Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > 2nd Amendment > South Carolina CWP test questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
sciggs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default South Carolina CWP test questions...

Hey guys. I'm taking the CWP course on the 19th in South Carolina and am kind of curious on what the written and shooting tests are all about.

I've heard the written test is really easy as long as you pay attention in class.

As far as the shooting test, I know that 70% is required to pass but does anyone know the distances you shoot from? Also, what all do I need to bring to the class? They didn't tell me much when I signed up.

I haven't shot much so I'm just kind of nervous about the shooting test. I know I can shoot accurately but I may get nervous with an instructor behind me. Obviously I'm new to guns so any help or links are greatly appreciated. Thanks. 8)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
SHOOTER Z

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Re: South Carolina CWP test questions...

Take what they require of you for your class 50 or 100 rounds of ammo [different classes, different amounts] Take a hat, your shooting glasses, a strong side holster, and your weapon!! Alos grab a notebook and pen[s] for note taking.
[Hint if you're using a automatic bring along an extra mag unloaded of course in case your 1st mag has a failure]

good luck and as long as you have a good instructor and listen well you'll pass the test they go thru it .

Old 12-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Krippp

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

When my wife and I took ours last year in SC we needed an extra mag to demonstrate a proper reload during one of the final shooting stages and if I remember correctly we shot at 10, 20, and 30ft. I think it was 10 shots at each level. all you have to do is to hit a man sized target and keep it on target, no extra points for the X ring. It was not hard at all, the test questions are more than easy, it's almost as if SC wants you to have the license. Took about 2 months to actually get the license in our hands. As shooterz said, take your safety equipment and 50-100 rnds of ammo. If you have a .22 then I would take it as it doesn't matter what you qualify with as long as you qualify. I know a guy who tried to qualify with a .500 S&W, he could not finish the shooting test due to pain.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
zombie

when you take the test, let me know how they are testing now, i plan to take it some time in april next year when i get back home
thanks

Old 12-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
kevron2020

To qualify in Michigan you had to shoot 10 consecutive rounds on a peice of paper from 7 yrds. Didn't matter how many rnds you shot at the paper, as long as 10 consecutive rnds were on the paper. (this was after 3 hrs of shooting)

Old 12-13-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
sciggs

Thanks for the info guys. I'm taking the class this Saturday. I'm ready to go and am actually pretty excited about it. I'll report back how it went.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
sciggs

Well I took the class yesterday. It was actually really interesting and learned a good bit. I figured it would be dry and boring. The written test was easy. Most of the questions are common sense knowledge but we had to get an 85 or better to pass. We also had to get an 85 on the shooting test to pass. All shots had to be inside the 7 ring of the standard B27 target. Any shots outside of the 7 ring but still in the silhouette were minus 2 points. Shots still on the target but missed the silhouette were minus 5 points. So, you couldnt miss more than 3 shots off of the silhouette. They seemed a little more strict than some of the tests that I've read about with 70% passing. I don't think anyone in the class failed though.

We shot all 50 rounds. We started at 3 yds, shot 5 from ready position and 5 while drawing from holster. We did the same sequence at 5, 7, and 10 yds. Then we shot 5 rounds from 12 & 15 yards while drawing from the holster.

Overall, it was a great experience. They gave us a 45 pg CWP manual they wrote themselves that's pretty informative. My C9 fired perfectly and there was another 380 ACP in the class. The instructor actually said that he likes Hi-Points even know they get a bad rap. He said he could take anyone's money shooting his 380 so that was good to hear from someone I figured would be a gun snob. Now, I just gotta wait the 90 days for SLED to send me my permit.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
zombie

good info

Quick Reply