Hipoint Firearms Forums > Hi-Point Firearms Discussion > Hi-Point Reviews & Range Reports > JHP 45 vs other guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
TheGunMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default JHP 45 vs other guns

I purchased a Glock 36 to use as my primary carry gun. Went to the range and shot 4 guns. Taurus PT99, Kal-Tec PF9, Glock36 and my Hi Point JHP. (I did good with all but on with the story)
The trigger on the Taurus has a lot of front end free play but pulls nice and smooth. Nice gun
The Kal-Tec is a little rough to shoot. (Almost 9lb trigger pull because there is no safety) Shoots good for such a small gun.
JHP .45 pulls smooth through the whole range and goes bang almost as a surprise because no tell tale drag through the whole trigger pull.
Glock 36 is really accurate and a nice feel in my hand. The trigger is a bit like a new revolver, pulls a little hard then stops just before the hammer drops.

It was a great day at the range with some nice guns but in conclusion, my favorite was the HP JHP 45. Least felt recoil and best trigger feel. A little thick in the hand but I love this gun.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.
'G. K. Chesterton
Join the NRA. It is our best line of defense.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
rickyg73

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Re: JHP 45 vs other guns

i really never compare guns, as each is its own, they have "personalities", kind of like comparing a ford to a chevy, yeah they both have parts named the same thing, but they are totally different!

Old 08-25-2010, 01:27 AM   #3
FRED J WAHL

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Hey! I would have to agree with you, on the H-P Handguns, (and Carbines), I now own 7 Hi-Points, which include two .45's, I have one of the early ones with the conventional grips, and the later one with the "battery pack" grips, both shoot very well, and can go toe-to-toe with my 1911, and S&W 625 in .45 ACP. I only shoot them at 25 yards, and use my own targets with only a 4" bullseye, along with my own handloads. It's a hoot to compare the targets, afterwards, and see that a H-P that cost me about $150. each, can come very close to the S&W that has had trigger work done to it, and cost more than 4 times what ONE H-P .45 costs!
John Taffin, the gun writer did an article some time back, in which he compared his tricked-out 1911, that cost him well over two Grand, and a Plain Jane Hi-Point .45 ACP. He was embarrassed to admit that the H-P .45 beat his "Safe Queen" 1911, in accuracy!
Who'd have thought? (ME!)
Cheers,
Fred (Honcho)

Old 08-25-2010, 01:45 AM   #4
unscarred

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:

John Taffin, the gun writer did an article some time back, in which he compared his tricked-out 1911, that cost him well over two Grand, and a Plain Jane Hi-Point .45 ACP. He was embarrassed to admit that the H-P .45 beat his "Safe Queen" 1911, in accuracy!
Who'd have thought? (ME!)
Cheers,
Fred (Honcho)
I have that article somewhere.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
TheGunMan

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
i really never compare guns, as each is its own, they have "personalities", kind of like comparing a ford to a chevy, yeah they both have parts named the same thing, but they are totally different!
Don't read Gun reviews, car and driver or poke around any forums? What do you use to make your purchase decisions?

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.
'G. K. Chesterton

Old 08-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
gotthegoods

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Don't read Gun reviews, car and driver or poke around any forums? What do you use to make your purchase decisions?
dart board
Old 09-05-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
North Idaho Shooter

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I purchased aJHP some months back, and enjoy shooting it as much as any .45 I own. I must admit, that from a strictly nostalgic/emotional standpoint, I still have a preference for my 1911--but then again, I've also had it for nearly 25 years, and up until about 6 years ago, it was my primary carry gun. I've since taken to carrying a Glock Model 30 (.45 ACP, compact, 10 shot +1). The JHP is just as accurate as almost any other pistol in it's class that I have shot, and the price is fantastic.

As far as comparison, I tend to read what some people have to say, but ultimately, if it's something that I want, I'll eventually end up with it, regardless of what the "experts" say.

Neve underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:44 AM   #8
TheGunMan

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

North Idaho Shooter, I carry the G36 same as the G30 you have but a single stack magazine so it is a little thinner. I agree with you, everyone needs to make their own choices, I to, use everything I can find to narrow my purchase preferences but you are right, must make your own decisions.

'G. K. Chesterton

Old 04-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
mmkkpro

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Hey guys been a while since ive posted,but i just completed my ccw class and used my jhp.45,i was proud to be in class with it,i could see the noses rising,but it will out shoot my NMGC 1911 anyday,i was a stonemason for 30 years and i like the weight of the jhp,its accurate,no jams,nothing bad to report,i like the fact its proudly made in america,the warranty os the best in the business bar none,thinking about a .45 carbine by hipoint,i like simple,uesful,rugged weapons and this one qualifies in those catagories,it reminds me of the way russians build their guns,it is a good dependable handgun glad i got it.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
ajole
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4550 Times on 3179 Posts
Likes Given: 4054

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGunMan View Post
I usually check them AFTER I buy some gun that was crazy cheap.

He who smiles last....

......................thinks slowest.

Q

Not anything to do with me,...but SWAGA referred me to it...and it is pretty funny: The Ballad of Ajole
17 HP's and counting.

Quick Reply