Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > Curio & Relic Zone > Mosin Accurizing Kit... Thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Joshua M. Smith
Mosin Sight Manufacturer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Mosin Accurizing Kit... Thoughts?

This is a basic accurizing kit for the Mosin-Nagant.

Quote:
This is the first basic accurizing kit and will work for the majority of the Russian and Chinese Mosin-Nagant rifles and carbines out there.

Included:

•1 front and 1 rear shim. These are thick and eliminate random pressure points in the stock bedding.

•1 recoil lug shim. This keeps your Mosin's action tight against the recoil lug in its stock, providing repeatability shot-to-shot. An added benefit is that the screws don't absorb the recoil and so stay tight.

•One barrel pressure pad. Taming barrel harmonics is essential to precision and accuracy.

•Instructions are included.
The tang shim is smaller than is usually seen, and the shims that should be steel, are, with the recoil lug shim being brass.

The pressure point is thin, oiled gasket stock, but I may change this to slightly thicker cork gasket. The fiber gasket just holds oil better and should work for the majority of people.

What do you think?

Regards,

Josh

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
sbuchho345
HPF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 102 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Send a message via Yahoo to sbuchho345

Let me say this first I am very unfamiliar with the 91/30 platform. That being said. how dificult is the installation of this kit?
And on your sights I see you offer several different versions or styles of front sights for the 91/30 do you offer anything as an uprgade for the rear sight?
What I have is a 44 round receiver that I want to refinish the stock on and mount a scout scope to.
And a 31 hex receiver that is a bit beat up. That one I'm trying my hand on refinishing an extra aim surplus stock to dress it up. I want to install one of your front sights also but not sure which is best. and, do you offer an upgrade for the original rear sight? I know some may say why bother dressing them up.. They may be old, But knowing I have a piece of history doesnt mean it has to be kept ugly. And its not like I'm modifying the last know example of a specific gun...

NEVER !! Under estimate the power of a large group of idiots !!

Idiot proof it, And you will find a better Idiot !!

Old 05-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
Branth
HPF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 486 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 773

I'm trying to figure out how on earth those shims fit on the rifle... They seem pretty big. I just free-floated mine with some sandpaper and perseverance.

-DPMS Lo-Pro Classic AR-15
-Hi-Point C9

The enemy of my enemy is my friend, until my enemy is dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
Man, if it wasn't for having to freaking eat, I'd have a ton more guns.
I'm so hardcore, I carry 2 in the chamber!

Old 05-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
Sirex

Liked 78 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbuchho345 View Post
Let me say this first I am very unfamiliar with the 91/30 platform. That being said. how dificult is the installation of this kit?
And on your sights I see you offer several different versions or styles of front sights for the 91/30 do you offer anything as an uprgade for the rear sight?
What I have is a 44 round receiver that I want to refinish the stock on and mount a scout scope to.
And a 31 hex receiver that is a bit beat up. That one I'm trying my hand on refinishing an extra aim surplus stock to dress it up. I want to install one of your front sights also but not sure which is best. and, do you offer an upgrade for the original rear sight? I know some may say why bother dressing them up.. They may be old, But knowing I have a piece of history doesnt mean it has to be kept ugly. And its not like I'm modifying the last know example of a specific gun...
The Mosin is one of the easiest guns to work on....ever. That said, most modifications are usually reversible. Ihave a Smith fiber optic red sight post on my 91/30 and is good, and pretty easy to take off and on the sight.

As far as the kit, I like it. Have you done a deal of testing with it? I would like to put it on my M91 to get some better shooting, maybe my M44.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
sbuchho345
HPF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 102 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Send a message via Yahoo to sbuchho345

I haven't fired either gun yet. I wanted to get one setup and if it shoots like crap I would be able to swap over all my mods to next gun. I'm not doing any thing that can't be either reversed or transfers to the next gun. in case one prints poorly.

NEVER !! Under estimate the power of a large group of idiots !!

Idiot proof it, And you will find a better Idiot !!

Old 06-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
bry33productions

Liked 201 Times on 160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith
This is a basic accurizing kit for the Mosin-Nagant.

The tang shim is smaller than is usually seen, and the shims that should be steel, are, with the recoil lug shim being brass.

The pressure point is thin, oiled gasket stock, but I may change this to slightly thicker cork gasket. The fiber gasket just holds oil better and should work for the majority of people.

What do you think?

Regards,

Josh
You should throw in a washer and spring for the trigger job, sell it as either a whole package, or two seperate packages and you will definetely increase sales.

As for the accurizing, do you have any tangible data? maybe a 5 shot group (pics or vid) before and after installation?

Old 06-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
Joshua M. Smith
Mosin Sight Manufacturer

Hello,

Not directly comparable due to 20 yards' difference and ammo difference, but the first target was shot prior to shim installation; the other sometime after:

No washers. I have a trigger that I'll sell when I find the proper insurance. I'll likely have to have my full gunsmithing license before that insurance. Don't really want it as I don't know that I'll have time to work on actual guns. The sights keep me busy. But I guess it will be a good just-in-case deal and I'm in the process of setting up an outbuilding for a shop so the ATF doesn't have free reign to go through my house.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. I really don't believe in washers, though; the same thing can be accomplished better with a couple sear bends in the proper places.

Regards,

Josh

Old 06-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #8
bry33productions

Liked 201 Times on 160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith
Hello,

Not directly comparable due to 20 yards' difference and ammo difference, but the first target was shot prior to shim installation; the other sometime after:

No washers. I have a trigger that I'll sell when I find the proper insurance. I'll likely have to have my full gunsmithing license before that insurance. Don't really want it as I don't know that I'll have time to work on actual guns. The sights keep me busy. But I guess it will be a good just-in-case deal and I'm in the process of setting up an outbuilding for a shop so the ATF doesn't have free reign to go through my house.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. I really don't believe in washers, though; the same thing can be accomplished better with a couple sear bends in the proper places.

Regards,

Josh
I dont blame you for being hesitant, i know about the bends, i went the washer route just due to the fact that if i dont like it, i can easially remove it, the bends i may never get right if i wanted to revert.

Is the accurizing kit for the original stock only, or would the ati stock still benefit from it?

Old 06-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
Joshua M. Smith
Mosin Sight Manufacturer

Hello,

I would assume the kit would work in the ATI stock, but I cannot be 100% certain. The principles are the same.

The only question I would have is, does the ATI stock have a recoil lug? I have looked at them before and don't remember seeing one; figure if it has one it's internal.

If not, though, the shim for the front face of the recoil lug can be deleted for the ATI stock. I don't see why the remainder wouldn't work.

Regards,

Josh

Old 06-08-2013, 04:23 AM   #10
MaryB

Liked 351 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Price? I may be interested for my 91/30

Quick Reply