Free HPFF Decals for Helping out!
Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > CCW & Open Carry > 1 in the chamber, or not (pls read 1st post)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
carter9mm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to carter9mm
Default 1 in the chamber, or not (pls read 1st post)

how many of you carry locked and loaded, and if so would you carry like that in your home? heres my input not trying to change your minds but read this, IN THE TIME IT TAKES YOU TO DRAW THE PISTOL AND CHAMBER A ROUND YOU COULD DIE.

It's that simple. Not having a round available right then could get you killed. Therefore, it is best to carry with a round chambered.

"But you haven't seen how fast I can rack the slide," some will say, "I practice that constantly and can get the pistol into action very fast."

Well and good. I tell you what, in fact: I'll act like I'm bolstering your argument. The Israelis teach some pistol techniques that integrate the chambering process into the presentation. They can and do perform it remarkably quickly.

You should not. You should carry a modern-design pistol in a good holster with a round in the chamber. And here's how to prove it:

Take these three tests. If you can, do the first two with an Airsoft replica pistol that operates like your carry pistol or at least a modern firearm, and an opponent with a rubber/practice knife. The last test can be, and probably should be, taken with your actual carry weapon.

1. "Attacker" with knife starts not more than 25 feet away from you, and will initiate the test by charging at you with the knife. Draw, chamber, and fire at least one, preferably two, disabling shots before they can hit you with the knife. You are allowed to dodge, retreat, or otherwise move around as you do this.

2. "Attacker" with knife starts not more than six feet away, and initiates the test by attacking. You must avoid a crippling or killing cut or thrust in any way you see fit, but must end the attack by drawing, chambering, and firing your pistol, scoring at least one good hit.

3. Put what is normally your support or off-hand in a sling. At the signal, draw, chamber, and fire one round without using the immobilized hand in any way.

If you successfully avoid major damage in the attack tests and can operate the pistol one-handed in test three, then you are better than I am and I wish you well. You may indeed be okay without a round in the chamber. I still think you should have one ready, though.

In general, though, modern designs incorporate a number of mechanisms both inside and outside who's sole purpose in life is to keep the hammer away from the firing pin until you decide you want them to meet.

You can demonstrate that to yourself with a simple exercise: Unload the weapon, check that you've unloaded the weapon, and then check that there isn't any live ammunition in the weapon. Then, rack the slide to engage the hammer. If the pistol has external safeties, set them and put the weapon in your normal holster wherever you intend to carry it on your body; if there are no external safeties, just holster the weapon.

Now, exercise yourself. Do something physical, work around the house, bend and twist, stretch and lift, run and jump, do yoga or Pilates, whatever--just move around. If you want, you can even hit yourself around and on the holster as a further test. My bet is that the gun won't trigger, you won't hear the "click" of the hammer falling, and that when you're ready you will be able to remove the weapon from the holster, point it in a safe direction, pull the trigger, and hear the "click". And that will only happen when you are ready for it, and not before.

(Let me also recognize that no production of man is perfect or without error in all instances. So if you perform this test and do at some point hear the hammer fall, or see that the pistol has triggered itself without your doing, then check your placement and trigger cover and repeat the test, preferably twice more. If you get another "click", the get the gun to it's manufacturer for immediate repair or replacement!!)

"Did YOU see 9/11 coming, I didn't think so, do you KNOW who caused it, no you don't, so keep being blissfully ignorant and stay out of my way, and you just might make it out alive" Robert Donald Carter

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Re: 1 in the chamber, or not (pls read 1st post)

I am a firm supporter of carrying with 1 in the chamber. It's just my opinion, but, I'm opinionated.

If anything, having one in the chamber for home defense is more important than when just carrying.

When I' out and about, I'm watching everyone, paying attention to their movements, and knowing where they are. I'm looking ahead for any potential threats that I can either avoid or head off.

When I'm at home, I am in my "safe area". Right or wrong, I expect some of the protection to come from barriers. I need to be alerted to the threat instead of noticing it before it happens.

Furthermore, if someone enters my "safe area" without my permission, I do not have the same requirements placed upon me. Society has in it's infinite wisdom determined that threats out and about need to be retreated from if at all possible. In home defense situations, nobody is using forcible entry to cook you dinner. They have already displayed hostile intent by forcing their way into your safe area.

The first warning that occupants of that safe area are able to defend themselves should not be the sound of a slide racking, it should be acute lead poisoning. BG's were already warned that the people inside do not want to give away their possessions or their lives, it's called a locked door.

all

Off goes the head of the king, and tyranny gives way to freedom. The change seems abysmal. Then, bit by bit, the face of freedom hardens, and by and by it is the old face of tyranny. Then another cycle, and another. But under the play of all these opposites there is something fundamental and permanent — the basic delusion that men may be governed and yet be free.

