Hipoint Firearms Forums > Hi-Point Firearms Discussion > Hi-Point Pistols > Question re: HP 45 pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
handy1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question re: HP 45 pistol

I went by my favorite gun shop today, where they normally have Hi-Point Pistols and asked about a .45 They are no longer stocking them, but will special order, because they are too big?! I have a C9 and am wondering just how much more difficult it is to handle the 45. Any comments will be welcome as I want to buy the .45

HP C9;Bersa Thunder .380, Henry Goldenboy .22, HP 995, SW 22A, SW MP15, Ruger Mark II, Stoeger 12 GA Coach Gun; RIA 1911A1 GI;Rossi 357Mag; Chiappa 1911-22; Mossberg 500 20 ga pump; 1942 Mosin Nagant 91/30; Ruger Security Six;AK47 (wasr10) Nagant Pistol, Walther P 38;RomTok TT33

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
squidbilly

Send a message via Yahoo to squidbilly
Default Re: Question re: HP 45 pistol

I have thte JHP and a Kimber Stainless 2 1911, physical size ia a little different. The weight is pretty close... a little heavy. I would definatly reccomend the JHP, I love mine. I love the weight and the balance, the slight recoil, and the ease I have bringing it up on target. My wife has issues with the weight, however she likes shooting the JHP and not the C-9, but LOVES the .380. If my wife can handle it well you should have no real issues. Hope my experience helps.

I carry a gun, because a cop is too heavy.

Marlin 917V w/BSA Sweet .17 2-7X32
Marlin 60 w/Center Point 3-9X32
Savage Mk2
Hi-Point JHP

Old 10-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
CoyoteUGLY

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 for the JHP.

I'm a small guy (5'6") & all my family is waaay smaller, they can all shoot it with ease and reasonable proficiency, including my wife (though her fibro makes her want to not do it very often) and 13yr old son who is barely to my shoulders.

Even with small hands it seems to point well, but always needa keep an eye on that front sight.

The recoil is very managable, prolly cuz the slide is so dang heavy most of the recoil is absorbed.

I NO LONGER recommend the hogue grip for it though, not unless you have unusually large paws. I was having trouble keeping shots tight at IDPA & one of the guys said my gun was too big for me. I took the Hogue OFF - bingo! It's factory all the way now! (except for the 1911 mags, dang they are EASY to convert!)

yup, +1 the JHP imho.

[size=8pt]"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen"
—Samuel Adams
[/size]

Old 10-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
PclaFla

I bought my JHP in January and am glad I did. Its lots of fun to shoot and recoil isn't that bad. I've only shot about 50 rounds through it, but no problems right out of the box. For HD I'd definitely go with the .45.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
squidbilly

Send a message via Yahoo to squidbilly

Ugly is right, nobody in my family has had any issues shooting my JHP! Im not exactly small at 5'10" 250lbs but most of my family is. And for keepin an eye on the front sight, there is no doubt about that. Im looking to make all mine bright yellow for easier visability. With any firearm you need to keep a clear front sight picture, you keep that in mind and your gonna be alright. I was a pretty decent shot before I learned that one, went to a few schools at Blackwater in NC, they drilled it into us and I never scored more that 3 points out of perfect score for my proficiency shoots after that. I really think your gonna love the HP .45, it is a great weapon.

I carry a gun, because a cop is too heavy.

Marlin 917V w/BSA Sweet .17 2-7X32
Marlin 60 w/Center Point 3-9X32
Savage Mk2
Hi-Point JHP

Old 10-07-2009, 11:36 PM   #6
Delmar

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
I went by my favorite gun shop today, where they normally have Hi-Point Pistols and asked about a .45 They are no longer stocking them, but will special order, because they are too big?! I have a C9 and am wondering just how much more difficult it is to handle the 45. Any comments will be welcome as I want to buy the .45
Hard to know what to tell you. My buddies 13 year old daughter like shooting mine, but my wife would prefer a smaller pistol. My best advice is to find a way to hold one. Then you will know. The other side of the coin is, it's less than $200. How big of risk is it to go ahead and order one?

I own 4 pistols, a 995 and a 12 ga SxS, the most expensive of which is my $200 Hi Point carbine.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:29 AM   #7
sean187

Quote:
Quote:
Hard to know what to tell you. My buddies 13 year old daughter like shooting mine, but my wife would prefer a smaller pistol. My best advice is to find a way to hold one. Then you will know. The other side of the coin is, it's less than $200. How big of risk is it to go ahead and order one?
No risk at all.if something did happen remember it has a liftime warranty
and they send it back with a free mag.i havent sent mine in or anything but the pro's
here told me.

A BULLET ALWAYS TELLS THE TRUTH

Old 10-08-2009, 01:42 AM   #8
makarovnik

It's somewhat heavy. More importantly it's top and muzzle heavy so it doesn't balance as nicely as the C9.

The recoil isn't snappy but contrary to what others have posted, I find it a bit stout. Kind of like a whack in the web of the hand.

The .40 is just right and I still like my large frame Hi-Points better than my small frame ones. They are more reliable and more accurate.

I can comfortably carry the C9 but the .45 is a challenge. I'm 5'-8" 210#.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:29 AM   #9
farmkid

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
It's somewhat heavy. More importantly it's top and muzzle heavy so it doesn't balance as nicely as the C9.

The recoil isn't snappy but contrary to what others have posted, I find it a bit stout. Kind of like a whack in the web of the hand.

The .40 is just right and I still like my large frame Hi-Points better than my small frame ones. They are more reliable and more accurate.

What he said for the most part, but I can't comment on the .40. Comfort falls into two areas: 1) What's it like when you hold/aim it, and 2) what's it like when you shoot it?

I have big hands, but still find that the C9 fits my hand a lot better than the top/front/heavy JHP. On the other hand, I think that the C9 kicks with a sharper snap, where the JHP gives a slower, softer push-back.

As for HD, I like the heavier .45 ACP round.

2011 Nominee: ZAMAC Award for Service: www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287701&page=2

Old 10-08-2009, 03:01 AM   #10
Delmar

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Quote:

What he said for the most part, but I can't comment on the .40. Comfort falls into two areas: 1) What's it like when you hold/aim it, and 2) what's it like when you shoot it?

I have big hands, but still find that the C9 fits my hand a lot better than the top/front/heavy JHP. On the other hand, I think that the C9 kicks with a sharper snap, where the JHP gives a slower, softer push-back.

As for HD, I like the heavier .45 ACP round.
I have never fired the C9, but I went to the gun store and held a C9 and a JHP before I bought the JHP. The C9 just left me feeling like I didn't have enough to hold on to. The JHP feels great to me. I simply feel like there is no one size fits all, when it comes to pistols.

I own 4 pistols, a 995 and a 12 ga SxS, the most expensive of which is my $200 Hi Point carbine.

Quick Reply