractical for concealed carry.

Right now I'm debating if I should get a second 40 or a Hi-Point 45. The second 40 would be so that I would never be without my favorite caliber (so far) in the event that I have to send the gun in. Plus I can have one dedicated for home defense and the other can be my range gun that I can use and not worry about wearing parts out and then not having my preferred HD gun.

You really can't go wrong unless of course you end up hating the gun for whatever reason, which is why test firing a few rounds may be the only thing you need to do to help you decide. Even an inexpensive gun is a waste of money if you hate it and refuse to use it.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
dptigger

I have the 40 and I love it. It is heavy and a little big but I use it as my EDC and have no problem concealing it. I have thought about buying the c9 but haven't yet just because I like the 40 so much.

NRA Member

Old 10-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
am interested in buying a .40 cal. pistol ,but not wanting to spend a fortune could someone give me the pros/cons on a hi point. i seen one the other day at my favorite gun/pawn shop for $160 n.i.b. is this a good price. been interested in a .40 for awhile .i already own 3 9mm and 2 .45 acps . we carry .40 cal s&w ,m&p's at work (i work for the n.c.d.o.c ) id never shot a .40 until i started working there .and so far am not impressed .but dont know if its the caliber or the pistol its self .ive heard and read many good things on the .40 caliber .so a buddy suggested to try shooting a .40 cal in a different pistol .so i figured id give it a try before blowing off this caliber.
Hi-Point?

Pros

Inexpensive.
Fixed barrel design leads to greater accuracy.
Durable.
Best in business warranty that lasts the life of the firearm, and transfers with it regardless of whether you are the 2nd or 250th owner.
good sights.

Cons.

Single stack magazine.
Top heavy.
Some people don't like to carry it condition 1 because it's single action only with the firing pin under full tension and no way to uncock with a round in the chamber. (I don't see it as a problem, but thought I'd through it out there)
Need a hammer and punch to take it apart.

all

Off goes the head of the king, and tyranny gives way to freedom. The change seems abysmal. Then, bit by bit, the face of freedom hardens, and by and by it is the old face of tyranny. Then another cycle, and another. But under the play of all these opposites there is something fundamental and permanent — the basic delusion that men may be governed and yet be free.

--H.L. Mencken

Extreme positions are not succeeded by moderate ones, but by contrary extreme positions.
--Friedrich Nietzsche

Old 10-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
Doyle

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have the JCP 40 and I love it. I've only put 600 round through it, but I'm satisfied. It will go boom every time I pull the trigger. If you decide to buy one, start out loading the magazines with 8 rounds and work your way up to 10 rounds. This will give the magazines a chance to break in.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:45 PM   #7
DeShooter

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 to all the info above, and $160 is the going rate for a .40
I purchased mine from LGS about 3-4 months ago for $158.

I don't think you will be sorry.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:41 AM   #8
40cal.

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I also have the jcp 40 and found out the hard way not to try putting 10 rounds right off the bat. Only one bad experience asked a friend to pick up a box of rounds he showed up with wolfe ammo from walmart. The gun jammed twice first clip gave him back the rounds went and bought good ammo. never another problem. This is not the guns fault just irresponsible friend

Old 10-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
thoricuncle

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Send a message via MSN to thoricuncle

I have the .40, C9 and C9 Comp.

The .40 is my favorite.

Only problem I had with is when I overdid it with CPL and I had a run of FTL's.

I cleaned it again and it has worked fine ever since.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:11 AM   #10
celticsavage

i have a .40cal carbine and the "cheap" carbine shoots true and its TUFF! I bought a .40 pistol today even though from the years past,i've heard negative things about HP's pistols.I just ran about 50rds through it and i love it.Yes its a bit heavy but it has a smooth action and is easy to stay on target.NO MALFUNCTIONS whatsoever! Dont care to conceal it....I OPEN CARRY! This is America!

Quick Reply