Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > Reloading Zone > How many reloads from 1 pound of powder???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
UncaScrooge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How many reloads from 1 pound of powder???

Hi... slowly moving from stocking up on ammo to buying a Lee Anniversary kit, dies, etc... to start reloading for my 995's and for my S&W .38spl.

I was lucky enough to start stocking up on small pistol primers (Federal 100's and CCI 500's) the early part of this summer, even though I thought the prices were high. Let's just say, I think I have plenty of primers... now need to get a couple of manuals, equipment, bullets and powder.

Can anyone give me an idea of how many 9mm and/or .38spl rounds I can reload out of a one-pound package of powder?

Thanks in advance! 8)

...no guarantees that I know what I'm talking about!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
SamStafford

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Re: How many reloads from 1 pound of powder???

Not all powders are the same. Some powders you will get more reloads and some powders will get less reloads. What powder were you going to use? What gr. of bullet were you going to use?

What? Me worry?
Hi-Point C-9
Hi-Point Classic 995
Hi-Point 995TS

Old 01-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
drezac

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

it varies - 7000 grain per pound of power - divide 7000 by your charge per round.

for my 9mm , it's over 1500 per pound, however for my 7.7x58 jap, it's around 145-150 (These are rounded, approximate numbers as a example and general ballpark figure - don't even think of trying to reverse the math to get a load.)

Old 01-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
UncaScrooge

Thanks for the reply....

Right now, I have 115 gr FMJ for plinking/practice, and 147 gr HP's for HD.

I think where I want to wind up is reloading strictly 147 gr bullets.

I sent a message to Silicon Wolverine to ask for his "formula". I think he's using 124 gr bullets, but the powder he uses is Blue Dot. I think I may want to use his info as a base, adjusting for the difference in bullet weight.

So, the answer to your questions is: likely Blue Dot powder, and likely 147 gr bullets.

The reason I asked about how many rounds can 1 pound of powder make is because I don't want to buy enough powder to make 100,000 rounds :wideeyed2:... on the other hand, I don't want to buy so little that I can barely make a hundred rounds at a time.

I figure with the shortages out there, when an opportunity to get powder shows up, I'd like to "stock up" so I wouldn't have to worry if supplies disappear again. So, my "target" is to have enough powder to enable me, over the years, to load up a couple or few thousand rounds.

BTW, I already am stocked up on Federall 100 primers, and CCI 500 primers. I'm just starting to learn, but I suspect the primer used affects the amount of powder also.

Any info you can share will be greatly appreciated!!!! :yes:

Old 01-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
RandyP

Yep, simple arithmetic. 7000/your charge in grains = # of reloads per pound. Manufacturing tolerances and slight powder throw differences could make that number slightly lower, but it's plenty good for conversational purposes.

I'd add that posting actual load data is frowned upon on this forum. Best bet is get the manual and cross check with the powder manufacturer website. Many provide reloading data. I only use Win 231 (AKA Hodgdon HP-38) and their website is an excellent resource using their powders.

Several firearms in .22LR, .380ACP, 9mm, 7.62x25 and .45ACP. Lee reloading gear.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
UncaScrooge

Thanks for the ballpark figures, drezac.

When I get my manuals, I'll be studying up to know where things stand.

Right now, sound like a couple of pounds or so would take care of my "stockpile" needs.

7,000 grains per pound of powder: very useful info!

Old 01-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
UncaScrooge

Quote:
Yep, simple arithmetic. 7000/your charge in grains = # of reloads per pound. Manufacturing tolerances and slight powder throw differences could make that number slightly lower, but it's plenty good for conversational purposes.

I'd add that posting actual load data is frowned upon on this forum. Best bet is get the manual and cross check with the powder manufacturer website. Many provide reloading data. I only use Win 231 (AKA Hodgdon HP-38) and their website is an excellent resource using their powders.
I caught that posting specific load data is a NO-NO on here, and can understand that.

I'll be getting the latest Speer manual, and the Lee manual (might also get the Hornady manual, but not sure if it's worth it): expecting to spend a few weeks, or a lot of weeks, reading up and researching before I start reloading... definitely not interested in experiencing KB's or squibs.

P.S. Thanks for pointing me to Hodgon: will google their website.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
UncaScrooge

Quote:
At one time all I could get was small rifle primers to use in my .38spl and .357mag cases. I just use less powder that's all. I have the Lee 2nd Book. Very good book. Most people state this book is on the weak side of reloads. The more books, the better.
Thanks for the input. Regarding how you handled your primer situation... I've caught on that reloading can be a science and an art, and pretty "sophisticated." Being a total starter/newbie... I plan to be very conservative and go by-the-book at the beginning... if not for years and years... if not forever!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #9
Silicon Wolverine

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

i use all alliant powders, i get about 1600 rounds per pound for pistol loads and about 1100 for carbine 9mm loads.

SW

Old 01-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
RandyP

Reloading allows for participation and complexity for all budgets and needs. From the simple $30 Lee Loader and powder dipper to the big bucks Dillon 1050 manufacturing centers.

I shoot only paper zombies to stay in practice for self defense, and for the simple fun of plinking and the relaxation I find in target shooting.. I 'require' only M.O.D. accuracy (minute of dead) and reloading allows me to shoot more rounds for the same money and have fewer worries about ammo shortages. My Lee turret and single stage gear makes all the safe, accurate and reliable ammo I need with few "fancy' high priced tools and gizmos.

Many other reloaders shoot loooooooong range rifle and really seek that 1/2 minute of angle stuff and are extremely diligent and finicky about each round they make. Some competition bullseye shooters are trying hard to get their groups at 25 yards from 2" to 1-1/2" and therefore use amazing levels of accuracy when they reload.

Most shooters I see at my local range would be tickled pink to keep all their rounds in the black at 25 feet. Heck many are thrilled just to keep them someplace on the paper at that distance.

Determine your personal realistic needs and buy gear accordingly. It ain't rocket surgery unless you want it to be.

Several firearms in .22LR, .380ACP, 9mm, 7.62x25 and .45ACP. Lee reloading gear.

Quick Reply