I bought an old Iver Johnson for the wife to target shoot with. It is DA/SA and has fixed target sights and a 9 round, breaktop, cylinder. It's a model "22 Supershot." Apparently from what I could google, it was manufactured between 1928 and 1941. It is a very limited production revolver with only 22,650 manufactured. It came in 7 and 9 round versions.
I'd love it if it weren't for the fact that the chambers are tight
. When clean and lubed, .22LR cartridges slip in for the most part (sorta) but a few of them need just a wee bit of pressure. They don't all just "drop" in. After running between one and 3 cylinders, 27 rounds at most top, the chambers are heat-expanded and dirty and significant force is required to jam in half of the rounds, they often don't sit as flush as they should, and (once fired) the brass so stuck in the chamber that frequently the ejector will slip off of rim causing literal jams. Yes, in a revolver
And this is the improvement
. Yes, it was worse to start with.
I figured that some old timer had been shooting .22 Shorts out of it and leaded it all to heck so I got the right chem and went as far as to buy a brand new brass .22 brush. That helped but not enough. I ended up chucking the brush in my drill and reaming the chambers with the brush. There is NO
lead fouling in the chambers and they still bind after very little use.
This upsets me because I bought it for my wife to target shoot with. She HATES
it and generally sticks with the .22LR SAA (Ruger) she inherited from her father. She's freaking deadeye with either one, but the IJ should be faster to load and unload (if it were working right) with 3 more rounds in the cylinder. I'm also torqued because it's a nice looking gun. It has some sort of burl rosewood grips. Very attractive. Another thing that honks me off is that I passed up a Kel Tec PMR30 for (get this) $350 (yes, Three Hundred Fifty Dollars) so that I'd be sure to have enough money to buy this revolver. <cry>
I'm was certain that what it really needs is for a smith to increase the I.D. of the chambers by a few hundreths, but I did some more googling and was reminded of what I should have thought of in the first place. (facepalm) The 22 rounds made when this old pistol was in production were often corrosive. So, while the bbl looks OK (not great, mind you, but OK), the chambers themselves turned out to be really rough, almost sandpapery, just past the length of a .22 Short.
So, I got a bur under my saddle last night and wrapped a bit of 3M scrub pad (normally used for dishes) around an old .22 bore brush. I applied some Metal Glo, which I normally use for cleaning and polishing knives & swords, inside each of the chambers, then I chucked up the brush in my cordless drill and polished the inside of every chamber.
Wow, what a difference! The rounds just drop in now! huzzah!
Sadly, I'll probably be next year before I get a chance to test it out, but still, I'm hopeful.
Peace favor your sword,