Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > Reloading Zone > Overall Length for Semi Wadcutter for 45 acp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 02:12 AM   #1
awoolard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Overall Length for Semi Wadcutter for 45 acp

Hi,

I'm looking for load data for a 215gr Semi Wadcutter bullet. Actually, I just need the the maximum over length. I plan using 5.0 grains of hp38.

Thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
CoyoteUGLY

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

my 200's come-in around 1.175"... but there are so many different shapes out there, some with longer cones than others...

I personally don't worry so much about the OAL, but more about the headspacing. My JHP will eat most any bullet, stuffed to any OAL, but my 1911 is a little fussy bout head-space, so i hafta push 'em deep enough they just kiss the rifling - so I'd say stuff one & make sure it chambers fully in the firearms you intend to use, then you can worry about how well it cycles etc.

[size=8pt]"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen"
—Samuel Adams
[/size]

Old 05-23-2012, 04:34 AM   #3
awoolard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteUGLY
my 200's come-in around 1.175"... but there are so many different shapes out there, some with longer cones than others...

I personally don't worry so much about the OAL, but more about the headspacing. My JHP will eat most any bullet, stuffed to any OAL, but my 1911 is a little fussy bout head-space, so i hafta push 'em deep enough they just kiss the rifling - so I'd say stuff one & make sure it chambers fully in the firearms you intend to use, then you can worry about how well it cycles etc.
Thanks for your input!

Old 05-23-2012, 04:43 AM   #4
duster066
HPF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Liked 1301 Times on 925 Posts
Likes Given: 2009

I shoot a 230gr lead round nose in my JHP. It was very temperamental with longer OAL. The shorter I made the cartridge the better it ran them.

"In order to finish first, first you must finish."
USAF, 1980-1988
http://www.oldwheelgunshop.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/pages/OWGS/470902946300089

Old 05-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
Mortblanc

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I sometines use a 200 gn SWC hard cast out of an RCBS mold I bought back in the 1980s. I have since that time abandoned the hispeed SWC loads and reverted to the traditional 230RN for simplicity and sure functioning in any of my .45 caliber guns. One size fits all and it starts out as big as you want a 9mm to expand too.

When using the SWC I seat the bullet so the bore diameter secton is inside the case with only a hair of the lead (.010-.015") visible. Flush is prefered but with assorted cases mixed in the batch I use the "nearly flush" method to avoid deep seating some rounds.

My worked over 1911 pistols will feed empty cases from the magazine, but long OAL will jam them every time.

Seat them as close to the edge of the bore diameter step as you dare. That little sharp edge is what the case headspaces on, do not be afraid of it. If your gun hangs up on it there is something wrong with the gun, not the loads.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
awoolard

Thanks Duster and Mort! Great information. I'm ready to load em up!

Quick Reply