Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > Caliber Zone > Best 9mm Round for Coyotes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
kilroy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best 9mm Round for Coyotes?

My Uncle is a retired KY State Trooper, and was so impressed with the 995TS that I had he gave me his off duty gun, an 1976 Colt Detective Special .38 revolver to sell or trade so he could have one.

I of course kept the Colt, and I'm going to set up a 995TS for him to get coyotes with. What ammo would be best for this? I'd like to keep the price down, so I'm hoping Rem. UMC 115hp would do the trick. Would it have to be hollow points? My 995 shoots best with NATO ammo, but of course it's fmj..

Any advice would be great, and I apologize if this thread has already come up..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
herplover

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Have to check your state laws on types of bullet.Here in PA FMJ isnt allowed for hunting.Im not sure what would be best for coyotes since here in PA we also cant use semi auto rifles or handguns for hutning either.If you want to just kill them then anything that would take a small deer would be good but if you want to preserve the hide be very careful due to the exit wound.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
willieh

Liked 66 Times on 46 Posts

I only use my 995ts for coyotes, and i use federal standard 115 gr hollowpoints, fmj is ok with an animal that small tho, but it could take them a lot longer to die..

Different rounds will probably be required legally also depending on the classification of the animal. coyote is small game category here and any pistol carbine and round is fine. Medium game require .243 or higher here, and anything in the small game class start at a bb gun or slingshot here lmao.

Last edited by willieh; 09-18-2011 at 10:48 PM.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
perotter

Liked 452 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 618

When my youngest bro shoots them with a 9mm he use the LEE TL356-124-2R & PB powder. Don't get much cheaper than that.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:02 AM   #5
+p+9mm+p+

remington sells the 100 round value packs of 115 grain Jacketed hollow points. in my experiences they expand out of carbines (wet newspaper, far from official i know) but not out of handguns.

so i'd say once your rounds lost velocity (50 yards give or take) they woul pretty much act like FMJ.

they also penetrated (again in my experience) in bundles of wet newspaper AND dry newspaper more than the 147 grain winchester JHP rounds sold in the 50 box.

again thats all out of a carbine.

edit: and anything made by cor-bon would probably be about as good a round as you can get for 9mm for defense and or hunting but they are costly.

also, i've never had a Remington Golden Sabre that didnt expand... in +p124 graind or 147 grain. those are my prefered rounds for self defense and what i would use on coyote or small deer if i were to hunt with a 9mm carbine (but i dont hunt with it, it is illegal in ohio).

Last edited by +p+9mm+p+; 09-19-2011 at 01:04 AM.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
kilroy

Thanks all. He probably won't being doing it often so I'll probably give him a box of Federal BPLE 115+p+. His wife works a Walmart so he'll had access to what they have. They seem to have worked on "predators"!

Old 09-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
kilroy

BTW Golden Sabre 147 is my carry ammo. I just bought some BPLE and Ranger 127+P+ just to see how they shoot. I've only shot a few rounds but the Ranger seemed to have the most different POI.

I'm still debating the light fast/heavy deep decisions on ammo. I think I'm going to favor heavy for caliber because same or better performance without additional wear and blast.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
YamahaWR200

no reloading I assume? Because you can get XTP's, golden sabers as you mentioned, gold dots, etc... You have a GREAT selection of bullets to choose from.

DON'T MAKE EXCUSES. MAKE IMPROVEMENTS.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
kilroy

Sounds like I should look into reloading. I shoot mostly Russian surplus and 9mm, which are cheap enough, but I like the idea of being my own quality control.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:21 AM   #10
willieh

Liked 66 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
Sounds like I should look into reloading. I shoot mostly Russian surplus and 9mm, which are cheap enough, but I like the idea of being my own quality control.
just stay away from the Russian steel cased, American eagle are the cheapest around here, its just federal with a different name on the box.

Quick Reply