You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Hipointfirearmsforums.com    

Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > Survival Zone >

Ammo stash and other thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2017, 05:18 AM   #1
planosteve
HPF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 5399 Times on 2932 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Default Ammo stash and other thoughts

As you all know I have a thing about minimum amounts of ammo for each firearm I own. My main reason for this is to make sure I have enough ammo to allow me to shoot what I want when I want. The secondary benefit of this is also gives me an adequate ammo for an extended zombie apocalypse.

My general rule of thumb is 10000 rounds for each 22 LR, 1000 rounds for each gun of pistol caliber and 5000 rounds for my "main defense rifle". For my shotguns I want 1000 rds per. For the HD one that is a mix of buck and slugs, 1000 rounds. I need more hunting ammo for the model 12 but I will wait for the next sale on that and get a few cases. I currently have about 250 rounds of very old 7 1/2 and 6 shot. It still works. For my non 22 bolt guns I want to have at least 1000 rounds per gun. As I just picked up the new 17 I am a little short of that.

The AR is in it own class. I feel 5000 rounds is a good number. I do need to get another AR as I don't want to rely on just one. That would mean getting more ammo.

Another that has its own category is my 06. If I ever need more than 500 rounds for this puppy I am truly in a world of ****.

I love my guns but I also realize that water, food, and shelter are the most important parts of being prepared. I have 6 months at the house and another 6 at the farm so I am ok, not great but ok on that.

What are your thoughts on this plan?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2017, 07:28 AM   #2
SavageGuy
HPF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 615 Times on 354 Posts

That's a lot of ammo. It'd take me awhile to stash away that much. I don't have a good supply of .223 because I just got into the AR game. So I need to get some more of that. I'm good on 9mm, .357, .30/06 and 12 gauge.

In the event of SHTF, ammo will be very valuable.........

Old 04-21-2017, 08:33 AM   #3
Think1st
HPF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6001 Times on 3306 Posts
Likes Given: 2916

You have you food, water and ammo bases covered quite well. As far as minimum quantities go, stack it all as deep as resources and storage space allow.

I don't have a whole lot of space, being in a built-up area, so I base my ammo counts on a per-caliber basis, rather than a per-gun basis. That keeps me down one or couple of thousand rounds per caliber in pure "don't touch" status, with about 1000 for training above that.

Six months in food and water is plenty, but you didn't mention what you have for food production. Do you have legacy seeds or livestock to perpetuate your ability to eat? If you get into agriculture, do you have a network of trusted individuals who can help defend everything? Defending acres-worth of resources is a job for a lot more than one immediate family.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #4
undeRGRound
JACK the Mole... ;)
HPF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Liked 12597 Times on 8430 Posts
Likes Given: 59129

Hardigg Cases. Used military surplus, or new.
Pelican is expensive, but very good. PLANO makes
some relatively inexpensive versions. Good Stuff

Quote:
Sticks & Stones may break my bones but
hollow points expand on impact...Ammo stash and other thoughts - Survival Zone

Old 04-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #5
greg_r

Liked 2784 Times on 1532 Posts
Likes Given: 512

I have no idea how much ammo I have. I know i have two 30 cal surplus cans and one Plano can of 22 LR. A Fat 50 and a Christmas popcorn can of 9mm. A Fat 50 of 223 FMJ. A Plano can each of 300 BLK, 7.62x39, 45acp and 38 special. 3 Plano shotshell cans of 12 gauge. One #6 shot, One #4 shot, and the 3rd mixed buckshot and slugs. This is mostly the result of being away from my main home 4 nights a week. I have lots of time to load.

My hunting ammo is much more limited. 223, 308, 300 BLK, 280 Remington, 30/30 45 AR and 45 Colt I have between 100 and 500 cases depending on caliber. Between 50 and 200 rounds loaded, again depending on caliber. Probably about 200 20 gauge shells, about 1/4 of them loaded and 100 brass 410, along with 20 or so plastic 410.

Food we keep basically a years supply. Can or cure what we grow, catch, or kill. Save seed for next years crop.

Definition of clip
: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm
: a piece of jewelry held in position by a clip
undeRGRound Likes This 
Old 04-21-2017, 01:27 PM   #6
planosteve
HPF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5399 Times on 2932 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think1st View Post
You have you food, water and ammo bases covered quite well. As far as minimum quantities go, stack it all as deep as resources and storage space allow.

I don't have a whole lot of space, being in a built-up area, so I base my ammo counts on a per-caliber basis, rather than a per-gun basis. That keeps me down one or couple of thousand rounds per caliber in pure "don't touch" status, with about 1000 for training above that.

Six months in food and water is plenty, but you didn't mention what you have for food production. Do you have legacy seeds or livestock to perpetuate your ability to eat? If you get into agriculture, do you have a network of trusted individuals who can help defend everything? Defending acres-worth of resources is a job for a lot more than one immediate family.
Have the farm as fall back if things get bad at home. There are 2 garden plots and a greenhouse. Most of the land is pasture or hay. We have seeds stored and rotate them. Have a well and a spring.
People Like This 
Old 04-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #7
rmuniz9336

Liked 416 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Here's one for you, and some of this is hard to come by.

Medications. In most cases, your Doc will give you a 30 day "Emergency" supply (depends on your insurance provider and etc - you might end up buying out of pocket). While that isn't much in an end of the world scenario, it will be more than helpful for things like Katrina and Hurricane Sandy.

Also, in a stuff really hits the fan scenario, things like Penicillin will be more valuable than Gold. If you can ever lay some of that up, it will be useful.
eldarbeast Likes This 
Old 04-21-2017, 11:57 PM   #8
Outlaw
HPF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1559 Times on 802 Posts
Likes Given: 1381

As for ammo; it depends on whether your running with it or holding up with it. I would never be on the run with heavy ammo. Maybe one select cal with one rifle. Other than that, .22lr or magnum is the only way to go. You can carry 10 times as much for the same weight. And yes, it is very deadly.

USAF Retired

Old 04-22-2017, 01:26 AM   #9
undeRGRound
JACK the Mole... ;)
HPF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Liked 12597 Times on 8430 Posts
Likes Given: 59129

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeRGRound View Post
Hardigg Cases. Used military surplus, or new.
Pelican is expensive, but very good. PLANO makes
some relatively inexpensive versions. Good Stuff
Plus, lots of desiccant

Quote:
Sticks & Stones may break my bones but
hollow points expand on impact...Ammo stash and other thoughts - Survival Zone
Think1st Likes This 
Old 04-22-2017, 03:47 AM   #10
Think1st
HPF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6001 Times on 3306 Posts
Likes Given: 2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by planosteve View Post
Have the farm as fall back if things get bad at home. There are 2 garden plots and a greenhouse. Most of the land is pasture or hay. We have seeds stored and rotate them. Have a well and a spring.
I'd say that you have most of what you need for the long term. Just make sure to build that trusted cadre of people to help secure it all and work the land, and you'll be just about set.

Quick Reply