Hipoint Firearms Forums > Hi-Point Firearms Discussion > Hi-Point Reviews & Range Reports > Range Target Selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
Ranger-6
HPF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 468 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 1620

Default Range Target Selection

Well, it's off to the range to check out a new target idea. I was at Family Farm and Home and found this Osmundson 1/4 "Ducksfoot S-tine Sweep OK-4. I figured to drive two steel posts in to the ground about 2-feet apart and hang the tine center with para-cord.

It should work like the gongs, but at a much lower price. I paid $.99 for each post, $5.00 for the para-cord, and $2.99 for the tine. Since the tine is 1/4" steel it could be used for a very long time.

image.jpg  

Learning through experience can be deadly...

Last edited by Ranger-6; 05-03-2012 at 01:54 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
Yeoldetool

Liked 803 Times on 562 Posts
Likes Given: 904

I would be very concerned about deflections and ricochets with the contour of the surface, and if it's cast iron it will probably crack. I've seen many plow tines and blades but never a cast one.

"It isn't always being fast or even accurate that counts, it's being willing. I found out early that most men regardless of cause or need aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger and I won't." - The Shootist (John Wayne)

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Old 05-03-2012, 01:53 AM   #3
Ranger-6
HPF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoldetool View Post
...I've seen many plow tines and blades but never a cast one.
Yea, after looking at it, it looks like a steel stamping blade, made in Brazil.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:37 AM   #4
Chromehorn13
Mike.357

Liked 191 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 80

If ricochets are not an issue it looks like fun.

Nothing beats ringing some steel

Tennessee, the patron state of shooting stuff.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:37 AM   #5
Bitsman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 332 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6 View Post
Well, it's off to the range to check out a new target idea. I was at Family Farm and Home and found this Osmundson 1/4 "Ducksfoot S-tine Sweep OK-4. I figured to drive two steel posts in to the ground about 2-feet apart and hang the tine center with para-cord.

It should work like the gongs, but at a much lower price. I paid $.99 for each post, $5.00 for the para-cord, and $2.99 for the tine. Since the tine is 1/4" steel it could be used for a very long time.
Got no clue what that is.....?????

You dont mention what you will be shooting this with.... I can tell you that regular 1/4 inch steel WILL NOT stand up to 9mm shooting for very long. Its fine for 22lr.... If you are looking for gong type targets... I hit local scrap yards... I can usually find 6x6 1/2 inch thick steel plates laying around. Cost 20 cents a pound. If you have a cutting torch then you can also pick up sections of heavy duty "I" beams and do some cutting yourself...

Cast wont last more then a shot or two... I picked up a 4 inch cast iron skillet a few weeks ago.. I lasted 6 22lr hits at about 20 yards before it shattered... That was $5 well spent...

"...Three days ago, I passed a truck that will haul that rig. You wanna get out of here? You talk to me..."
....Mad Max....

...." G@#dammit, I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it'd do any good! ..."
...Can you name the movie?...

.."It is a pity that my collection of trophies contains not a single Russian."...
... Manfred Von Richthofen...(The Red Baron)...

Old 05-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
Ranger-6
HPF_SUPPORTER.png

Here it is: I went to the range and set up shop to shoot the 4595TS Hi Point carbine at the Ducksfoot S-tine Sweep. As predicted the ParaCord did not hold. While smacking the Sweep around with .45 FMJ bullets the sharp edges around the mounting hole cut the ParaCord.

Some sort of link and length of chain will be designed. I was shooting at 25 and 30 yards and the Sweep only had splatter marks. No bullet went thru nor did the Sweep crack. The Sweep was hung between two 5/16" iron fence poles, 24-inches apart, 2-feet off the ground, with the shaped spade angle down and towards the rear for deflection.

No ricochets back towards the shooting bench was experienced. It was a good, safe shoot; I am going to get a few more to use, but a little larger ones.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #7
gasman42
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 246 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Heres a idea for some cool Silhouette targets, take a regular Silhouette trace it onto cardboard.(cut out) tape florescent construction paper to the cardboard with clear tape, Cover the entire Silhouette with clear tape then spray paint with black gloss Paint, now you have Shoot and see targets.

Quick Reply