Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > General Firearms Discussion > Challenge: Cheapest .50 caliber rifle non-black powder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
neothespian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Challenge: Cheapest .50 caliber rifle non-black powder

Just as the headline says. I was thinking about this and was wondering: Just how inexpensive can someone get a non-black powder .50 caliber rifle to keep in the collection ? Obviously it may not be the best tactical choice for much of anything, but when you're looking for an exotic range gun that won't *totally* break the bank, this could be interesting...

Is there such a thing as an "inexpensive" .50?

"Generally speaking, art is an expression of man’s need for an harmonious and complete life, that is to say, his need for those major benefits of which a society of classes has deprived him. That is why a protest against reality, either conscious or unconscious, active or passive, optimistic or pessimistic, always forms part of a really creative piece of work. Every new tendency in art has begun with rebellion."- Leon Trotsky

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Thorn 242

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to Thorn 242 Send a message via MSN to Thorn 242 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorn 242
Default Re: Challenge: Cheapest .50 caliber rifle non-black powder

http://vulcanarmament.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product.html&setup=1&ida=163&idp=85&his=0|85&cart_ id=9583129.73

http://vulcanarmament.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product.html&setup=1&ida=161&idp=85&his=0|85&cart_ id=9583129.73

these are kinda like the HPs.....cheaper than the rest.....and of course, gets a bad rep from the gun snobs because its not a Barrett......fifties arent cheap to shoot either.......unless you take up re-loading......but still....your money.....wouldnt mind getting one myself.......for sage rat shooting......j/k.....

Old 12-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
Silicon Wolverine

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

vulcan has a history of shoddy assembly and poor quality. they used to go by some names like hesse and blackthorne. thier product is so collosally bad they change names every 3-5 years so they can continue selling product.

are they cheap? yep. Do they work out of the box? Almost never. are they safe? do you want the most powerful legal small arm you can buy, that was made by a company that managed to make AK clones that were inoperable?

i normally HATE bashing but in this case its justified. vulcan is JUNK plain and simple.

if you want a cheap 50 think about buying an AR upper.

SW

Old 12-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
Bobsunshine

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep, go with AR upper conversion assuming you have a lower to put it on.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Thorn 242

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to Thorn 242 Send a message via MSN to Thorn 242 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorn 242

not gona argue.....I don't have any experience w/ .50 rifles other than BP......and of course the "ma deuce".......just looking.......could try one of the kits (not worth the trouble) or the old LAR Grizz.......there is the Armalite .50......$2500......lot of vig for a bullet launcher......but he did say cheap so.......

Old 12-25-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
vick1000

Liked 158 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Upper for AR if you have one, if not you are looking at $2-3K minimum new for a decent one (Armalite single shot), compared to about $1700 for an AR upper.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #7
SpecialK47150

Just from some google searching and reading on other gun boards, Vulcan itself doesn't appear to be too bad since the name change from Hesse or whatever. Take from it what you will, but google "Vulcan Arms review" and just see what some of them say.

Now, with that said, I value SW's opinion more than most, especially some unknown on another gun board, so yeah.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:49 PM   #8
Silicon Wolverine

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

directly from thier site, this is a pretty shoddiest warranty policy

"Based on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act, Vulcan Arms Inc. offers no warranty on its product line. Vulcan Arms Inc. is extremely concerned with its customers' satisfaction."

that right there should tell you everything you need to know.

SW

Old 12-26-2010, 12:02 AM   #9
vick1000

Liked 158 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
directly from thier site, this is a pretty shoddiest warranty policy

"Based on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act, Vulcan Arms Inc. offers no warranty on its product line. Vulcan Arms Inc. is extremely concerned with its customers' saftey."

that right there should tell you everything you need to know.

SW
They mean "saftey", "satisfaction" was a typo..

Old 12-26-2010, 03:22 AM   #10
Jungle George

Liked 38 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I guess I'm just a tightwad but $1900 seems like a lot of money for a "Bottom of the line" firearm. I would love to be able to have a 50 cal but at those prices I think I would rather go to a range that had them for rent and be out a couple hundred bucks for rental and ammo. It would be a sort of one and done proposition just to be able to say I did it.

Likewise if I had the coin I would rent a Lamborghini for a couple of days.

Quick Reply