Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > General Firearms Discussion > Ruger 10/22 last round bolt hold open..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 05:02 AM   #1
YamahaWR200
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger 10/22 last round bolt hold open..

Ok guys.. I have seen a kit for a last round bolt hold open system for the 10/22... BUT... I think you have to buy the kit and use special mags from that point on to have the hold open work.. I did the auto bolt release where you grind it out with a dremel and that is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT.. It is WAAAAY better with that.. But now I want the bolt hold open for an empty mag. i want to know if there is anything I can do to modify what I have to make it work, or if the kit is the only way or what...

DON'T MAKE EXCUSES. MAKE IMPROVEMENTS.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 05:33 AM   #2
tha_cyko

Default Re: Ruger 10/22 last round bolt hold open..

pretty sure that is either the kit, or keep a count on rounds fired and reload on the last round so it cycles the new mag.

Is it really that big of a deal to pull back the bolt?

Old 01-11-2011, 05:42 AM   #3
YamahaWR200

ha no.. Is it really that difficult to switch out 10 round magazines more often than 15 or 20 or 25 round magazines? Not really... But just like everything else.. It would be nice..

DON'T MAKE EXCUSES. MAKE IMPROVEMENTS.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
ajole
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4595 Times on 3214 Posts
Likes Given: 4120

You know the answer...get 50 round mags! :angel:

But I wish there was a LRHO too...that whole "don't dry fire a rimfire" thing makes me flinch every time I mis-count...which is every 10-25 rounds. :cantlook:

He who smiles last....

......................thinks slowest.

Q

Not anything to do with me,...but SWAGA referred me to it...and it is pretty funny: The Ballad of Ajole
17 HP's and counting.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
Silicon Wolverine

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

my 10/22 has over 130,000 rounds fired and id hate to guess the number of dry fires. probably in the thousands. ive never replaced the firing pin.

LRHO - i removed mine entirely years ago. i tired of tinkering with it trying to make it work right. the LRHO kits are finicky to say teh least, besides requiring special mags. i never put the factory bolt lock back in cause i never used it anyway.

SW

Old 01-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
Slimshady

Liked 404 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 20

"Don't dry fire a rimfire" only applies to guns that have a firing pin that extends past the breechface when dry fired. This lets the pin hit the edge of the chamber, peening it into the opening and causing failures to feed and extract. A common problem in the "bad old days". Designs like the Ruger 10/22 have a limiter pin that prevents the FP from extending past the breechface, so you can dry fire it without damaging the chamber. Their semi auto .22 pistols have the same feature.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
ajole
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4595 Times on 3214 Posts
Likes Given: 4120

Quote:
"Don't dry fire a rimfire" only applies to guns that have a firing pin that extends past the breechface when dry fired. This lets the pin hit the edge of the chamber, peening it into the opening and causing failures to feed and extract. A common problem in the "bad old days". Designs like the Ruger 10/22 have a limiter pin that prevents the FP from extending past the breechface, so you can dry fire it without damaging the chamber. Their semi auto .22 pistols have the same feature.
True...but I have a few guns from those days, so it still makes me cringe. :cantlook:

He who smiles last....

......................thinks slowest.

Q

Not anything to do with me,...but SWAGA referred me to it...and it is pretty funny: The Ballad of Ajole
17 HP's and counting.

Quick Reply