Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > Gunsmith shop > DIY 1911 to Hi-Point .45 mag conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
CoyoteUGLY
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default DIY 1911 to Hi-Point .45 mag conversion

Converting a standard 1911 mag to fit Hi-Point's JHP is really quite easy. A picture is worth 1,000 words, so watch the video, then go DO it.

But if you are on dial-up, or if ya just like to read, then I'll briefly describe it below...

There's not much difference between the JHP mag and a std. 1911's. The JHP mag well is slightly wider, so your 1911 mag might rattle a bit, but never enough to bother me, even when hunting. The main difference is that the 1911 mag catch goes into the mag, so nought but a slot is needed; but the JHP has a bit of a rise in the metal just above that slot, so the mag catch doesn't need to enter the mag.

Soooo, what we're going to do is basically create that rise, a small tang:

1) relieve the metal a bit on either side of what will become the rise. I use a narrow cutting wheel on my Dremmel. It doesn't need to cut all the way through the metal, but just enough to weaken the metal so you can bend it...

2) bend the metal to create a tang (our rise) above the slot where the 1911's mag catch would fall. I like to use needle-nose pliers, but any pry tool will do. Be careful NOT to accidentally press in below the slot while you pry-up above it (we wouldn't want to slow those .45 shells on their upward travel through the tube!).

3) there is no three, you're DONE already.

If you find the mag drops out when loaded, or when fired, then you may need to bend the tang a little higher, so it more fully engages the JHP's mag catch.

DON'T go measuring the particulars of the mag geometry & comparing HP to 1911, it will only frustrate you. The fact is there are some true differences, BUT they all seem to work in our favor. For instance, with the HP mag you shouldn't slam a fresh mag home while at slide-lock, cuz ya might bend your firing pin... BUT the 1911 convert doesn't raise the mag as high into the slide, so there's plenty of room between your shells and the pin. Besides, the butt of the 1911 mag seats BELOW the bottom of the HP grip, so smacking the mag with the heel of your hand is only gonna drive it so deep, ya really need to thumb it into place to make sure you're seated firmly.

I personally like the 9rd mag our beloved mothership delivers, but for those who want a little less, for concealed carry, etc... then here's an opportunity. Keep your eyes open, you can usually pick-up 1911 mags at a gun show for $8-12, so you can have a lot of spares for a little cash.

good shootin!
-CU

(AND, special thanks to my son Nathan for the video shots and for editing-out the phone calls & "is it running?" verbage)

[size=8pt]"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen"
—Samuel Adams
[/size]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Sam

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Re: DIY 1911 to Hi-Point .45 mag conversion

I broke your Youtube comment cherry! I hope that doesn't violate COC. LOL!

Great vid. To avoid the rattle I placed some small squares of electrical tape on one side of the mag (in two spots for support). Then sealed the raised squares with a longer piece of tape. It fits like a dream and hasn't failed me yet. There may be a better material to use because in hot weather I imagine the electrical tape will start to come off..

About 3 or 4 layers will get you a nice solid hold but won't prevent the mag from sliding out nicely.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
47_MasoN_47
You know who I am

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Send a message via ICQ to 47_MasoN_47 Send a message via AIM to 47_MasoN_47

For a more permanent solution you could put a thin layer of JB Weld on the mag then sand it down until it's a perfect fit.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
LouisianaGunner

Send a message via MSN to LouisianaGunner

Very nice, Coyote.
I think I smell a possible hicap mag for my JHP in the near future.

Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
Marlin Model 795ss .22lr

sic semper tyrannis

Old 03-19-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
CoyoteUGLY

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

great Idea Sam! I gotta DO that!

Quote:
Very nice, Coyote.
I think I smell a possible hicap mag for my JHP in the near future.
LOL! B'lieve me, I was eyeing one of those drum mags at a gunshow last weekend... i've heard naught but ill reports on them, but i like to learn for m'self... holding-out for a 40rd, but would buy a 25 if price is right. BUT, then I'd have to decide whether to feed my 1911 or my JHP w/it... oh the decisions in life!

[size=8pt]"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen"
—Samuel Adams
[/size]

Old 03-20-2010, 03:18 AM   #6
radair08

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks CU, this is GREAT information!

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Courage isn't about not being scared. It's about being scared and doing it anyway.

It is better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.

"Right leg, hospital. Left leg, cemetery."- Cro Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
CroCopitateya- I don't want to say anything. Judging by all of the MMA stuff, he could probably kick my ass.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
Stormvet

Great info. I am going to try it.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
Lunyfringe

I don't have a HP .45, so I'll ask someone who has one- would it be possible to mod the mag release on the pistol instead, so that it would use unmodified 1911 mags?

that way, if you have a 1911, and a HP .45, you can use the same mags... after watching the video, I'm certain modded mags would be problematic in a 1911...

you all know I'm out there...

Old 04-06-2010, 02:05 AM   #9
Sam

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That would be possible, just more involved. You would have to take the gun apart and make the magazine catch longer (or replace it with a longer one). Next experiment with it until you discover all 1000 of the tiny adjustments you might have to make. LOL!

Old 04-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #10
Lunyfringe

that's what I was thinking- I have a RIA tactical, but saw a new Big R opened in Colorado Springs, and they were having a sale- can get a .45 for $149... I've got a bunch of 1911 mags, but wouldn't want to ruin them for my 1911

you all know I'm out there...

Quick Reply