Hipoint Firearms Forums > Hi-Point Firearms Discussion > Hi-Point Carbines > Trigger pull on 995TS - how good or bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
gunsrfun1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Trigger pull on 995TS - how good or bad?

Hello - I've been interested in adding a 9mm carbine to the collection for awhile, but I'm not crazy about spending a grand for an AR type (although I wish I could.) The Beretta Storm seems pretty good, but at around $750 it's still a bit pricey for something that will be used mainly for fun (but accurate) shooting. Forget the Kel-tec -- you call that a stock? This brings me to the HP 995TS, which I've read a bit about and handled just once, at a gun show. It fit me real well, but I couldn't dry fire it to get a feel for the trigger. So before I start scouting for one of these, my question is: How are the triggers on these things in terms of trigger pull weight, crispness of break, length of trigger pull, creep, etc. I'm fairly picky about wanting a nice crisp break and trigger pull no more than around 5 lbs. (I prefer 2-3 lbs.) I know this is a $300 gun so I shouldn't expect a Jewell trigger -- but I'm curious on what the consensus is, from those of you who own a 995 (no "opinions" from those who haven't shot one, please.) Thanks and sorry for the long intro.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 01:09 AM   #2
Yeoldetool

Liked 799 Times on 561 Posts
Likes Given: 904

Default Re: Trigger pull on 995TS - how good or bad?

Can't give you particulars. However, I polished the sear with a Dremel enough to get the paint and any machining burrs off. Because of the sear design it is a crisp break. It's one that the more you shoot it the better it gets. As far as tweaking there really isn't alot you can do to "accelerate" the break-in except a little polishing. The design is just to simple. There is a little creep but that is because of the length of the sear. You won't get 2-3 lbs because of direct spring pressure.

One more thing, these carbines are made to shoot, not collect. If it's a collectors piece your wanting, I fear you may be a little disappointed. Fun, Accurate, Reliable. That's what HP is.

"It isn't always being fast or even accurate that counts, it's being willing. I found out early that most men regardless of cause or need aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger and I won't." - The Shootist (John Wayne)

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Old 08-25-2010, 01:59 AM   #3
writerinmo

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The trigger lever and sear lever are stamped, which leaves a bit of an edge on the inside. A fine sandpaper or scotchbrite finishing pad in an air grinder makes short work of it, just remember to put a light coat of oil on them so they don't rust. This will help a lot, and it gets better the more you shoot it....

http://elby.yolasite.com/ mosin sight tools

“There are currently 37/38 states that are currently “shall issue” states. They also said they saw reductions in their violent crime rates, significant declines, because nobody wants to go duck hunting when five percent of the ducks can shoot back.”

Old 08-25-2010, 02:07 AM   #4
datank55

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am no gun expert, and I don't have a ton to compare it to, but I love the feel of the trigger pull and find mine breaks cleanly, and it surprises me.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:08 AM   #5
Super_Virgil

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Send a message via AIM to Super_Virgil Send a message via Yahoo to Super_Virgil

The more lead you put down range, the better it will get. It is rough out of the box. Cant give you numbers per say, but it does get much better.

Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.
Optimus Prime

You can find me at Pioneer Gun Club. Kansas city's only comprehensive gun club www.pioneergunclub.org

Old 08-26-2010, 12:43 AM   #6
gunsrfun1

Thank you all. Well, I did it. Took home a 995TS tonight. $280 out the door (incl. taxes, NICS check, etc.) The trigger pull is not that bad, at least on dry fire. It has a crisp break and no real creep. The pull is a bit long but you just have to "commit and pull." He had an Olympic Arms 9mm AR (for around $950), and that trigger wasn't really much better. Just couldn't see spending that much right now. For $280, even if I hate it, I won't feel like I bankrupted myself.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:49 AM   #7
p-t-max

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Believe me, if you shoot it, you won't hate it. 8)

http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/p-t-max/Hi-Point%20Carbine/?albumview=slideshow

Old 08-26-2010, 12:52 AM   #8
dahed

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Hey, Hey, Hey! Congrats on 'pulling the trigger'. These are not only effective little carbines, but also so much fun to shoot. Let us know when you get to take it out and play - and we love pics.

Nec asperra terrant

Old 08-26-2010, 01:32 AM   #9
gunsrfun1

Thank you sir.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:43 AM   #10
Festus_Hagen

Quote:
Thank you all. Well, I did it. Took home a 995TS tonight. $280 out the door (incl. taxes, NICS check, etc.) The trigger pull is not that bad, at least on dry fire. It has a crisp break and no real creep. The pull is a bit long but you just have to "commit and pull." He had an Olympic Arms 9mm AR (for around $950), and that trigger wasn't really much better. Just couldn't see spending that much right now. For $280, even if I hate it, I won't feel like I bankrupted myself.
You won't hate it...lol.

Good call on the AR. I personally don't like them in 9mm. The 995 seems to be a bit more reliable dirty than an AR might be, but it's also harder to clean I expect (I have not done mine yet.) The 995 is pretty accurate as well. For the money like you said, you didn't get raped! :embarrassed2:

It is what it is.

Quick Reply