Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > General Firearms Discussion > So who's likin' the Marlin 70P Papoose "survival rifle"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
TopGas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default So who's likin' the Marlin 70P Papoose "survival rifle"?

Happened upon an older (wood stock, non-stainless barreled action) Marlin 70P Papoose at a LGS Friday on my way home from work. I've read about and have seen pictures of them before (the newer black plastic stock, SS models) but never up close and personal. Kinda liked the look and feel of it but had a few questions that the folks there couldn't answer. They said the guy that could help me would be in the next day and since it was already past their closing time, I decided to wait until Saturday. I went home and did a little internet research. It seems that there are only a few "competitors" with the main one being the Henry AR7 and it appears that is the only one still being manufactured. (I could be wrong on that). A friend in my "usual" LGS couldn't find a new Papoose at any of his regular distributors but he could get me a new Henry AR7 for ~$230 OTD. Since the asking price for the older Papoose was ~$100 less, I decided to haul ass back to the "other" LGS and hope that the Papoose ws still there. Fortunately, it still was sitting in the gun rack. Both the owner and the guy that knew about the gun (he was the previous owner) were there to help me decide. While I was completely prepared to pay their asking price, I'm always compelled to see just how willing folks are to negotiate! To be sure, the gun is NOT new and has a few dings in the stock and the metalwork has some scratches. He came down $10 which wasn't much but he did say it had only been on the rack for a day or so and I didn't expect him to budge a penny more. I did convince him to throw in a cheap 4x15 scope that was priced at $10. The set also included the red Marlin Papoose cordura carry bag and of course a 7 rnd magazine. In the end, I paid just over $125 OTD. I'm pretty happy. When I first decided to get one of these "survival rifles" I was pretty sure it was going to be an AR7. By chance, I was able to handle one at a gun show today and found it to feel "cheezy" and not very sturdy. That pretty much convinced me that I wanted the Papoose. I will concede that the AR7 is quite a bit lighter and certainly more compact. Those features alone probably have considerable appeal. I'm quessing that most folks have the AR7 but I'm here to say "I'm likin' my Papoose!" Does anyone else feel the same? TG

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
majicmike

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Pics or you didnt get it

Old 04-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
TopGas

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicmike View Post
Pics or you didnt get it
As soon as I hit the SUBMIT REPLY button I said to myself, "self...someone is goin' to say something about pics!" Give a guy a break will ya. I just got home and haven't had time to set up a photo-shoot yet. I will it done tonight or tomorrow morn at the latest. You all know how it is, you're hoping you got a good deal and you just want to post something and get some kind of a reply. I will get the studio set up and get photos after dinner and upload them to PhotoBucket. If I have time, I'll post them tonight. TG

Old 04-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #4
wc deer hunter
Premium Supporter

Liked 150 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 570

Cool nice find. I have been thinking about the ar7 since it seems to be the only one still being made but i am havinga difficult time convincing myself i need one bad enough to pay that much for one. I have been thinking about buying a used beat up .22 and make my own mods to try and accomplish the same thing.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:01 AM   #5
TopGas

OK, for all of the Doubting Thomas' here are the pics of my "new to me" Marlin 70P Papoose.
The case needs to be spruced-up a bit but, in general, it's in pretty good condition.

The rifle itself is in better condition than I thought. It won't take much "fluff & buff" to get it looking really great.

The 4x15 scope is clearly low-end and may not even be mounted. I'm pretty sure the stock/action assembly won't fit in the case properly with the scope mounted.

I'll probably want to pick up an extra mag or two. If anyone has any info in that regard, I'd be appreciative. Any other tips and/or hints would be welcome too. Thanks TG

Old 04-22-2012, 03:31 AM   #6
Slimshady

Liked 404 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Excellent choice, other than the shortened stock and screw off bbl it is essentially a plain old marlin model 70/795. Stock mags are 7 and 10 rd, IIRC WallyMart carries them. Much more durable than an AR7. Check out the rimfirecentral board for all the mods available.

BTW, Ruger just came out with a takedown 10/22, and of course Browning has their ATD takedown rifle for the rich folks.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:36 AM   #7
railbuggy

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I picked up a Marlin 795 that looks new for $90 at a pawn shop about three weeks ago.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:44 AM   #8
TopGas

I guess what I'd most like to know is what brand and type of .22 rimfire ammo works best in this type of rifle. Again, any suggestions will be welcome. TG

Old 04-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
Slimshady

Liked 404 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 20

.22s are like all guns, individuals. You can have two identical guns, consecutive serial numbers even, and one will reliably shoot one load into a dime at 50 yard while the other one would be lucky to hit the paper at all and jam every other round on ammo from the same box. Standard procedure is to buy a box of everything available in your area and shoot the thing. Once you figure out what works best and fits in your budget, stock up on that particular load.

About the only one to stay away from is Remingtin golden bullets, many people report poor performance from them right now. And truncated cones like their Yellowjackets tend to have feed problems in autos.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:06 AM   #10
SteveC
HPF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 204 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimshady View Post
Excellent choice, other than the shortened stock and screw off bbl it is essentially a plain old marlin model 70/795. Stock mags are 7 and 10 rd, IIRC WallyMart carries them. Much more durable than an AR7. Check out the rimfirecentral board for all the mods available.

BTW, Ruger just came out with a takedown 10/22, and of course Browning has their ATD takedown rifle for the rich folks.
Had a chance to check out the takedown 10/22 at my lgs and it looked pretty good. Nice case too.

NRA Range Safety Officer
USPSA Range Officer

"Lead me not into temptation; I can find the way myself." .

Quick Reply