Hipoint Firearms Forums > Hi-Point Firearms Discussion > Hi-Point Pistols > Hi Point 40 S&W jamming excessively

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 02:30 AM   #1
mjames
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hi Point 40 S&W jamming excessively

New to the forum and Hi point products. So I would like to thank anyone in advance that might have some guidance for me. I recently purchased the 40 cal S&W from Hi point and have put around 50 rounds through. The first 2 clips were fine. The 3rd clip and everyone since seems to jam around the 3 round when full clip loaded. The load seems to load straight into the feedramp instead of up therefore standing the nose of the load straight up. I also noticed that if you put some rounds in the clip and then push on the nose of the top round, the round will stay in that orientation. When you look at the jammed round, it appears it doesn't even get high enough to go up the feedramp. In other words the nose of the round runs into the bottom of the feed ramp. I like the feel of this product and realize this isn't a $700 model but I am hoping there is a solution to the jamming. I see a lot of the subject of polishing a feedramp but something doesn't look right with this clip. Another point is accessories page on Hi point website show a clip that has an orange feed among some other small differences than what came with my .40. Again , I am new to this so please have patience and your time is much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2011, 02:40 AM   #2
justdon

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Re: Hi Point 40 S&W jamming excessively

Mag lips could need adjustment.Super virgil has a post showing how to do that and possibly a good fluff and buff of the feedramp.

When seconds count police are only minutes away.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:52 AM   #3
mjames

Thank you for the reply. I measured .400 on the clips front mag lip and .375 on the rear set. I also tried to view that link on Super Virgil but didn't have any success. I will have to try it again. This might be a simple question but again a newbie. Would I want to open the mag lips or tighten up in my situation. Again it seems the round goes doesn't make it up the feedramp but rather right into it. Thanks again

Old 04-19-2011, 02:58 AM   #4
MTH-JHP45

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Unusual for a JCP! The .40s and .45s seem to be a lot less prone to jams than the 9mm 10 rd mags. Yours may just still be stiff.

You might also try whacking the mag against the heel of your hand after loading. I usually give two whacks, once against the floorplate of the mag and once against the back. You should be able to hear and feel the rounds shifting around when you do it.

It may be useful to "work" the mag either by repeatedly loading and unloading it or by compressing the spring with a pencil or dowel repeatedly.

MTH

Never make absolute statements.
They are always wrong.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:06 AM   #5
Walt4595

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well if it is hitting the bottom of the feed ramp the lips may be too tight. Though before I did any adjusting of the lips I would load the mag up and let it set. With only 50 rounds through that mag your not even close to having that spring broken in yet. Also, the latest 40 mags have a dark green follower.

As was stated above..

You could also cycle rounds in and out of the mag by hand. And by hand I mean with the mag out of the weapon. Loading rounds by hand into the mag. Then taking your thumb and removing them from the mag. Cycling the live rounds in the pistol is dangerous and should never be done with this weapon.

Azoom or similar snap caps or clearly marked dummy rounds are fine to cycle in the pistol. Just don't expect the ejection to be flawless when doing it with snap caps or dummy rounds.

You may still need to adjust the feed lips. But I would get the mag spring broken in before I did anything major.

Walt

Old 04-19-2011, 03:11 AM   #6
MTH-JHP45

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It must be true that great minds think alike , Walt!

MTH

Never make absolute statements.
They are always wrong.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:48 AM   #7
Walt4595

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
It must be true that great minds think alike , Walt!

MTH
Thanks for the complement. But at my age it is more like that last brain cell, that was impervious to many many decades of alcohol, finally decided to start working tonight. :idea:

Old 04-19-2011, 04:03 AM   #8
mjames

I will start with working the mag spring some and adding the whack. Is it normal to have almost every clip jam on these products when new? That just doesn't seem right. Maybe I have a fluke. Either way will take the advice and use it to see what happens. I did see another post about 9mm jamming in a similar manner as mine and the one reply was to do with the last round hold open spring tension being to high. Any thoughts there?

I see there is a bulletin on white box winchester usage being not safe. Any other recommendations for some economical target ammo for this .40? Thanks again for the advice. You guys rock

Old 04-19-2011, 05:15 AM   #9
writerinmo

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

For target shooting in the .40 I use Federal Champion FMJ, available at most Walmarts, and Blazer brass FMJ that I buy at a local sporting goods store here, both are comparable in most areas to the WWB or in my case, cheaper. For JHP's, it ate everything I tried, I ended up settling with 180gr Remington UMC JHP's, also available at most walmarts.

I do a deburring on the underside of the mag ears on most mags when I get them, some fine sandpaper wrapped around a pencil works pretty well. I don't have any of the "new" mags, all mine had the orange follower, but even those had some flash around the edges that needed smoothed out. I tore mine down and did a part by part cleanup on them, and it's easier to do the mag ears with the guts out of it too.

My .40 was partial to feed problems with some of the new mags when I got them, but I worked out the specs that you find in the sticky and they seem to work for about everyone.

http://elby.yolasite.com/ mosin sight tools

“There are currently 37/38 states that are currently “shall issue” states. They also said they saw reductions in their violent crime rates, significant declines, because nobody wants to go duck hunting when five percent of the ducks can shoot back.”

Old 04-19-2011, 05:17 AM   #10
writerinmo

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Also, for loading mags it's hard to beat the Maglula Uplula speedloader for pistols.

http://elby.yolasite.com/ mosin sight tools

“There are currently 37/38 states that are currently “shall issue” states. They also said they saw reductions in their violent crime rates, significant declines, because nobody wants to go duck hunting when five percent of the ducks can shoot back.”

Quick Reply