Hipoint Firearms Forums > Hi-Point Firearms Discussion > Hi-Point Carbines > it works!! 4595 + 25rd drum mag = good fun!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 03:08 AM   #1
CoyoteUGLY
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default it works!! 4595 + 25rd drum mag = good fun!

I bought one of those 25rd ProMag drums marked for the 1911 & promptly took it to the range. After MUCH frustration we concluded that it is at best the most intimidating 7rd 1911 mag on the market (cuz that is ALL we could get to feed consistently, the last 7rds).

But, i sure liked the idea. So I began rolling it around in my noggin... every malfunction was a nose-up mis-feed. After a good bit of observation it was clear that all but the top round were running perpendicular to the back of the mag tube, and since the feed ramp on the 1911 is pretty shallow, the bullets were not getting a good angle...

nuff about non-Hi-Points... to the 4595 (having finally made a purchase yesterday) I noticed it has a beautiful feed ramp, low & long... then the light-bulb floating overhead went luminous & I hadda marry the 4595 with the ProMag drum.

SORRY to say I was so excited this morning that I forgot the vid-cam. Will try to get to that soon, but let me report:

I loaded it bulging-full of 230g FMJ (white box), clicked it into place (a bit more tricky that the mod i wrote about for the JHP & std 1911 mags) and pulled the trigger till it ran dry. In the course of the day i did have a couple mis-feeds with it, but ProMag does say to use FMJ bullets & i had tried some cast lead. It liked JHPs too.

So to report on the 4595 itself, IT WAS WORTH THE WAIT!! The white box stuff seemed to only drop a few inches at 100yds, and was pretty-much dead-on at 50yds. I had to tweek it to the left just a hair, but otherwise right fm the box it's a beaut!

I have zero complaints.

NOW I have to descide if i should keep it tactical black, or paint camo it like my SKS - since it's pretty likely this will replace the old Chi-Com. Input???

[size=8pt]"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen"
—Samuel Adams
[/size]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2010, 03:20 AM   #2
Yeoldetool

Liked 794 Times on 559 Posts
Likes Given: 904

Default Re: it works!! 4595 + 25rd drum mag = good fun!

I need a picture of it with the drum in it.
^-^

"It isn't always being fast or even accurate that counts, it's being willing. I found out early that most men regardless of cause or need aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger and I won't." - The Shootist (John Wayne)

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Old 10-18-2010, 03:21 AM   #3
CoyoteUGLY

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

gottit...

[size=8pt]"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen"
—Samuel Adams
[/size]

Old 10-18-2010, 03:21 AM   #4
datank55

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My input is that I am jealous as heck. And here I am all excited because my 995ts has a promag that happens to fit 16 rounds so I have a total capacity of 17. And that is 9 mm. And then you have to be the guy with a .45 high capacity. I see green. Seriously though, good stuff, and lets get some pics and a video if you are feeling generous!

Old 10-18-2010, 03:44 AM   #5
CoyoteUGLY

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

dunno if it's worth goin green over Tank, but admittedly, it's fun!

More fun though, in my book anyway, is that HP made the mags interchange with my pistol, God love 'em!! :cry2:

I doubt i'll use the hi-cap alot unless the zombie hordes march on us (er, stagger?). But this could seriously influence my choise of sidearm now when I'm hunting. Since it's likely the 4595 will be on my shoulder it's a good bet the JHP will find it's way onto my belt more than my usual carry pistol now.

—Samuel Adams
[/size]

Old 10-18-2010, 04:00 AM   #6
LRTEKE

i like it. can we get some more specific, specs?

Old 10-18-2010, 04:12 AM   #7
CoyoteUGLY

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

specs...

i'll compare it to the conversion for the JHP... http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php/topic,29151.0.html and say that for the 4595 it's NOT just a slip-in change, i had to make permanent mods to the carbine - something I wouldn't recommend to others...

1) firstly, i trimmed the grip slightly (actually I hogged a big chunk off, as u can see, but that's cuz my saw went wild).

2) also hadda modify the mag per the above-quoted sticky.

3) This mag fits awfully loose in the 4595 so i added some plastic shims to the left side of the mag to assure a solid snag on the mag catch.

I may try to monkey around with fitting it to my JHP soon, but in the first days of deer season here, so my mind is on black powder right now... whats a cartridge? A magazine? haha

nuf details?

—Samuel Adams
[/size]

Old 10-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
RandyP

Cool mod! Glad it works for you.

I wonder out loud how well the magazine catch and related bits will hold up to the weight of that 'anvil' you have hanging under there - lol -

I dunno what you will be hunting, but obviously they come in herds -lol- zombies of Earth.....BEWARE!

Several firearms in .22LR, .380ACP, 9mm, 7.62x25 and .45ACP. Lee reloading gear.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
47_MasoN_47
You know who I am

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Send a message via ICQ to 47_MasoN_47 Send a message via AIM to 47_MasoN_47

Oh man, I really want to see some videos of this thing! I also applaud you for just getting that drum to work! I've read tons of people that can't even get it to function in the 1911, the weapon it was made for, then here you go not only getting it to work, but getting it to work in a different gun than originally intended! Kudos to you man, hardcore kudos to you!

Old 10-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #10
godlessdustin

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I dig it. I wont be modifying my carbine for one though.

Quick Reply