Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > General Firearms Discussion > How do you "fluff 'n buff" a Jimenez JA22??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
pearlygates
Bible wielding Patriot!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How do you "fluff 'n buff" a Jimenez JA22??

Sorry for the nOOb question.. But what the heck is fluff n buff and if anyone knows, how do I do this to my Jimmy JA22 that I will be picking up ina few days?
Thanks for not running me off with torches and pitchforks!

@mods.. feel free to move this thread to the gunsmithing forum.

On the Hunt for a camo JCP ...

Last edited by pearlygates; 03-27-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
adam01364
HPF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 86 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I own a couple of these SNS pistols. I would suggest you look at this site for general Zamak 'fluff & buff' procedures. The featured firearm is a Jimenez 380, but the general principles apply. http://concealed-carry.5u.com/.
You might also check out the Bryco-Jennings-Jimenez forum, they have a specific section for JA-22 http://bryco-jennings-jimenezarms.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=25

Last edited by adam01364; 03-27-2012 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Added info on Jennings website

Old 03-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
lklawson
HPF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Liked 2375 Times on 1574 Posts
Likes Given: 2693

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlygates View Post
Sorry for the nOOb question.. But what the heck is fluff n buff and if anyone knows,
A "Fluff 'n Buff" is a procedure to enhance reliability of a firearm by disassembling and smoothing out rough spots in contact areas of moving parts. Smoothing is usually done with varying grits of sandpaper, wet-dry sandpaper, and/or emery cloth, often up to a polish using rouge or some other polishing compound. Focal areas usually (generically) include the slide rails, the slide rail interface on the slide, the hammer interface, the feed ramp, barrel port in slide, firing pin, firing pin channel, and generally any sharp right angle edges that come in contact or wear against other moving parts.

Many of these surfaces will wear in and mate all on their own during a "break in" period of use, similar to a brand new automobile engine. However, some people prefer to skip the frustration of a wear-in period or find that the break in never sufficiently solves reoccurring function issues.

Quote:
how do I do this to my Jimmy JA22 that I will be picking up ina few days?
As above, the B/J/J forum is a good resource for this. Be careful not to be too aggressive with the sanding. ZAMAK is a strong alloy but not a particularly hard one and it is possible to remove too much material and negatively impact function, or even safety.

Quote:
Thanks for not running me off with torches and pitchforks!
Just because we answer doesn't mean we won't pull out the pitchforks anyhow. As Vector says, "UNPREDICTABLE! OH YEAH!!!"

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk why-yes-I-do-have-kids-how-did-you-know Lawson
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning and maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
popeye Likes This 
Old 03-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
pearlygates
Bible wielding Patriot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam01364 View Post
I own a couple of these SNS pistols. I would suggest you look at this site for general Zamak 'fluff & buff' procedures. The featured firearm is a Jimenez 380, but the general principles apply. http://concealed-carry.5u.com/.
You might also check out the Bryco-Jennings-Jimenez forum, they have a specific section for JA-22 http://bryco-jennings-jimenezarms.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=25
Ahh yes.. Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lklawson View Post
A "Fluff 'n Buff" is a procedure to enhance reliability of a firearm by disassembling and smoothing out rough spots in contact areas of moving parts. Smoothing is usually done with varying grits of sandpaper, wet-dry sandpaper, and/or emery cloth, often up to a polish using rouge or some other polishing compound. Focal areas usually (generically) include the slide rails, the slide rail interface on the slide, the hammer interface, the feed ramp, barrel port in slide, firing pin, firing pin channel, and generally any sharp right angle edges that come in contact or wear against other moving parts.

Many of these surfaces will wear in and mate all on their own during a "break in" period of use, similar to a brand new automobile engine. However, some people prefer to skip the frustration of a wear-in period or find that the break in never sufficiently solves reoccurring function issues.

As above, the B/J/J forum is a good resource for this. Be careful not to be too aggressive with the sanding. ZAMAK is a strong alloy but not a particularly hard one and it is possible to remove too much material and negatively impact function, or even safety.

Just because we answer doesn't mean we won't pull out the pitchforks anyhow. As Vector says, "UNPREDICTABLE! OH YEAH!!!"

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk why-yes-I-do-have-kids-how-did-you-know Lawson
Hahaha... thanks man!

Old 04-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
pearlygates
Bible wielding Patriot!

Update: I did a fluff n buff on both of my ja22s. I have had my black one to the range since, and let me tell you.. what a difference! Its like a different pistol!! Mag after mag, this little shooter just kept eatin the rounds! Anyone on the fence about these little guns..Im here to say that if you take the time to do some minor cleanup and polishing, these pistols can be made pretty darn reliable! Love it!

Old 04-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
trouble0214

I am waiting for jimenez to send me back my ja nine but it is a great gun i like it alot i put about 500 rounds through b4 it started to stovepipe but still a great gun

Old 04-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
pearlygates
Bible wielding Patriot!

I just bought a Nine off of armslist for $90..
The seller threw in 100rds of ammo and a hard case. I made the mistake of removing both grips and had the mag release button fall out with the spring.

I have spent hours trying to reinstall the spring with no luck! I am a member over at the Bryco-Jennings-Jimenesarms forum..
Ive been trying to log on there and get some assistance getting this gun back together, but the site is down. I think they are moving servers or something.

So far I have 4 JA pistols.. I have to sort out a mag feed issue on my 32 and test my other 22. I am going to be ordering a polished chrome 22 in a week or two.

I must be one of the odd men out as I like my JA pistols!

Quick Reply