Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > Reloading Zone > Recommend a cheap powder scale.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 03:56 AM   #1
ThompsonCustom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Recommend a cheap powder scale.

Was wondering what you reloaders use for a scale. I would like a digital grain scale but don't want to break the bank can anyone recommend a good scale at a good price?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
Bitsman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 331 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Personally, I do not think the words "CHEAP" and "RELOADING" belong in the same sentence...

Not only do you get what you pay for, but when dealing with potentially DEADLY ingredients it is always best to be as accurate as possible. There is a big difference between 3 grains of a powder and say 3.2 grains of the same powder.

Any scale that you decide on should be able to measure accurately down to 0.01 or 0.02 grains..

This is what I recently purchased... It works well and i feel comfortable with it level of accuracy. Also it is a good idea to pick up a set of calibration weights to check your scale from time to time..

http://www.amazon.com/RELOADING-SCALE-Digital-Gunpowder-Reloading-Powder-Black/dp/B005MKCGZU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1320400459&sr=8-8

Old 11-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
res45
BoolitMaster

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The budged price digital scales are hit and miss as far as reliability and holding zero but some work just fine,the load sensor is the most critical part. I have one but I use it more to weigh brass or bullets.

If you get one that will stay within .01 to .02 grs. it will be fine as long as you not working at max. loads. For the majority of loads especially when you get into the higher case volumes a tenth of a gr. or two for the average shooter accuracy wise doesn't make a difference.

For setting up my RCBS powder measure or check what my RCBS rotors throw I prefer my beam scales plus they want ever need batteries. These get a pretty good review http://www.midwayusa.com/product/175512/frankford-arsenal-ds-750-electronic-powder-scale-750-grain-capacity but for but for basically about $20 more you can get a nice set of Dillon beam scales http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/3018

"It's only a wuss caliber until you get shot with it."

Old 11-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
Delmar

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsman View Post
Personally, I do not think the words "CHEAP" and "RELOADING" belong in the same sentence...
You can actually find some very accurate inexpensive digital scales. If you go that route it is important know it it is accurate. You can do that by calibrating with a weight that is a known quantity. This one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AWS-70-Grain-Reload-Carat-Gram-Digital-Scale-Gun-Powder-Gem-0-2gn-0-01g-/160666177721?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256873 50b9 comes with such a weight.

I bought one for $10 on EBAY which does the job but it is a pain to use.

I own 4 pistols, a 995 and a 12 ga SxS, the most expensive of which is my $200 Hi Point carbine.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
Delmar

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by res45 View Post
The budged price digital scales are hit and miss as far as reliability and holding zero but some work just fine,the load sensor is the most critical part. I have one but I use it more to weigh brass or bullets.

If you get one that will stay within .01 to .02 grs. it will be fine as long as you not working at max. loads. For the majority of loads especially when you get into the higher case volumes a tenth of a gr. or two for the average shooter accuracy wise doesn't make a difference.

For setting up my RCBS powder measure or check what my RCBS rotors throw I prefer my beam scales plus they want ever need batteries. These get a pretty good review http://www.midwayusa.com/product/175512/frankford-arsenal-ds-750-electronic-powder-scale-750-grain-capacity but for but for basically about $20 more you can get a nice set of Dillon beam scales http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/3018
Beam scales are the best. Lee has one for about the same price and I like mine a lot.

I own 4 pistols, a 995 and a 12 ga SxS, the most expensive of which is my $200 Hi Point carbine.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
res45
BoolitMaster

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This is the one I have http://www.eabco.com/electronicpowderscale.htm I have the 1540 gr. model I bought three years ago. Make sure if you have multiple powder pans that you mark one and use it all the time,they do weigh differently and will throw you off.

"It's only a wuss caliber until you get shot with it."

Old 11-05-2011, 12:00 AM   #7
GDC1

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Beam scales are hard to beat for accuracy and reliability. The Lee scale is a good inexpensive reliable unit. If you are set on digital, The Smart Reloader is reasonably priced at ~$35.00 and reliable. You can also use lead shot or an airgun pellet as a calibration weight in a pinch

Old 11-05-2011, 04:24 AM   #8
TONEY D

I use the lee scales.

M&P 40c XDM9 Pf9 P3at P32 RIA 1911-A1cs

Old 11-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
Hayman

I also use a beam scale to set my powder measure, then I use the digital to check every 10th round, gives me peace of mind. The digital is great for checking shotgun loads. The Lee scale is quite accurate, but a little hard to read. The RCBS and other cost more. but are a little more user friendly. I would NOT get a digital scale (especially inexpensive) without already owning a beam scale. Just my .02 worth, Hayman

Old 11-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #10
kalboy

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I can recommend the Lee scale also. These work very well ,are inexpensive and simple to use. Nothing much to go wrong .
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/943305/lee-improved-powder-measure-kit

Quick Reply