You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Hipointfirearmsforums.com    

Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > Reloading Room >

Cleaning, primers, resizing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
Wheeljack
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 103 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default Cleaning, primers, resizing.

The Quick....run the shells thru the resizing die, removing the primer and installing the new primer. Slower, clean the shells first before removing the spent primers. Slowest...remove the primers, clean the shells, with or without cleaning the primer pockets first. Then resize and install primers. Each to his own. Myself, shake and wipe of the fired shells, remove the primers, clean primer pockets, clean in an untra sonic cleaner, resize and reprime.
Doing this I found using the press to remove the primers was slow. I made a depriming tool from a Stanley, spring loaded, punch.
Stanley 58-013 Self-Centering Screw Hole Punch

Two adjustments to the punch. The tip of the punch was ground down to fit into the primer hole with no binding. The end of the punch was ground down to fit well into my 9mm shells. A piece of 2 x 4 with lots of small holes drilled thru, that the primers would fit into. The punch fits into the shell, the shell is placed over the hole in the 2x4 and a whack with a mallet and the primer is out. It's just faster than using the press.

Check out the punch at Amazon.com.

How do you do it??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
cigr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I don't even look at the primer pocket unless I didn't hear the old primer hit the bucket.

Brass gets cleaned before it goes on the press with the dead primer still in place.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
duster066
HPF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Liked 2055 Times on 1355 Posts
Likes Given: 2566

In my system I go from the tumbler to a single finished round and then repeat until they are all loaded. This to me is the whole point of the turret press. I clean them as they come out of the gun, then size and deprime. For good rounds I then clean the pockets, check the case length, and carry on. With my plinking rounds, if I'm feeling lazy, I sometimes skip the pocket cleaning, and always skip the case length check. The only rifle round I reload is 30-30, and I've only loaded about a hundred of those. I skip no steps with those, and don't plan on ever slamming rifle rounds together.

http://www.oldwheelgunshop.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/pages/OWGS/470902946300089

Old 05-31-2013, 02:23 AM   #4
Bitsman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 339 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 148

De-prime... Lube... Use hard plastic mallet to beat the shell into the Lee Loader re-sizing die... Beat the shell out... Inspect.. Toss any that are too beat up... toss into small pillow case with some crushed walnut media... toss into clothes dryer let it run for about an hour... Shift out cases... Cases usually come out nice and shiny... Re-prime... Charge... Seat bullet... REPEAT...

...." G@#dammit, I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it'd do any good! ..."
...Can you name the movie?...

.."It is a pity that my collection of trophies contains not a single Russian."...
... Manfred Von Richthofen...(The Red Baron)...

Quick Reply