Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > General Firearms Discussion > Jimenez arms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
madscott
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Jimenez arms

I felt compelled to share my Jimenez experience, mainly because I read through some archived messages in this forum that were not very flattering.
My girlfriend, against my judgment, decided she wanted a JA380 because it was 'cute'. This was to be a purse gun. After getting it home, She ignored my warning and fired the pistol with her hands to high on the grips. this was the first time she fired this weapon and the last time she fired any weapon until last week. the slide bit her hand and cut it pretty good.
Needless to say, I inherited the JA 380. I have put about 600 rounds through it with very few problems until recently. It started breaking extractors. I called Jimenez after the third( all free) and they told me to send the slide to them. I did, and 1 week from the day I mailed the slide I received a new slide, complete with all new components( firing pin/spring/takedown button, etc) and two new magazines for my trouble. All for free! I just reassembled the pistol and fired a box of ammo flawlessly through it. The pistol is back to performing reliably and their customer service was fabulous.
My beef is some, even here on this forum behave like gun snobs toward Jimenez, Phoenix arms and even Hi Point. most of these so called 'ring of fire and 'pot metal' pistol companies have really improved their products. plus most have the best guarantees and customer service in the business. I carry a Taurus PT145 Mill Pro, but if it were on me, I would have all the confidence in the world that my JA380 would defend my life.

Just to lighten my rant, I include my JA89 compared to my Hi Point 40, and my RG-10 (22short)

downsized_1117111637a.jpg  

Last edited by madscott; 11-18-2011 at 02:29 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
Bitsman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 331 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 148

I had a Cobra 380.. very similar to yours.. and never once had an issue with it... after a little work with a small file I was able to get it to shoot POA at 30 feet... I really liked that gun... Left it at Dads house when I moved to Ohio... Dad shot it a few times and said the safety was all screwed up so he chopped it all up with an angle grinder since he figured it couldn't be fixed..

Old 11-18-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
Bosgarage57

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

i too had a cobra 380 as my first pistol. I really liked it, and just recently traded it. I did have a couple FTE, but I'd say that was the tulammo, as the federal I used didnt have any problems. I also own a Phoenix Arms 22, LOVE It. I love the fact I can change out barrels when I feel froggy. Put about 500 rouds through it without a hiccup. I have heard that the frame near the mag is a little thin and cracks over time though.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:02 AM   #4
+p+9mm+p+

i had a cobra derringer, it was junk, i hated it, i sold it at a significant loss.

my jennings pistol however was good till recently, now the frame is cracked and the firing pin is almost shooting out the back at my face lol... that cant be good.

do they still make these pistols and is there any way to get it fixed lol...

Old 11-18-2011, 02:07 AM   #5
Bitsman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 331 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by +p+9mm+p+ View Post
i had a cobra derringer, it was junk, i hated it, i sold it at a significant loss.

my jennings pistol however was good till recently, now the frame is cracked and the firing pin is almost shooting out the back at my face lol... that cant be good.

Jennings.. As an independent company.. is no more.. The latest incarnation is Jimenez.. Pretty much the same exact pistol.. I believe they use the same equipment to make them.. They just changed names

Old 11-18-2011, 02:36 AM   #6
madscott

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosgarage57 View Post
i too had a cobra 380 as my first pistol. I really liked it, and just recently traded it. I did have a couple FTE, but I'd say that was the tulammo, as the federal I used didnt have any problems. I also own a Phoenix Arms 22, LOVE It. I love the fact I can change out barrels when I feel froggy. Put about 500 rouds through it without a hiccup. I have heard that the frame near the mag is a little thin and cracks over time though.
I used Tula and had problems as well. switched to remington and all problems disappeared. I have problems with Tula and my HP 40. switched to federal, again no more problems

Old 11-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
lklawson
HPF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Liked 2471 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 2790

Quote:
Originally Posted by +p+9mm+p+ View Post

You can often find parts that will fit on GunBroker and AuctionArms. Jennings, Bryco (Bryco-Jennings), and Jimenez firearms parts are, for the most part, interchangeable. The www.bryco-jennings-jimenezarms.com forum can detail which parts will not interchange.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning and maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."

Old 11-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
zombiekiller

Liked 81 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I recently got an old j22 a few months ago for cheap because it wouldn't extract. Turned out the prev owner loved to dry fire it and had peened the chamber. A little work with a dremel and it has no prob with fed bulk. Decently accurate out to 10 yards also.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
OblivionNine

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Nice to see a positive post. When a company backs their product with quick service it takes most of the risk out of the purchase. Isn't that what elevated hi-point?

I never see jiminez in the shops around here but there are always a lot at the gun show. Good prices.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:40 AM   #10
zombiekiller

Liked 81 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OblivionNine View Post

I never see jiminez in the shops around here but there are always a lot at the gun show. Good prices.
Last year I could find the 22s at my gunshow for $99 but the last one I was at they had gone up to $130. Should have bought one back then cause I kinda want one not built in the 70s.

Quick Reply