--H.L. Mencken

Extreme positions are not succeeded by moderate ones, but by contrary extreme positions.
--Friedrich Nietzsche

Old 09-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
Stryder302

Well before I sent my Kel-Tec in to the shop for the next month or so, I was carrying it around with a round chambered all the time and it doesn't have a safety. The trigger is harder than snot to pull though. When I am carrying my C9 I tend to not chamber it because the safety is disengaged way to easily, and the trigger is way to touchy. I just don't feel safe with it carrying a hollow point in the tube. I also don't carry my Lorcin 25 chambered because lets face it, it's a piece of crap.

"Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting."

Old 09-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
juan-a-be

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Always have one in the pipe.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Well before I sent my Kel-Tec in to the shop for the next month or so, I was carrying it around with a round chambered all the time and it doesn't have a safety. The trigger is harder than snot to pull though. When I am carrying my C9 I tend to not chamber it because the safety is disengaged way to easily, and the trigger is way to touchy. I just don't feel safe with it carrying a hollow point in the tube. I also don't carry my Lorcin 25 chambered because lets face it, it's a piece of crap.
You don't need me to agree with ya, right?

all

Off goes the head of the king, and tyranny gives way to freedom. The change seems abysmal. Then, bit by bit, the face of freedom hardens, and by and by it is the old face of tyranny. Then another cycle, and another. But under the play of all these opposites there is something fundamental and permanent — the basic delusion that men may be governed and yet be free.

--H.L. Mencken

Extreme positions are not succeeded by moderate ones, but by contrary extreme positions.
--Friedrich Nietzsche

Old 09-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
westcoastal

always one in the hole ..
i carry bursa's for that reason ...
handy little decocker right there on the side ...
slide it down as i draw ...

Old 09-02-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
mikana

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

carter9

I completely agree with you. one in the chamber is the way to go. Your 2nd test is a great example of why. If you are engaged, defending yourself from an attack, at least one of your hands will be tied up. It's nearly impossible to rack a slide during a fight while one of your hands is occupied defending yourself. Also, before anybody jumps in with the "situational awareness" line, there's no such thing as 100% no holes, 360 degree situational awareness. Don't bother bringing it up. You can do well, but you can't do 100/360. Can't be done.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
Sharpshotter

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via MSN to Sharpshotter

In 20+ years of LE we always carried one chambered...........................but..........i t was not a Hi-Point.....I think was the originial question here................several threads ago..........with HP its a little different

One old single barrel,nonfunctional, shotgun

My home is protected by the good Lord & a gun...you will meet them both if you show up unwelcome son

duckfoot36 Likes This 
Old 09-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
ajole
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3105 Times on 2224 Posts
Likes Given: 2909

carter you are absolutely right...but oh so wrong.

Because of this.
\

Quote:
IN THE TIME IT TAKES YOU TO DRAW THE PISTOL AND CHAMBER A ROUND YOU COULD DIE.
Well yeah. And you could die in seconds as a result of a blowout while driving 65 mph, or an inattentive driver as you cross a parking lot, or even being struck by lightning, or any of a million other things...but being shot is FAR less likely than most of those other things, so really, there literally IS no "need" to carry condition 1, until you deal with those threats first.

test 1. "Idiot" Load your pistol, rack the slide, point it at your leg, and pull the trigger. If you actually did it and got shot, you should not carry Condition 1. Thank goodness, I passed that one, so I could if I wanted.

test 2. "Invasion" Lock your door just like you do most days. When you hear someone break it down, or burst through a window, draw, rack and prepare to fire. Count how many seconds pass before the attacker finds you, since you aren't sitting in front of the door, or even on the ground floor. If it is more than 1, you didn't need to carry Con 1.

test 3. "Local living conditions" Check your local news. If no one has been shot in the past 6 months to 6 years without provocation or in a robbery or shootout, the need to carry condition 1 is pretty low...find something better to worry about.

Sorry man, but your reality simply isn't mine.

He who smiles last....

......................thinks slowest.

Q

Not anything to do with me,...but SWAGA referred me to it...and it is pretty funny: The Ballad of Ajole
17 HP's and counting.
Solon Likes This 
Old 09-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
rickyg73

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i never have and probably never will carry with round chambered, i am not worried one bit either as years of practice has made my draw and load very quick, at 25 feet.. not worried, just drawing the gun might send attacker away, from 6 feet, good luck even if your loaded, by the time you draw you might already be stabbed... now if i had hand in a sling.. i might carry chambered for that time only

Quick Reply