Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > CCW & Open Carry > Concealed-carry law passes Iowa Senate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 03:09 AM   #1
nate_p
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Concealed-carry law passes Iowa Senate

For you Iowa folks....

DES MOINES — Iowa would become a “shall issue” state and sheriffs would lose much of their discretion in denying concealed weapons permits under legislation approved by the Senate Saturday.

Senate File 2379, adopted 44-4, would create uniform standards in all 99 counties for issuing permits to carry a concealed weapon in public. Under current law, sheriffs can issue or deny permits. There standards vary with some issuing permits to nearly everyone who applies and some denying nearly all applications. Nearly 35,000 Iowans have concealed carry permits, according to lawmakers.

Floor manager Sen. Keith Kreiman, D-Bloomfield, said the bill advances “the cause of the Second Amendment, the cause of public safety.”

He defended the permit process, saying the Second Amendment right to bear arms carries responsibilities. People who enjoy hunting and other shooting sports “understand the personal responsibilities inherent in exercising Second Amendment rights.”

“Public safety is rarely jeopardized by those who legally carry and acquire weapons,” Kreiman said. “It will be even more rarely jeopardized with the requirement that all permit holders receive training.”

The bill is one of four “must-do” bills on the House agenda, Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, D-Des Moines, said.

Rep. Clel Baudler, R-Greenfield, who has been working on the issue for 12 years, called standardization of 99 sets of rules a “fairness issue.”

“This strikes a good balance between fairness, public safety and the Constitution,” he said.

House leaders say they expect to have more than enough votes to approve the measure. Some liberal Democrats reportedly have threatened to vote against final budget measures if the “shall issue” bill is approved.

The bill had the backing of the NRA, Gun Owners of America, Izaak Walton League and Iowa Carry Inc. The Iowa Police Executive Forum, League of Women Voters, Iowa Gun Owners, Teamsters Local 238, State Police Officers Council, Iowa State Sheriffs’ and Deputies’ Association and Iowa Association of Chiefs of Police and Peace Officers all opposed the measure. The Iowa Attorney General and Department of Public Safety were undecided.

Under the bill, Iowans who need to carry a gun for their job could get a permit starting at 18. Otherwise, applicants would have to be 21 to get a nonprofessional permit. Permits could be denied for alcohol addiction or probable cause based on documentation of past actions that an applicant might use a weapon in a way to endanger himself, others or the public safety. Anyone convicted of misdemeanor assault within the prior three years could be denied a permit. Several other federal and state disqualifiers apply.

The permit fee would increase from $10 to $50 for five years with a $25 renewal fee. Although training would be required to obtain a permit, permit holders could qualify on a firing range to renew their permits.

That wasn’t often enough for Sen. Steve Sodders, D-State Center, a deputy sheriff. He wanted to require annual training, the same as is required of law enforcement.

SF 2379 also allows residents of other states with valid permits to carry concealed weapons in Iowa.

A person denied a permit by a sheriff could appeal through an administrative law process and district court.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 03:46 AM   #2
writerinmo

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Re: Concealed-carry law passes Iowa Senate

Wonder what the guvner's stance is on this?

http://elby.yolasite.com/ mosin sight tools

“There are currently 37/38 states that are currently “shall issue” states. They also said they saw reductions in their violent crime rates, significant declines, because nobody wants to go duck hunting when five percent of the ducks can shoot back.”

Old 03-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
theqbn

Cool!

Old 03-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It would be great if they gained reciprocity with Nebraska. I'd like to be legal in Council Bluffs.

Off goes the head of the king, and tyranny gives way to freedom. The change seems abysmal. Then, bit by bit, the face of freedom hardens, and by and by it is the old face of tyranny. Then another cycle, and another. But under the play of all these opposites there is something fundamental and permanent — the basic delusion that men may be governed and yet be free.

--H.L. Mencken

Extreme positions are not succeeded by moderate ones, but by contrary extreme positions.
--Friedrich Nietzsche

Old 03-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
erik316

Send a message via MSN to erik316

From what I have read it passed the house today in a wide margin and the Gov is expected to sign it. I know it is like missouri, it will accept all carry permits from every state. I just got my PA out of state permit so being from illinois I know if i dirve 30 minutes west i can carry.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:14 PM   #6
Super_Virgil

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Send a message via AIM to Super_Virgil Send a message via Yahoo to Super_Virgil

Good, I can visit Iowa again.

Sv

Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.
Optimus Prime

You can find me at Pioneer Gun Club. Kansas city's only comprehensive gun club www.pioneergunclub.org

Old 03-30-2010, 12:36 AM   #7
BigSwede

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Nate_P:

Thank you for taking the time to research this, and to post the results! I had been trying to follow this up on the Iowa legislature's website, but had little luck.

I'm glad the state is finally trying to be consistent with other states' concealed-carry laws and have reciprocity with other states. I probably will not apply for the CC permit, (don't feel I have the need.) But that can change.

Again thanks for your work.

Ed

Old 03-30-2010, 01:23 AM   #8
nate_p

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
From what I have read it passed the house today in a wide margin and the Gov is expected to sign it. I know it is like missouri, it will accept all carry permits from every state. I just got my PA out of state permit so being from illinois I know if i dirve 30 minutes west i can carry.

I hope this is the case. Ill be getting my non res permit ASAP and i can go 5 min across the river and be able to carry. I just hope IL follows soon enough...

And Ed, no problem at all.

EDIT: According to the forums on www.iowacarry.org it passed. Its up to the Gov to sign.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:35 AM   #9
rebel0994

Send a message via AIM to rebel0994 Send a message via Yahoo to rebel0994

Great I can come to Iowa now!

HP995,
Hi Point 4095 Carbine User

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.", Machiavelli
GeorgiaCarry.org Member

Old 04-03-2010, 05:27 AM   #10
MountainGator

Great, I now have another route available to travel MT/FL. Iowa businesses will make some money off of our gas, food & lodging.

NRA - MSSA - Retired US Army
NRA Certified Instructor

Quick Reply