You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Hipointfirearmsforums.com    

Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > General Firearms Discussion > HOW-TO: DIY pistol case (original idea by Budddha)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 06:01 AM   #1
47_MasoN_47
You know who I am
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Send a message via ICQ to 47_MasoN_47 Send a message via AIM to 47_MasoN_47
Default HOW-TO: DIY pistol case (original idea by Budddha)

After receiving the divine inspiration from Budddha (yeah...lame joke) I decided to make my own DIY pistol case. I'd been thinking about it for a while, but after seeing his it made me think that instead of making the box from scratch, why not use something common. I went to Wally World and picked up this Vaultz 128CD binder for $30 and some change.

After getting it home, I took my wire cutters to the rivets on the inside that hold the rings in place (there are 6 total), squeezed the rivet thing together so that the binder rings would slide over them and then super glued the rivets in so that there wouldn't be any ugly holes in the side and it would still look like a CD binder.

I took this after I had already removed the rings, I just set them back in place so you could see what it looked like before.

And here's after the rings are removed.

For the foam, I used some foam padding that came in a box that IBM shipped a replacement RAID controller in for our server at work. It just so happened that it was exactly the right size For those of you that aren't lucky enough to have to replace a RAID controller, you should be able to buy foam similar to this at a hobby store.

Now, all that's left is for you to place your weapon of choice over the foam, draw an outline, and cut out a 1" deep (or thereabout) trench in the shape of your pistol(s). This case will comfortably hold both my Glock and 1911. I'm going to get another piece of that foam from work so I can cut slots for my Ruger MKIII and CZ-52 and have an interchangeable case (until I buy another CD binder to mod ) You should be able to fit 2 full size pistols and up to 5 smaller pistols in here. The netting on the left side of the case makes a nice mag holder

Here's a picture with the 1911 slot cut out, I used a utility knife with a razor blade to cut the outline (in about 5 square inch segments) then used my fingers to pull the foam out. It worked well. This whole project has taken about 45 mins so far, including writing this and taking pictures.

I hope this helps somebody out there. I know you can buy pistol cases for pretty cheap, but it's always fun to make them yourself!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
panoz77
HPF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 319 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Re: HOW-TO: DIY pistol case (original idea by Budddha)

Sorry to rain on your parade, but you can get a fairly nice pistol case for $30.00 :cantlook:

If you had said your project was $5.00, I'd say good job 8), but you had some fun so that is worth something

Smoke em' if you got em'

Old 03-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
47_MasoN_47
You know who I am

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That's why I included this line at the bottom :P

Quote:
I hope this helps somebody out there. I know you can buy pistol cases for pretty cheap, but it's always fun to make them yourself!

Old 03-19-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Pistol Pete

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I think it looks S W E E T and the outside looks a lot better than just the plain jane black molded plastic ones...... Yours has fancy C L A S S !!!!!!!!! nice job..............

Old 03-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
gtv

It does look nice. I have an aluminum case for my telescope eyepieces that looks a lot like that, which came with pluckable foam cell padding so you can customize the inside to fit whatever you like. I like the webbing on the top case-half... it would be useful for holding targets, owners manuals, etc. Good job.

It's not a technicality... it's not an opinion... it's not up for debate... it's the United States Constitution.

Ientabimus, precatione facta, in campo manuballistulario.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
47_MasoN_47
You know who I am

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I didn't think about using the webbing for targets and stuff, I think that's what it'll go for! Thanks for the idea gtv.

I really like the looks of this case as well. I almost feel like one of those hitmen from the movies carrying it around haha.

Here's some more pictures for the fun of it:

Old 03-23-2009, 02:15 AM   #7
markymark

Nice work. That looks really good. It's also inspired me to make one too. I've decided to make mine from an old poker chip case. Thanks for the idea.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:00 AM   #8
Strangerous

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do not use marker to mark your outline!
Use chalk! It can be wiped away when you are done, and will look better...

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
godlessdustin

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I think I may get my hands on a used glock fairly soon so I think Im going to make a case out of something like this but i dont think Im going to cut the foam padding any, my c9 fits in its case nicely with out the pointy pieces of the foam being pulled off.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #10
47_MasoN_47
You know who I am

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Chalk...that's a good idea! I have some other pieces of foam so I think I'll remake it.

godlessdustin, I got my Glock used (I think it was an police gun) I dunno how many times it's been fired but I couldn't be happier with it. I did change the slide release to an extended slide release, added a 3.5lb Shrererere(whatever) trigger connector and a recoil buffer to it to get it the perfect But I haven't ever had a jam or anything out of it.

Quick Reply