Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > Reloading Zone > Home made shot maker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
Drilln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Home made shot maker

I did it, I built a shot maker that is turning out some very nice (a little bigger than I wanted but still usable, about a size 6 instead of 7) I used Hobart .023 inch wire feed nozzels for dripper nozzels (7 dollars for 5) and the rest was made from scrap I had laying around. Since the pictures and video were taken I have added a third nozzel and have added a layer of vegtable oil to the top of my antifreeze coolant.

As you can see, I feed it with my Lee production pot. What you cant see is the propane torch heating the under side of the bowl. The stainless steel ramp I covered with a layer of arsenol drop out mold release. I can now make about 20 pounds of good lead shot in a little over an hour not counting washing and drying time. here is a short vid of it in action.

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s51/WRQSUX/?action=view&current=100_0142.flv

None of my shot pictures turned out, so when I go on days off, I will try to take some more. Neither my daughters or my trap scores suffered when we started using this shot two weeks ago, and it will definatly save me some money.

Drilln, the poster formerly known as wkinden.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
Drilln

Default Re: Home made shot maker

Oh, and dont give me to hard a time about the crappy looking welds, I literally cobbled this together in a afternoon to test the therory and it worked so well I don't feel like rebuilding it just so it looks good..........

Old 07-28-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
Super_Virgil

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Send a message via AIM to Super_Virgil Send a message via Yahoo to Super_Virgil

Awesome man, i have been thinking about building one of these. How do you keep the lead in the pan hot? Do you just use the production pot and no othere heat source???

Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.
Optimus Prime

You can find me at Pioneer Gun Club. Kansas city's only comprehensive gun club www.pioneergunclub.org

Old 07-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
Silicon Wolverine

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

i looked into it but with lead shot back down to 25-30$ per bag and lead getting hard to come by i skipped it.

SW

Old 07-29-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
Drilln

Quote:
Awesome man, i have been thinking about building one of these. How do you keep the lead in the pan hot? Do you just use the production pot and no othere heat source???
I have a small propane torch heating the underside of the bowl. It is the kind that screws on to the one pound bottles (I feed it with a hose from a 25# bottle though)

Old 08-04-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
perotter

Liked 486 Times on 354 Posts
Likes Given: 652

Thanks for posting your work.

Years ago my dad bought us boys a Littleton. Now a days knowing something about how they work, we'd have did a DIY.

"The totalitarian states can do great things, but there is one thing they cannot do: they cannot give the factory-worker a rifle and tell him to take it home and keep it in his bedroom. That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage, is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." - George Orwell

Quick Reply