Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > General Firearms Discussion > Iver Johnson 9 shot 22 revolver problem and fix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
lklawson
HPF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Liked 2129 Times on 1418 Posts
Likes Given: 2395

Default Iver Johnson 9 shot 22 revolver problem and fix

I bought an old Iver Johnson for the wife to target shoot with. It is DA/SA and has fixed target sights and a 9 round, breaktop, cylinder. It's a model "22 Supershot." Apparently from what I could google, it was manufactured between 1928 and 1941. It is a very limited production revolver with only 22,650 manufactured. It came in 7 and 9 round versions.

I'd love it if it weren't for the fact that the chambers are tight. When clean and lubed, .22LR cartridges slip in for the most part (sorta) but a few of them need just a wee bit of pressure. They don't all just "drop" in. After running between one and 3 cylinders, 27 rounds at most top, the chambers are heat-expanded and dirty and significant force is required to jam in half of the rounds, they often don't sit as flush as they should, and (once fired) the brass so stuck in the chamber that frequently the ejector will slip off of rim causing literal jams. Yes, in a revolver.

And this is the improvement. Yes, it was worse to start with.

I figured that some old timer had been shooting .22 Shorts out of it and leaded it all to heck so I got the right chem and went as far as to buy a brand new brass .22 brush. That helped but not enough. I ended up chucking the brush in my drill and reaming the chambers with the brush. There is NO lead fouling in the chambers and they still bind after very little use.

This upsets me because I bought it for my wife to target shoot with. She HATES it and generally sticks with the .22LR SAA (Ruger) she inherited from her father. She's freaking deadeye with either one, but the IJ should be faster to load and unload (if it were working right) with 3 more rounds in the cylinder. I'm also torqued because it's a nice looking gun. It has some sort of burl rosewood grips. Very attractive. Another thing that honks me off is that I passed up a Kel Tec PMR30 for (get this) $350 (yes, Three Hundred Fifty Dollars) so that I'd be sure to have enough money to buy this revolver. <cry>

I'm was certain that what it really needs is for a smith to increase the I.D. of the chambers by a few hundreths, but I did some more googling and was reminded of what I should have thought of in the first place. (facepalm) The 22 rounds made when this old pistol was in production were often corrosive. So, while the bbl looks OK (not great, mind you, but OK), the chambers themselves turned out to be really rough, almost sandpapery, just past the length of a .22 Short.

So, I got a bur under my saddle last night and wrapped a bit of 3M scrub pad (normally used for dishes) around an old .22 bore brush. I applied some Metal Glo, which I normally use for cleaning and polishing knives & swords, inside each of the chambers, then I chucked up the brush in my cordless drill and polished the inside of every chamber.

Wow, what a difference! The rounds just drop in now! huzzah!

Sadly, I'll probably be next year before I get a chance to test it out, but still, I'm hopeful.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning and maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
duster066
HPF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Liked 1300 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 2009

While reading this I was going to respond with something silly, like locating a 1/4" ball hone. You fixed it quick and easy without the expense. I need to find me an old beat up revolver to piddle with.

"In order to finish first, first you must finish."
USAF, 1980-1988
http://www.oldwheelgunshop.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/pages/OWGS/470902946300089

Old 11-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
lklawson
HPF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster066 View Post
While reading this I was going to respond with something silly, like locating a 1/4" ball hone. You fixed it quick and easy without the expense. I need to find me an old beat up revolver to piddle with.
Sure. There's some pitting on the frame. A buddy is trying to convince me to refinish by stripping and doing a black-salts rust job. Apparently it's similar to bluing but ends up with more of a deep black finish.

I wish I'd have remembered about the corrosive .22 primers 8 months ago. :P

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning and maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."

Old 12-10-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
taker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

r u SURE that it's an IJ and 9 shot? All I've seen were 8 shot cylinders. The 9 shooters were either H and R or High Standard, IIRC?

Old 12-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
lklawson
HPF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by taker View Post
r u SURE that it's an IJ and 9 shot? All I've seen were 8 shot cylinders. The 9 shooters were either H and R or High Standard, IIRC?
Absolutely 100% positive. It is a nine (9) shot, break-top, Iver Johnson brand "Supershot," .22LR revolver.

Though pre-WWII and comparatively rare, they're apparently not exceptionally valuable. Not enough of a collector community for IJ's.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Old 12-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
lklawson
HPF_MODERATOR.png

Pics.

"22 SUPERSHOT" was the Iver Johnson name, you can see it on the closeup. I tried to get a closeup of the IJ mark but it didn't turn out. On the top-strap, on either side of the front blade sight: "Iver Johnson Bicycle Corporation" and some other stuff.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Old 12-11-2011, 05:01 AM   #7
duster066
HPF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Liked 1300 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 2009

OMG Kirk can read...and count!

"In order to finish first, first you must finish."
USAF, 1980-1988
http://www.oldwheelgunshop.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/pages/OWGS/470902946300089

Old 12-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
Dallas

I'm not sure what you paid for yours but I'm still interested on what they are worth. As I also have a 9-shot 22 supershot. Mine was given to me by my grandfather, and is in much better condition than the one posted on here, so there is no way I'm going to sell it, but I'd still like to know what the value is.

I took mine out about a week ago and put about 27 rounds though it, No issues at all. And yes, I propertly cleaned it afterwards. Mine does have some minor rust, the barrals are clean and smooth, inside and out.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #9
lklawson
HPF_MODERATOR.png

Not sure what they're worth right now. 5 years ago they were worth about $100. Last year, they were worth about twice that.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Old 12-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #10
taker

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

your library has, or can GET from the interlibrary book loan system, the Gun Digest book of firearms values. Or you can check online auction sites, like GunsAmerica.com, or GunBroker, see what's available, at what price. There's also a collectors site, Tula's Nagant or some thing like that, that has lots of different gun types being collected. Lots of real deal collectors are at CSP Forums, too.

Quick Reply