You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Hipointfirearmsforums.com    

Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > Gunsmith shop > What the best product for cold bluing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
six732
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What the best product for cold bluing

I have some projects that I would like to start and I need to find a simple yet effective product to reblue a shotgun and rifle that i am trying to bring back to life. So any useful information would be very much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
lklawson
HPF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Liked 2649 Times on 1744 Posts
Likes Given: 3011

Default Re: What the best product for cold bluing

I'm not sure you'll be happy with any cold-bluing. Different products seem to work OK visually. Most require more than one application with a fine steel-wool buffing in between. But all of the cold-blue products are essentially dyes or markers that fill the pores, cover the surface, and not much else. They tend to be thin and easily worn off and offer none of the (somewhat limited) corrosion protection that true bluing provides.

Further, some cold-blue products match your existing bluing better than others so a bit of experimentation may be required.

Now if you're satisfied with just cosmetic coloring that will not wear as well as true bluing, most any product that matches your existing color will work for you. Be sure to clean and degrease thoroughly before attempting to cold-blue or risk mottled, blotchy appearance, and follow the directions exactly. Some folks use steaming hot water, Dawn (or other "degreasing") dish soap. I've used both dish soap and automotive degreaser with equal results.

If you want something more durable, you should consider either rebluing or an application product like Duracoat. Many people like to do these as DIY products and they are, supposedly, more friendly to DIYers than Parkerizing. However, most gun smiths will be able to do one or both, typically at very reasonable prices.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning and maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."

Old 05-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
jgolden01

One of the Youtube channels I subscribe to just posted a 3-part video on some cold bluing the did using Brownell's Oxpho Blue

Old 05-20-2010, 05:46 AM   #4
farmkid

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
...Brownell's Oxpho Blue...
Absolutely the best cold blue I've used.

And as for what lklawson said: Duracoat is great if a non-traditional, rust-resistant finish is what you want.

I've used both, and advocate either, depending on requirements.

2011 Nominee: ZAMAC Award for Service: www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287701&page=2

Old 05-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #5
kalboy

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Brownell's Oxpho Blue, Dicropan T-4 and 44-40. 44-40 may have the most "factory" look of the ones I've used but as said before any cold blue will wear rather easily.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
lklawson
HPF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Liked 2649 Times on 1744 Posts
Likes Given: 3011

Quote:
And as for what lklawson said: Duracoat is great if a non-traditional, rust-resistant finish is what you want.
Application Finishes are quite traditional. The British government used a black enamel finish on combat handguns (Enfield No2 Mark I) during WWII and there are plenty of documented cases predating that.

What Duracoat and its competitors have going for them is that they're a modern application finish, frequently epoxy based as opposed to enamel based.

I should find a second Enfield breaktop to go along with my "original state" and have it refinished in flat-black Duracoat just for fun.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning and maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."

Old 05-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
six732

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I ended up trying some perma blue liquid blue and I hated the smell and the results, so now I am going with duracoat.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:03 AM   #8
lbreevesii

Send a message via AIM to lbreevesii

if you want I can get you a bit of a discount on duracoat products.

44-40 is a great cold blue, I hear good things about blue wonder(I think thats the name).

Protip: I don't recommend using cheap plastic airbrush pots, duracoat will melt them after a bit of exposure. Go glass.

~Happiness is a warm gun~

Old 05-22-2010, 11:27 PM   #9
jerry

nothing else even comes close

im so old,when i was born the dead sea wasn't even sick yet

Old 05-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #10
Zer0DazE

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
One of the Youtube channels I subscribe to just posted a 3-part video on some cold bluing the did using Brownell's Oxpho Blue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2BI6hF0vZA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLJ7dqg_Zis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ6LNhp9pfs

This or the Van's stuff are the best. I believe they may actually be the same product in different bottles.

Quick Reply