Hipoint Firearms Forums > Hi-Point Firearms Discussion > Hi-Point Carbines > .40 vs .45 Carbine Question(s)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 05:43 AM   #1
Saiga12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 3

Default .40 vs .45 Carbine Question(s)

Howdy,
Newbie here, haven't tried the Search/Archives yet but will soon.
Scout's Honor...Promise.
Background on this Query
While I am more than pleased with my Hi-Point .45 pistol I must admit I want a Kel-Tec .22 mag in both pistol and carbine as a first choice. They are both lightweight, easy to shoot, little recoil, very accurate and, of course both use the 30 round magazine. Weight of the pistol with a loaded 30 round magazine is roughly the same weight (felt) as a 12 oz, glass bottle of Miller Light (cold). the Carbine is heavier and has 2 or three magazines - can't remember- held vertically in the butt stock.
My reasoning is to have both carbine and pistol in the same caliber, both weapons to be lightweight with high capacity magazines and both must be accurate at 50, 100, 150 , plus yards and ammo must be under $17.00 a box. Lo and Behold... Kel-Tec makes em' and if you have a chance to rapid fire 30 rounds thru the pistol at a Man sized target at 50-60 yards you will freak at the speed and accuracy nearly every shot ...center of mass/center of head.
Unfortuneately, these guns are currently either impossible to find or outrageous in cost, MSRP is under $340 for the pistol but they go for $500.00 plus.
Having said all that I do have the Hi-Point .45 and that puppy is just plain BAD.,
Wether combat shooting at 10yds at multiple targets or coffee cans -and smaller- at 50 yards it runs with the Colts and Kimbers. Sure there may be a 1/2 inch difference on a 10/X ring target at 10 yards but if you place your index finger -flat- on either side of your nose ... it's less than that measurement they consistently beat me by. So for $158.00 I have zero complaints with the gun. And since I can't get a Kel-Tec 22mag for awhile I was hoping someone on the Forum has both a .40 and a .45 Hi- Point carbine or two guy's with one or the other who shoot together to give me an idea of weight, handling, accuracy and RANGE of both of these fine carbines. I am out of the reloading game these days so while you might comment on home rolled loads I really need the skinny on factory loads.
If you haven't caught on by inference... I'd prefer the .45,
Thanks in advance for any info.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
kyle663

If you can afford to feed it, i would get the 45 carbine. I put a red dot on mine and it shoots as good as i can.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
ajole
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4568 Times on 3192 Posts
Likes Given: 4065

The 40 and 45 are essentially the same gun.

At 100 yards the .40 has a slight advantage in accuracy, just due to the velocity of the round, but you can load .45's that will be as fast, so that may not matter. And even if the .45s are slow, you can adjust the sights to make POA=POI, so for target shooting at known distances, it makes no real difference.

I also think the .45 has a slightly easier managed recoil, making second and follow up shots faster. Not that the .40 has much recoil, but it is sharper.

He who smiles last....

......................thinks slowest.

Q

Not anything to do with me,...but SWAGA referred me to it...and it is pretty funny: The Ballad of Ajole
17 HP's and counting.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:14 AM   #4
showpare
Expert in Superfluities
HPF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Your JHP 45 and the 4595 carbine will share the same mags. That was one of the things that helped me pull the trigger on the 4595.

The 4595 loaded and one up the snoot, with two loaded mags on the stock mag holder is 9.25lbs. It handles real well and is easy to shoulder and points naturally, especially if you are using a sling for support. The range where I'm a member only goes out to 100 yards--I was punching holes in a 11x 17 target. I had good results at 25 and 50 as well on a 8.5X11. Here are some targets from the first range day with 4595.

These were shot standing and using a sling. There was very little recoil; I keep it pulled in tight with a good cheek weld on the stock. A couple rounds look like a keyhole. The backstop was chewed up pretty bad and the paper stuck to the plywood splinters pretty bad when I was removing them.

Only 9 rounds per factory mag. My carbine has 28 rounds of whoopass on board.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
Saiga12

Likes Given: 3

Thanks to all for the provided info/flicks.
Caliber .45 it is, now to decide on the model... :<)

Old 10-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
ajole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiga12 View Post
Thanks to all for the provided info/flicks.
Caliber .45 it is, now to decide on the model... :<)
Get whichever model is available as soon as you find it, or you might miss the chance to buy one, they seem to fly off shelves whenever they DO show up in a store.

The extra bits and pieces can be had separately from the HP store later, if you really want them.

He who smiles last....

Q

Not anything to do with me,...but SWAGA referred me to it...and it is pretty funny: The Ballad of Ajole
17 HP's and counting.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:50 AM   #7
seabreeze133

NEVER buy a stinking 40 Short & Weak when u can have a 45 ACP. )

If they cost to much to shoot, roll ur own. Lee makes a single stage press, 45 ACP dies etc in a kit that will get u in the game.

But a Dillon 550B is great. ) Some folks like the Square Deal B best. Had both and like the 550.

Cheers

Don

Old 10-16-2011, 02:36 AM   #8
LACHS

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

IMHO I prefer the 45 and would concer with seabreeze that since the HP can handle +P+, a hot load of the 45 can be as if not more accurate than the 40. That being said it is all preference at the end of the day. Good luck with your final choice...

Insanity by definition is doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome!

Many an argument was settled with a swinging rope and 45 colt..

45JHP
4595TS
357 SS Taurus 7 shot wheel
2 X 12ga. SBE II
Just to name a few...

Old 10-16-2011, 11:55 PM   #9
ajole

Of course, if you are rolling your own...you can roll a .40 that will make a normal .45 look silly, too.

He who smiles last....

Q

17 HP's and counting.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:23 AM   #10
rzrbax

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Default I have the .40

I have the .45 pistol and the .40 carbine. I can't think of anything I don't like about the 4095. I feel the same about the .45 pistol. You can't go wrong with the .40 or the .45 carbine.

ps I also have the C9 and the 9mm carbine. One cannot have enough HP's.

Bill

Quick Reply