Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > 2nd Amendment > aljazeera.com On Why Americans Love Their Guns. Or Something Like That

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
Dklaw1619
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default aljazeera.com On Why Americans Love Their Guns. Or Something Like That

Well I was stumbling around the internets tonight and i stumbled the website "the truth about guns" and found this

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/03/robert-farago/aljazeera-com-why-americans-love-their-guns/

Elliot Fineman from National Gun Victim’s Action Council (NGAC)
States "the reasons given for people to carry guns make no sense" and "People lose control they don't remain law abiding citizens"

He says things that make my head hurt just listening to.

WOW

Look at this and tell me what you think

Sorry if I'm wrong and taking this the wrong way but some of the anti-gun arguments make no sense.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
gun
Powered by air

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dklaw1619 View Post
Well I was stumbling around the internets tonight and i stumbled the website "the truth about guns" and found this

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/03/robert-farago/aljazeera-com-why-americans-love-their-guns/

Elliot Fineman from National Gun Victim’s Action Council (NGAC)
States "the reasons given for people to carry guns make no sense" and "People lose control they don't remain law abiding citizens"

He says things that make my head hurt just listening to.

WOW

Look at this and tell me what you think

Sorry if I'm wrong and taking this the wrong way but some of the anti-gun arguments make no sense.
There was only one person who really seemed to both know and understand the complexities of guns rights in the United States there. He was the youngest at the table.

The police guy didn't seem to understand the difference between a right and a privilege.

The NGAC just sounded ignorant and completely detached from reality.

Some number of years ago I found a really awesome history thesis on gun rights in state of Texas. I wish like hell I could find it again. The paper was very interesting because not only are many of the laws in Texas unconstitutional at both the state and federal level, but they wonderfully document what has been historically much more feared than guns.

It seems, the weapon everyone (historically in Texas) fears more than guns is the Bowie knife. What's surprising about this is, even though new firearms were now readily available, which included rapid fire pistols, rifles, and multi-barreled rifles, the weapons which really scared people were knives. As such, its hardly surprising that in places where guns are illegal, the weapon of choice is a knife. The murder statistics clearly show that if guns are not available, knives will become the preference. So arguing "guns kill people" is the argument of someone who clearly has no clue about the complexities of the subject matter.

In a age where military weapons were commonly accepted as a right to own, as guaranteed by the US Constitution, it was the knife which truly inspired fear. For every ignorant person who wants guns to disappear, they condemn us to a far worse fate, at the end of a sharp, pointed blade. Needless to say, safety is absolutely not what such ideologies bring to the table.

BTW, if anyone knows which paper I'm talking about above and has a copy, PLEASE contact me so I can get a copy.

There are old pilots and bold pilots but no old, bold pilots.
Those who believe in common sense - have none.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Kri

Liked 76 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dklaw1619

"the reasons given for people to carry guns make no sense" and "People lose control they don't remain law abiding citizens"

Someone doesnt know rights.
Doesnt have common sense.

Even if it wasnt layed as an ammendment, it is STILL a right, as a human being.

Dont worry. These will be the people I won't help when they come knockin on my door, begging for food if the grid fails.

They can eat my. 45 bullet.

"I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Old 05-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Chromehorn13
Mike.357

Liked 153 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 73

the entire theory of gun control is pretty much wacko.

Gun control is about controlling people. Criminals will always have weapons. They don't care about breaking laws.

It is ridiculous to think you can legislate morals. And basically being a criminal is about ignoring morals.

To stop law abiding citizens from being able to level the playing field with criminals is immoral. There is no valid reason for it.

Tennessee, the patron state of shooting stuff.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
HiPoint

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A large portion of the US population depends on the government to defend them. The police are expected to be everything from body guard to school teacher. I am glad I have lived in a rural area all my life. I have never had to endure a neighbor who calls the cops because my radio is to loud or my dog is barking. In this area calling the cops on your neighbors is a good way to end sitting by yourself at breakfast. You will not be welcome at any community table.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
lklawson
HPF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Liked 2129 Times on 1418 Posts
Likes Given: 2395

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun View Post
It seems, the weapon everyone (historically in Texas) fears more than guns is the Bowie knife. What's surprising about this is, even though new firearms were now readily available, which included rapid fire pistols, rifles, and multi-barreled rifles, the weapons which really scared people were knives.
As a Bowie Knife fighting expert (yes, really), I've spend some time researching this. You have to dig into the historic documents, archives, and news papers to get a handle on it. It's complex and interesting but the short version of it is this (tell me if it sounds familiar to you):

Newspapers printed a bunch of sensational stories about dangerous types killing each other, dueling, and committing various acts of murder and mayhem with "Bowie Knives." As the facts, court records, and other relevant data is examined you find that when the newspapers used the term "Bowie Knife" it could have meant nearly any kind of knife but "for some reason" they always decided to call it a "Bowie." You further find that actual court and criminal records show a decided disparity between the mayhem described in the newspapers and actual criminal activity. Nevertheless, newspapers printed the stories, Joe Public got freaked out about nefarious "Bowie Knives," and Politicians decided they "had to do something."

This story ring any bells? Thought so.

Now, that's not to say that Bowie Knives weren't common or popular nor that duels didn't happen. There was a time when Bowie Knives were the "must have" fashion accessory for the well heeled gentleman and there's a record of a Bowie Knife duel between two Legislators in the Arkansas State House (one died, the other was maimed). But when it came to the actual "problem" of Bowie Knives as compared the the perceived problem... well, to put it in Texas terms: All Hat, No Cattle.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning and maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."

Last edited by lklawson; 06-27-2012 at 07:58 PM. Reason: sp

Old 07-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
gun