Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > Gunsmith shop > Thoughts on lightening the slide on my c9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 03:02 AM   #1
War123
War123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Thoughts on lightening the slide on my c9

So I was looking into it and want to get some feedback on my thoughts. I know that blow back guns act on a good part of their mass to function. So I was think that if I get spring wight on both springs and divided the spring weight by the weight of the slide individually. That would give me a base line to work from I then could increase the spring weights as I lighten the slide to equal the base line I know that it would make cocking the gun harder but I'm not that worried about. What I need to know is where could I take the weight from I remember a thread about there being inserts in the slide of different metals in spots that prone to fail. So let me know what you all think and we'll go from there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 04:45 AM   #2
duster066
HPF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Liked 1301 Times on 925 Posts
Likes Given: 2009

Check this out. It's math heavy, but may get you going.
http://www.orions-hammer.com/blowback/

"In order to finish first, first you must finish."
USAF, 1980-1988
http://www.oldwheelgunshop.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/pages/OWGS/470902946300089

Old 04-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
War123
War123

Thanks for the site I looked it over and I still believe that mass can be cut down by compensating with spring weight and like it says it will be harder to load but I will be going into this knowing that but my question still remains is there an ideal place to remove the weight or a place that I should avoid thank for the site

Old 05-01-2012, 01:36 AM   #4
rzrbax

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Default Perceived recoil will be heavier if you make the slide lighter

My C9 and JHP .45 have very little perceived recoil compared to other guns I have shot in the same caliber. The carbines have very light recoil as well. That is due to some extent to the mass of the slide.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
Bitsman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 330 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 148

You are playing with fire... The weapon was designed a certain way to operate and function the way it does... If you can figure out the proper spring to slide weight ratio.. You still run into the problem of WHERE exactly to remove the extra metal... if you take it off in to wrong place.. BAD THINGS can happen...

"...Three days ago, I passed a truck that will haul that rig. You wanna get out of here? You talk to me..."
....Mad Max....

...." G@#dammit, I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it'd do any good! ..."
...Can you name the movie?...

.."It is a pity that my collection of trophies contains not a single Russian."...
... Manfred Von Richthofen...(The Red Baron)...

Old 05-02-2012, 02:12 AM   #6
War123
War123

That's what I'm thinking. To much in the wrong place and it's goodbye good day at the range and hello bad day at at the hospital ( if I'm lucky). What I was thinking was a long narrow port on both sides of the barrel and sliming down the side straps a 1/16" or 3/64" then milling in some new serration on the front and rear of the side straps the top before the sights. I'm looking at maybe milling off 4 to 6 oz. total what do you all think

Old 05-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
duster066
HPF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Liked 1301 Times on 925 Posts
Likes Given: 2009

I'm plotting to play with fire as well. I'm going to make my JHP shoot 45 super. I'm not doing it to make a 45 super Hi Point because I don't think it's possible to do safely. My interest is in the round. If I can make the HP shoot it, then I can test the round and determine if I want a gun that shoots it safely. Because I understand the gun may fail I will shoot all 45 super rounds from a vice. I think you are risking a gun failure just as I am. I would not shoot your gun as you plan on modifying it with my hands. You can't just hack weight off the slide haphazardly without having some clue how the forces flow through the gun, and expect it to be safe. I'm likely to ruin my JHP, but I don't care. I also will not shoot it with 45 super with my hands. And if it survives the experiment I wont shoot it with 45acp until I have thoroughly inspected it with dye penetrant and a magnifying glass for cracks.

"In order to finish first, first you must finish."
USAF, 1980-1988
http://www.oldwheelgunshop.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/pages/OWGS/470902946300089

Old 05-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
Ranger-6
HPF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 465 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 1620

I apply a good amount of Tetra grease to my C9 slide, and it is effortless and slick sliding across the frame.

tetra.jpg  

Learning through experience can be deadly...

Old 05-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #9
ajole

Liked 4564 Times on 3189 Posts
Likes Given: 4065

AFAIK, the top and the areas in front of the chamber to the muzzle would be pretty free of any inserts. Go for an open top slide, like the M9/92 series, and you'd be OK, I think.

If it blows up, don't blame me.

He who smiles last....

......................thinks slowest.

Q

Not anything to do with me,...but SWAGA referred me to it...and it is pretty funny: The Ballad of Ajole
17 HP's and counting.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
Bitsman

Liked 330 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
AFAIK, the top and the areas in front of the chamber to the muzzle would be pretty free of any inserts. Go for an open top slide, like the M9/92 series, and you'd be OK, I think.

If it blows up, don't blame me.
Thats what I was thinking... As long as any removal of material takes place in front of the breech face chances of failure would be reduced greatly.. An open slide Hi Point would be rather interesting to see...

"...Three days ago, I passed a truck that will haul that rig. You wanna get out of here? You talk to me..."
....Mad Max....

...." G@#dammit, I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it'd do any good! ..."
...Can you name the movie?...

.."It is a pity that my collection of trophies contains not a single Russian."...
... Manfred Von Richthofen...(The Red Baron)...

Quick Reply