Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > General Firearms Discussion > Stevens 59A .410 Bolt Action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
SouthSeraPirate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 205

Default Stevens 59A .410 Bolt Action

Just got a bolt action .410 - Model Stevens 59A. Looking for someone with experience with this model as I have a couple of questions/issues;

The bolt is really sticky, like its hanging on part 34. It sits too high, which also makes it difficult to remove and insert the bolt.

Also, I did a run on cycling rounds; first round cycles and ejects. Second feeds but doesn't eject. Dropped the same round on the ramp and tried again, and failed. I could see the rim was sort of damaged from the attempts. Something wrong with the ejector?

When I go to close the bolt, it does not line up with the slot. I have to push the bolt further forward, which had a spring like resistance. If I push forward which is about a 1/4", and let go, it will push back. It will seat without resistance if I throw it quickly. Is this normal operation?

Sorry if I explained things as if I had Palsey. Not good at explaining these things in words. Just ask if I need to clarify something.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
Walkingwolf

Liked 478 Times on 327 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I assume you have taken it apart, and cleaned all parts, and inspected for missing or worn parts?

Old 07-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #3
SouthSeraPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
I assume you have taken it apart, and cleaned all parts, and inspected for missing or worn parts?
Cleaned, but not in any magnificent way, nor did I take the spring assembly apart.

Still need to take the bolt apart, but I cant find anything that shows my how.

Also, the part number 34 wouldnt have anything to do with it being clean, and nothing seems broken (as it still works).

Old 07-01-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
Walkingwolf

Liked 478 Times on 327 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Take it to a gunsmith may be the best bet. They may be able to see what you can't. I owned on those many moons ago, I never had any problems, so I haven't got a clue what could be causing your problems unless it is a bent bolt.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:43 AM   #5
SouthSeraPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
Take it to a gunsmith may be the best bet. They may be able to see what you can't. I owned on those many moons ago, I never had any problems, so I haven't got a clue what could be causing your problems unless it is a bent bolt.
I wish I could, but cant afford a gunsmith. Hell, may be nothing wrong for all I know. Anyone else care to chime in?

Looks like the last round is the one that doesnt eject. Almost like the ejectors do nothing but pull the casing out of the barrel but drops it.

Last edited by SouthSeraPirate; 07-06-2013 at 01:50 AM.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
ajole
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4598 Times on 3217 Posts
Likes Given: 4121

Just to be clear...the shells are extracting, but not ejecting?

What serves as the ejector, is it some piece of metal fastened to the action? If so, is it loose?

Or does it use a plunger ejector on the face of the bolt? And if so, is it clean and is the spring strong?

Ok, here's a schematic, looks like part 41 could be the problem.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/SavageStevensSpringfieldFox-33479/Shotguns-40503/59A-41365.htm?page=3

He who smiles last....

......................thinks slowest.

Q

Not anything to do with me,...but SWAGA referred me to it...and it is pretty funny: The Ballad of Ajole
17 HP's and counting.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
duster066
HPF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Liked 1301 Times on 925 Posts
Likes Given: 2009

[QUOTE=SouthSeraPirate;2048771
When I go to close the bolt, it does not line up with the slot. I have to push the bolt further forward, which had a spring like resistance. If I push forward which is about a 1/4", and let go, it will push back. It will seat without resistance if I throw it quickly. Is this normal operation?

Sorry if I explained things as if I had Palsey. Not good at explaining these things in words. Just ask if I need to clarify something.

Any help greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I know nothing about the gun, but that sounds like it might be cocking on closure of the bolt, which if it is the resistance would be normal. I did a quick search and found nothing useful to point to.

"In order to finish first, first you must finish."
USAF, 1980-1988
http://www.oldwheelgunshop.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/pages/OWGS/470902946300089

Old 07-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
cozwurth

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSeraPirate View Post
Just got a bolt action .410 - Model Stevens 59A. Looking for someone with experience with this model as I have a couple of questions/issues;

The bolt is really sticky, like its hanging on part 34. It sits too high, which also makes it difficult to remove and insert the bolt.

Also, I did a run on cycling rounds; first round cycles and ejects. Second feeds but doesn't eject. Dropped the same round on the ramp and tried again, and failed. I could see the rim was sort of damaged from the attempts. Something wrong with the ejector?

Any help greatly appreciated.
I don't have a lot of experience with that shotty, but I have tinkered with one before. It had some feed and extraction issues as well. The feed issues were caused by some slight damage to the mag tube. I'm not sure about the ejection issues. Once I took it apart and cleaned it good, it seemed to operate much better.

As far as the bolt closing is concerned, it sounds like it may be a normal part of the gun action. The only bolt gun I have here right now is a .22LR, but if I close the bolt slowly it hits springy resistance about 1/8" - 3/16" before the handle will drop into the slot.

I did find a thread on another forum that talks about an ejector problem with a 59A:
http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/47158-bolt-action-410-will-not-eject.html

HP .380 ACP
HP 995 TS
SCCY CPX-2
Remington 870 20ga
Iver Johnson 20ga single shot (circa 1909-1919)

Quick Reply