Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > Gunsmith shop > AK pistol, SB-47 'pistol brace'

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 04:39 AM   #1
crabblike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts

Default AK pistol, SB-47 'pistol brace'

You may have seen the Sig SB15 AR pistol brace that goes on the buffer tube. Since an AK pistol has no tube, there is a plate that slides under the grip to hold it on, and contains it's own tube.
There are some weaknesses with this design. First, the SB-47 does not come with a longer grip screw to make up for the mounting plate thickness, which backs it out 3-4 threads, leaving less to hold into the receiver. Second, even with a longer screw (100mm), this is the only attachment point, which allows the brace to flex, and may be an issue if struck or dropped on the end. I added an internal bolt that tightens the tube to the rear trunnion, which eliminates the flex. This makes it completely rigid without covering the end of the tube, which is an issue with the ATF for some reason.
Anyone interested further can look up the whole process on my YouTube channel under 'crabblike, SB47'. (There's 4 parts to the series)
I hope this helps somebody.imageuploadedbyhi-point-forum1392615474.975310.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 04:55 AM   #2
talon
on the banned wagon
HPF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Liked 1151 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 111

the entire purpose of a single point of attachment for the brace, is so that it isnt able to be considered an ''add on stock''. the single, non-permanent attachment is how it complies and doesnt need a SBR classification and tax stamp.

its a nice way to add a stock, just a shame its so butt-ugly *pun intended.

if you 'added a bolt', i do believe you have just made it a stock and not a brace, and are now illegal however. (sorta like adding a wooden vertical foregrip lower to my draco, which i might have done at one point, but have now removed). its a stupid law, with no real justifiable reason, but, i do believe you have just rendered the brace non compliant.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
panoz77
HPF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 241 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I considered one for about a minute for my Yugo PAP, then I came to my senses and just use a single point sling. By the way, how about a link instead of hide and seek?

Smoke em' if you got em'

Old 02-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
panoz77
HPF_SUPPORTER.png

I just watched your videos, not trying to rain on your parade BUT, and I think both versions of your modification make your "brace" a stock. As you stated in your video, the stock comes with a letter from the ATF saying it is a brace, they made this determination after a very thorough review of the design. Once you make modifications to that design, the letter is null and void on your "brace". The non-permanent modification was probably less of a risk (although still a modification of the original design), but once you drilled that hole in the tube, your SOL.

Smoke em' if you got em'

Old 02-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
talon
on the banned wagon
HPF_SUPPORTER.png

the open tube is the least of your worries. the bolt being added at all, into the reciever is the illegal part.

once the part no longer matches the approved description, the compliancy letter is useless.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
SWAGA
HPF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2395 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 677

I really wonder how stupid somebody can be ( you reading this ATF?)
That thing is completely useless as an arm brace because it puts your hand at an akward angle to the pistol grip. Not only that, if you use the straps that come with it you have just rendered your arm useless

"If you ask me, this country could use a little less motivation. The people who are motivated are the ones causing all the trouble. Stock swindlers, serial killers, child molesters, Christian conservatives... these people are highly motivated." -George Carlin

Old 02-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
panoz77
HPF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAGA View Post
I really wonder how stupid somebody can be ( you reading this ATF?)
That thing is completely useless as an arm brace because it puts your hand at an akward angle to the pistol grip. Not only that, if you use the straps that come with it you have just rendered your arm useless
Well, in reality that thing although marketed as a "brace" is really marketed for people who actually intend to use it as a stock without having to fill out the SBR paperwork, we all know the real reason for what the intended use of this is for. That being said, if you start making "mods" to it, you are no longer protected by the law.

And for what it is worth, I would delete those videos ASAP.

Smoke em' if you got em'

Old 02-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #8
panoz77
HPF_SUPPORTER.png

Also the eye bolt for your sling attachment, I really don't get bubbaing a sling point when you can buy a real nice single point sling attachment adapter for about $25 that looks good.

This is the one that fits the Yugo PAP for $24, I got a blemish one that was $23 shipped.
http://www.echo93.com/#!purchase/productsstackergallery3=4

Smoke em' if you got em'

Old 02-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
talon
on the banned wagon
HPF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz77 View Post
Also the eye bolt for your sling attachment, I really don't get bubbaing a sling point when you can buy a real nice single point sling attachment adapter for about $25 that looks good.

This is the one that fits the Yugo PAP for $24, I got a blemish one that was $23 shipped.
http://www.echo93.com/#!purchase/productsstackergallery3=4
this is the one i use on my Draco's, it was $19, i was looking at the V4 from Echo93 as well. locking it over the pistol grip nut on the reciever really adds some strength. my first draco came with an open design like you posted installed, but i was concerned it could pull out so i swapped them both over to this:
t2ec16fhjhye9nzpccu-bq8ilmg-zw-60_35.jpg  

Old 02-18-2014, 11:42 AM   #10
crabblike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon View Post
this is the one i use on my Draco's, it was $19, i was looking at the V4 from Echo93 as well. locking it over the pistol grip nut on the reciever really adds some strength. my first draco came with an open design like you posted installed, but i was concerned it could pull out so i swapped them both over to this:

Thanks, this is the first one I've seen that I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

Quick Reply