Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > Caliber Zone > Tula ammo review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
zombiekiller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 81 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Tula ammo review

I usually reload for 9mm but I kept hearing Q's here and at work about the Tula ammo offered at Walmart so I bought a box (lot #7367-10) for study and here is what I found out.

Opened up the box to measure the OAL of all the rounds and found this gem in the middle (keep in mind the box was pristine when purchased).

I put the dented round aside and pulled 5 random rounds for dissection. The two brass cases are for another project so avert your eyes.

From these five I found the following
Bullet weight had a 2 grain variance(113.2-115.2)
Bullet width had 0 variance (0.355)
Powder weight had a 0 grain variance (6.0)
OAL out of all 50 rounds had a 0.014 variance (1.154-1.168)

The 6.0 grains of powder looks to be a short stick type and fills the case nicely.

Now how did it shoot.

I loaded up my gear and gave Tula a shot (pun intended). All shots are at 25 yrds on those wimpy rests with iron sights.
Here is my 995ts group (I know the aim was crazy low but it was getting dark and I didn't have time to re-sight it in)

Here is my C9 target at the same 25 yrds using a rest.

I had no jams at all with the carbine but the C9 experienced a FTF with the first 3 rounds (in the 8rd mag) every time. It has no problems with brass from my cheap reloads, Federal, and WWB. I had both nose up and nose downs but I'm pretty sure some work on the mag lips would have corrected it. I had no time to work on the mags and it works fine with my reloads so I left it alone.

Over all I was happy with the ammo and a nice lady from Tula answered my email within hours about the dented round and is sending me a second box in return for what is left in my box. It's good to see them standing behind their product. Would I buy it again? Well, no because I cast and reload for next to nothing but would I if I didn't reload? I probably would as long as I could adjust the C9's mags to feed correctly. Also I've always heard that it's dirty ammo and it is a little bit but I didn't find it that bad plus the powder smells a little like Pyrodex and I find that cool.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
dahed

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Re: Tula ammo review

Thanks for posting. I have a couple boxes of 9mm and .223 (would have gotten .308, but WalMart did not stock it). I will check them out before loading.

Nec asperra terrant

Old 11-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
SamStafford

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

zombiekiller, great post there. I have about 6 boxes(9mm) of these ammo. Never shot any yet. I stare at my ammo more than shooting them. Heh!

What? Me worry?
Hi-Point C-9
Hi-Point Classic 995
Hi-Point 995TS

Old 11-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
RDFabsRep

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been shooting large amounts of Tula/Ulyanovsk .223 through my AR's since the beginning of the summer. It's dirty and smells bad and I don't mind either. Accuracy is surpisingly good and I only had one major issue on my last outting. The extractor ripped the lip off the case, leaving it stuck in the chamber. Popped it out with a cleaning rod and kept on shooting. Do I think this stuff is as trustworthy as brass? No--especially if they're prone to extraction issues (read about this prior to my own FTE.) But for plinking and training, it's awesome CHEAP ammo.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
zombiekiller

I forgot to add that the Tula in the 995 had an average FPS of 1292 with a 10 round variance of 38. The Tula in the C9 had an average FPS of 1087 with a 10 round variance of 85.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:31 AM   #6
green82000

I also saw the Tulammo ammo at Wal Mart and I liked the prices but I didn't know anything about it so I did a little resreach before buying. I was surprised to find out that Tula makes Wolf and Tulammo ammo. It is just Wolf ammo in a different box. If one compares Wolf and Tulammo it will have the same markings except the Wolf is branded. I don't know why they are marketing both and Tulammo seems to be cheaper. If I'm wrong please tell me but as far as I'm concerned right now its the same thing.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:00 AM   #7
Viper

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good post. Thanks for the info.

"Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You?"

Mosin Nagants are like Happy Meal toys. You can call yourself a collector and leave them on the shelf in the plastic, but they are not much fun to play with.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:31 AM   #8
RandyP

The same plant in Russia makes Tula/Wolf/Herters.

Several firearms in .22LR, .380ACP, 9mm, 7.62x25 and .45ACP. Lee reloading gear.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
zombiekiller

Along with what RandyP said I think they also might make the bear branded ammo (brown, silver, gold). They must tool up for a huge batch of each brand because the cases from each are marked by the brand name they are sold under. The difference in price is probably a combination of what the ammo market is at the time when the latest batch made is being made and possibly some updates to the manufacturing process and component costs changes between batches. Next year we may be seeing even cheaper wolf, brown bear, or whatever else they decide to tool up for.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
res45

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Bear ammo in Lacquer,Zinc and Brass plated steel case is made at the Barnaul Cartridge Plant,Barnaul has it's own line Bear ammo similar to the Wolf version mfg. by the Tula plant but I've found the Bear to be much better quality. Barnaul also makes a line of ammo called Monarch which come in steel case as well as some brass case handgun ammo versions that are made by other mfg,similar to the Wolf gold line brass case ammo which is made by Prvi Partizan.

I've shot a lot of the steel case 9mm ammo through my Ruger 9mm revolver with excellent results but haven't tried it in the c9 as of yet.

http://eng.barnaulpatron.ru/production/sportshuntingcartridges.html

"It's only a wuss caliber until you get shot with it."

Quick Reply