Hipoint Firearms Forums > Hi-Point Firearms Discussion > Hi-Point Pistols > Jennings or Bryco 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
ConstantineC9

Default Jennings or Bryco 9mm

Who owns one? How does it shoot? New or used? Is it reliable? How much did you pay for it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
Silicon Wolverine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Had a jennings 380 years ago. Was pretty much a POS but i only paid 65$ for it. Around 500 rounds it started falling apart.

SW

Old 03-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
WVHunter129

Send a message via AIM to WVHunter129 Send a message via Yahoo to WVHunter129

I have a Bryco Arms Jennings Nine 9MM. I bought it a year ago used. Paid $129 for it. Purchased an extra magazine for it for $15.

It shoots very well, but at my CCW class I used it at the range and the only issue I had was I had the magazine fall out. I had it loaded with 5 rounds, after the 4th round the magazine fell out to the ground and the 5th round jammed between the slide and barrel. I worked the slide and got the 5th round, picked up the magazine and loaded it with the 5th round and finished my round. Now I had shot the pistold before and didn't have this issue, but I had only shot 12 rounds through it.

I figured that what had happened was the recoil caused my locking thumbs to engage the magazine release. But, since then I have went to the range and shot it again, making sure that my thumbs stayed away from the magazine release. Shot 4 rounds and the magazine dropped. It didn't come all the way out. It dropped just enough that it didn't pick up the 5th round. I drove it home and continued to shoot. Again it dropped down, but not all the way.

So, right now I am trying to decide if I want to order a new magazine release and spring and see if that is the issue or what.

The Jennings Nine IS NOT MY CCW pistol.

I carry my Hi-Point C9 and will also have a Llama Mini Max Sub Compact 45 ACP to carry as well. For my C9 I have two holsters for it...I have a Uncle Mike's #15 Ambidextrous Hip Holster w/extra mag pouch and a Uncle Mike's SideKick #15 horizontal shoulder holster. I am looking at getting the Fobus Paddle Holster for the C9.

The Bryco Jennings Nine 9MM is a fun gun to shoot. I just wouldn't use it as a self defense weapon. Some people have good ones that never seem to have any issues and some just have lemons. I think a lot of it can also be attributed to how well someone takes care of their firearms.

WVHunter129
Aim small...miss small
Chinese 7.62x39 SKS, 30-06 Remington 700 ADL, 30-06 Remington 742 BDL, 30-06 Remington 760 BDL, 8x57 German Mauser (K98), 9mm Hi-Point C9, Ruger 357/38 Blackhawk, Llama MiniMax Sub Compact 45 ACP, .50 Traditions blackpowder, 22 lr Norinco JW-15, Remington 552 ADL 22 lr, Ruger 10/22, 12 ga Remington 1100, 12ga Remington 870 shotgun

Old 03-23-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
Mike_AZ
U.S.S.

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Here is my only experiene with one. A friend of mine had bought one brand new a few years ago, but had never fired it. I told him I was going to the range and he wanted to tag along so he could finally fore it along with a Glock 30 he got from his father. We went to the range and he started with the Jennings 9mm. He fired his first shot, it went bang, and then promptly locked up. The slide wouldn't fully close on the next round. We manually cycled the slide a few times, but same result. We put it aside and continued to shoot his Glock and my JCP. I doubt my experience was typical, but there it is. There are many over on their forum who have had much greater luck with their's.

Mike

"There is no sanctuary" -Logan5

Old 03-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
big Jim T

Send a message via Yahoo to big Jim T

ok, I bought one new back 15 years ago. still have it not because it is worth a dang, because I cant get pieces for it. never got to shoot a box of ammo through it. looks great dont work at all. some may have good luck with them, I didnt and wont buy another one. just my own story.

God, family, and guns are the things I believe in.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:11 PM   #6
WVHunter129

Send a message via AIM to WVHunter129 Send a message via Yahoo to WVHunter129

big Jim T,

Have you looked at Numerich Gun Parts Corp for parts?

Their web address is:

http://www.e-GunParts.com

They carry parts for just about any gun out there. My Catalog #26 has my Jennings Nine in it and a few other Jennings, Raven, etc. Of course now they have like #28 or #29 catalog out now. But you may be able to find what you want or need on their website.

WVHunter129
Aim small...miss small
Chinese 7.62x39 SKS, 30-06 Remington 700 ADL, 30-06 Remington 742 BDL, 30-06 Remington 760 BDL, 8x57 German Mauser (K98), 9mm Hi-Point C9, Ruger 357/38 Blackhawk, Llama MiniMax Sub Compact 45 ACP, .50 Traditions blackpowder, 22 lr Norinco JW-15, Remington 552 ADL 22 lr, Ruger 10/22, 12 ga Remington 1100, 12ga Remington 870 shotgun

Old 03-24-2008, 12:35 AM   #7
ConstantineC9

So nobody thinks a new Jenning or Bryco would be reliable?

Old 03-24-2008, 12:44 AM   #8
Strangerous

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
So nobody thinks a new Jenning or Bryco would be reliable?
"Buy a real gun"
If you want to save some money, BERSA/Firestorms are great... they're a real gun minus the big price tag. PLUS you will not get b/s from the snobs at the range when you go. If you want to go a little step farther, get a Rock Island Armory 1911... S&W Sigma... or whatever, stop by every pawn shop and look at what they have, heck, hold one or two of them... the possibilties are endless...
Reliability is not an issue, it's the notoriety that comes with cheap handguns. When i say cheap i'm speaking of the price, not quality.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:09 AM   #9
ConstantineC9

[quote]

Quote:
"Buy a real gun"
If you want to save some money, BERSA/Firestorms are great... they're a real gun minus the big price tag. PLUS you will not get b/s from the snobs at the range when you go. If you want to go a little step farther, get a Rock Island Armory 1911... S&W Sigma... or whatever, stop by every pawn shop and look at what they have, heck, hold one or two of them... the possibilties are endless...
Reliability is not an issue, it's the notoriety that comes with cheap handguns. When i say cheap i'm speaking of the price, not quality.

I look at every gun in the pawn shop, I take time to admire each guns beauty. To tell you the truth, I like ''Saturday Night Specials'' . Call me crazy but I would rather have 10 $150 dollar guns than have 1 $1000 dollar gun.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:16 AM   #10
Strangerous

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

some folks think that hipoints look beautiful, and others think they are ugly as sin. Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder, and if you are making your decision on what has more bling, then i cannot help you out. You've got to practice being decisive. It's either yes or no. You'r not crazy... heck. look in my signature and see what the only "Real gun" i have is... A RUGER 10-22, the cheapest model (carbine) . So i'm with you 100% on being frugal, but don't be careless.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Quick Reply