Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > Reloading Zone > 45 cal Carbine and reloads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
Bagarocks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 45 cal Carbine and reloads

Im curious if any of you guys through yer trial and error have come up with some parameters of what the 4595TS likes best.

Am I better off taking the Do Not Exceed loads at 5% rather than 10%?
Such as starting at mid range loads and working up?

I have Ram Shot True Blue, Bullseye and IMR Hi-Skor 800-X. I also have 2400 but I havent come across any load data for that powder and the 45ACP.

Look I'm not looking for load recipes just some direction through some of your trial and error experiences, to maybe reduce my experimentation time to finding that sweet load!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 03:32 AM   #2
Wheeljack
HPF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 93 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Can we quote figures from manufacturers sites or from the books???
If we can quote printed recipes or max and starting loads, we would need to know what kind of bullet you are using and its weight. Problem still being that the printed loads are usually for 4" barrels.

Buy American. The job you save may be your own.
Education is the best defense against the media.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Bagarocks

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeljack View Post
Can we quote figures from manufacturers sites or from the books???
If we can quote printed recipes or max and starting loads, we would need to know what kind of bullet you are using and its weight. Problem still being that the printed loads are usually for 4" barrels.
According to this thread listing "NO LOAD RECIPES TO BE POSTED"

Well Ive got many different load recipes from various sources and I have only found one recipe for a Marlin 18inch barrel (357 magnum Lever action) listed. Longest Handgun barrel reload Ive seen is 6 inches. Im just wondering through reloaders experiences with the 45 Carbine, are you more likely to start in the middle of loading ranges compared to lowest ranges of particular powders and bullet sizes. Or mid to high range below "do not Exceed".

Such as I might decide to try 4 different powders with any bullet size at their lowest range listed and find 3 out of 4 dont cycle well through the carbine, thats all Im trying to glean through your experiences

Old 07-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Mortblanc

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Most manuals have two load levels in the pistol section, one for regular handguns and one for the Thompson Center Contender for metallic Silouhette shooting.

The Contender loads are often heavier loads and velocities are taken from 12-14 inch barrels.

Loads are not controlled or considered safe by the velocities, or by barrel length, but by the preasure at the chamber.

The 45 ACP cartridge is now more than 100 years old and the "trial and error" part was over back around 1900. Use posted loads. they worked in the 1911, they worked in the Thompson SMG, the Rising, the Johnson, the Madsen and all the other SMG designs. The U.S. military never saw a need to issue a seperate SMG load in .45. There is no sense trying to reinvent the wheel for the Hi-Point.

It is a carbine that shoots a pistol cartridge, not a rifle.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:37 AM   #5
Bagarocks

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortblanc View Post
Most manuals have two load levels in the pistol section, one for regular handguns and one for the Thompson Center Contender for metallic Silouhette shooting.

The Contender loads are often heavier loads and velocities are taken from 12-14 inch barrels.

Loads are not controlled or considered safe by the velocities, or by barrel length, but by the preasure at the chamber.

The 45 ACP cartridge is now more than 100 years old and the "trial and error" part was over back around 1900. Use posted loads. they worked in the 1911, they worked in the Thompson SMG, the Rising, the Johnson, the Madsen and all the other SMG designs. The U.S. military never saw a need to issue a seperate SMG load in .45. There is no sense trying to reinvent the wheel for the Hi-Point.

It is a carbine that shoots a pistol cartridge, not a rifle.
Well thank you for your reply, The info you gave about the Thompson center contender for metallic Silouette shooting is helpful I havent looked at that I must check it out.
I didnt need the history lesson and your sarcasm didnt add a thing to my post or thread I'am not trying to reinvent the wheel. I have Modern reloading 2nd edition, Lyman reloading 49th edition, IMR load data, Alliant load data, Accurate Load data, Hodgson load data, Ramshot Load Data and Handloader magazine subscription!
I have yet to get my gun to the range, Ive seen and read where the Hi-Point handguns like "HOT LOADS" such as HD loads.
Are the Carbines the same?

So Im just trying to figure out if I start at minimum loads such as 10% under "DO NOT EXEED" Am I wasting my time? or should I start at 5% below "DO NOT EXEED" I dont know which method will give me a better sampling of looking for my sweet spot.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:35 AM   #6
Mortblanc

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagarocks View Post
Well thank you for your reply, The info you gave about the Thompson center contender for metallic Silouette shooting is helpful I havent looked at that I must check it out.
I didnt need the history lesson and your sarcasm didnt add a thing to my post or thread I'am not trying to reinvent the wheel. I have Modern reloading 2nd edition, Lyman reloading 49th edition, IMR load data, Alliant load data, Accurate Load data, Hodgson load data, Ramshot Load Data and Handloader magazine subscription!
I have yet to get my gun to the range, Ive seen and read where the Hi-Point handguns like "HOT LOADS" such as HD loads.
Are the Carbines the same?

So Im just trying to figure out if I start at minimum loads such as 10% under "DO NOT EXEED" Am I wasting my time? or should I start at 5% below "DO NOT EXEED" I dont know which method will give me a better sampling of looking for my sweet spot.
It is not scarcasim, it is factual information.

You want some scarcasim, go back to page one of the manual and read the entire thing! You were not paing attention the first time through.

The standard procedure when developing new loads is to start with the lowest recommended load and work up, not exceeding the recommended load. You do not start at just below max and go up!

Each gun is different and below max in one gun may be over max in another.

What Hi-Points "like" is a consistant load that cycles the action and provides accuracy without stress on the componants.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:32 AM   #7
Bagarocks

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortblanc View Post
It is not scarcasim, it is factual information.

You want some scarcasim, go back to page one of the manual and read the entire thing! You were not paing attention the first time through.

The standard procedure when developing new loads is to start with the lowest recommended load and work up, not exceeding the recommended load. You do not start at just below max and go up!

Each gun is different and below max in one gun may be over max in another.

What Hi-Points "like" is a consistant load that cycles the action and provides accuracy without stress on the componants.
Mortblanc you gave me more info in your last 2 paragraphs or sentences, than you have in the whole thread! I thank you.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
Bagarocks

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I tryed some various loads.

I used Bullseye, Ramshot True Blue and IMR HI-Skor 800x.

Using 185 grn LSWC's and 200 grn JFP's

I thought the Bullseye 10% reduced load with the 185 was the most accuarate with the right amount of recoil.

I thought the 800x 7% reduced load 185 was close to the BE 10%

I thought the Ramshot loads all were "Hotter loads" compared to the other 2 powders.
I dont think Ramshot loads were as accurate as Bullseye or 800x

With loads at the highest allowable pressure and velocitys I thought Ramshot were the heaviest and 800x a shade less.

Weather this is usefull information or not to anyone. It was eye opening to me as far as the differences in recoil, accuaracy and handling of the different powders using light medium and heavy loads.

On thing, The 800x powder is a real pain as far as metering on my powder measures. Those big flakes were tough to get consistency.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
err.gray

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Bagarocks, That's really a good question you pose. It's been my experience that 5 rather than 10 percent is a fine place to start. Furthermore I'll recommend you try a pound of Unique for lead bullet loads...can't go wrong if you ask me

Old 10-20-2012, 01:50 AM   #10
waynzwld

For carbine loads, try to use the slowest powders listed for that caliber.
I found that they usually give the highest velocities and lower pressures.

Quick Reply