Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > General Firearms Discussion > Walmart prices vs gun shop prices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
mikesp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Walmart prices vs gun shop prices

I recently went to Walmart looking for prices on shotguns and rifles. The Walmart in Severn MD sells long guns. They had the following:
Maverick 88 28" $177 (black if I recall)
Mossberg 500 28" $217 20ga or 12ga (wood furniture)
Ruger 10/22 carbine with wood stock $197 (18" barrel I believe)
Ruger 10/22 stainless barrel 22" Walmart model $237

I went to a gun store that usually has great prices and a gun show looking at the river 10/22 carbine and the rifles are identical but everywhere else they are $280. I have even seen used ones over $220. I don't get why people would pay more and I don't get how Walmart can sell them so darn cheap!

The shotguns are the other thing I can't find used ones that compete with Walmart. I want a security 18" and 28" barrels. dick's sporting goods sells the field/security combo for like $330 (Mossberg 500) with the Walmart $217 and ordering an 18" barrel the combo price is still only @$310. I guess I'll end up buying from Walmart.

I do feel like supporting local gun stores also... Would it be an insult to ask them to try and come closer to the Walmart prices? Do they not care or do you think it's just not possible to get close in price?
It's one thing if it were like $20 different, but in the case of the ruger 10/22 the extra $80 is a lot. I could almost buy 3 at Walmart for the cost of 2 at a gun shop.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
rammurph

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Re: Walmart prices vs gun shop prices

It is because walmart can buy in bulk and the local gun store doesn't. The more you buy the less it cost per unit so you can sell cheaper.

Give me liberty or give me death

Old 04-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
Silicon Wolverine

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

also WM buys "runs" of guns sepcifically set up for them in a cheaper fashion. ive looked at WM guns and never bought one there becuase they were substandard compared to the guns at a shop. poorer grades of wood stocks, lacking features like adjustable sights or removable chokes etc. stuff like that can cheapen up a firearm for a big box store, and they make bank on volume of sales.

SW

Old 04-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
mikesp

Quote:
also WM buys "runs" of guns sepcifically set up for them in a cheaper fashion. ive looked at WM guns and never bought one there becuase they were substandard compared to the guns at a shop. poorer grades of wood stocks, lacking features like adjustable sights or removable chokes etc. stuff like that can cheapen up a firearm for a big box store, and they make bank on volume of sales
I did hear that somewhere but I thought there was some debate on how true it was. The stainless 10/22 certainly is a Walmart model that you can't buy elsewhere. The barrel is 2" longer than the standard.
To me the 10/22 carbine looks exactly the same. I suppose the only way to know would be to see if there was a different model number or markings on the box. I suppose you are right about making a special run. You would think ruger would have a hard time sourcing and making a special production run just for one customer. Maybe they order enough to make it worth it to ruger to change their production.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
OblivionNine

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

I bought a henry lever .22 from them because it was an actual real henry model vs a walmartized one. it was prob $30 cheaper than anywhere else I looked.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
Bucky.280

If the Walmart gun has the same features and it is the same model for less, buy it. If your LGS has he same gun with three chokes and Wal Mart has it with only one check the price of chokes and see if that makes up the price difference. Based on the models that you mentioned, I would follow price because they generally come as they come. Wal Mart does get some runs that are desirable as well, like some of the Weatherby rifles they used to carry with WalMart "included only" stocks like desert tan and the Beretta 12 Ga.which is hard to beat at any store. It is a free market after all. JMHO

If it's not a Doberman, it's just a dog.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:14 AM   #7
writerinmo

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

You do know that a lot of Walmarts have this HUGE catalog that you can soecial order guns from right???? No prices, but you could print out the barcode and take it in and scan it I suppose...

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/if/hmp/fusion/SpecialOrderGunCatalog.pdf

http://elby.yolasite.com/ mosin sight tools

“There are currently 37/38 states that are currently “shall issue” states. They also said they saw reductions in their violent crime rates, significant declines, because nobody wants to go duck hunting when five percent of the ducks can shoot back.”

Old 04-18-2011, 01:37 AM   #8
hipointyeah

when the walmart near me sold long guns, i bought a few, and each one was very good, the single shot pardner i bought was same as local gunshop, but $10 less

Old 04-18-2011, 01:50 AM   #9
Mstr33t

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Mstr33t

Quote:
also WM buys "runs" of guns sepcifically set up for them in a cheaper fashion. ive looked at WM guns and never bought one there becuase they were substandard compared to the guns at a shop. poorer grades of wood stocks, lacking features like adjustable sights or removable chokes etc. stuff like that can cheapen up a firearm for a big box store, and they make bank on volume of sales.

SW

I've said that before and got called BS on. Pretty sure it's true though.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:52 AM   #10
911JB
Premium Supporter

Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
when the walmart near me sold long guns, i bought a few, and each one was very good, the single shot pardner i bought was same as local gunshop, but $10 less

For the 10 extra bucks I'll support the local shop!

Quick Reply