You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Hipointfirearmsforums.com    

Hipoint Firearms Forums > Archive > Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009) >

Las Vegas Hi-Point Search - Dealers bashing, too

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2008, 01:05 AM   #1
Parrothead

Default Las Vegas Hi-Point Search - Dealers bashing, too

OK, I just posted this over at the forums on Gun and Game, but I figure the Hi-Point forum members might be able to help me and might be interested in this, too.

Quote:
I've owned a .22 rifle for many years and have recently purchased an AK-47 and a Steyr M95. All three are fun, but I've recently decided I want a handgun for various reasons.

Aside from informal target shooting, I'd like to get a CCW permit if for no other reason than not having to pay $25 for a background check each time I buy a gun I figure it's also not a bad idea to have a handgun on my hip when out in the middle of nowhere - you never know who or what you'll find out in the desert! Last, but not least, a handgun would serve me well in the home defense role until I buy a shotgun at a later date. Home defense isn't my major concern at this time, but it would be nice to have something that's better than my .22 and not as over penetrating as the 7.62x39 in the AK or the 8.56R from the Steyr

After much research into handguns and much research into funding, I have decided that I want to purchase a brand new Hi-Point handgun in either 9mm or .40 S&W. The vast majority of people who own them say that while they look like they fell out of an ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down and are big and heavy, they are reliable and reasonably accurate. Hi-Point owners also nearly universally praise the lifetime warranty (of the gun) and Hi-Point's willingness to fix anything no matter who's fault it was.

Since I'm not buying a handgun for looks (no gold and diamond studded .45 this time ), I don't care if it's ugly. Since I'm not planning to use it for concealed carry, I don't care if it's big or heavy.

I've also read numerous posts by people who usually haven't owned or fired one who look down on Hi-Points as "junk guns" or "Saturday Night Specials." There seems to be a thought process that if it only costs <$200 it's no good.

All of this just makes me want one more ! I like quirky things and finding stuff out for myself. I figure it goes along with my old Polaroid peel-apart pack film cameras and my twin lens reflex camera and will probably work just as well

I only have one problem - finding one for sale closer than 60 miles away. The Ace Hardware up in Overton (70 miles away) has 9mm and .380s in stock. Emmalee's Guns in Pahrump (60 miles away) has one .40 in stock which may be gone before the weekend is up. I'm leaning towards the .40 if it's still there next weekend as Pahrump is in Nye County and doesn't have the three day "cooling off" period for someone's first pistol. I don't get paid until Tuesday and Emmalee's is only open Friday through Sunday, so I'm hoping it's still there next weekend!

I checked with just about everyone I can think of here in Las Vegas and I can't find anyone that carries Hi-Point or is even WILLING TO ORDER THEM One gun store said that they will not special order Hi-Point because they think they're low quality, but the guy on the phone said that he'd owned one in the past, but it was the store's policy.

I also called a certain pawn shop here in Las Vegas that advertises on its website that special orders are welcome, use their distributor or yours, cost+10% for cash etc. They have all sorts of language on the site about how great the Second Amendment is and how they love guns, too. When I called them I explained about not wanting to spend the gas and time to get to Overton or Pahrump. The guy on the phone initially said no problem, but then after asking about the time frame to get the gun to the store, he'd changed his tune. After asking me why I wanted it (good reviews from owners and magazines, warranty, just for general plinking) and trying to persuade me that a Hi-Point is too heavy and too big, he tried to persuade me to order one via an online auction site and have them do the transfer for $20. I objected because it would add $20 to the price of the gun for the transfer and another $20 to $40 for shipping and that gas to Overton or Pahrump would be cheaper. I asked again about ordering it through them and the guy finally came out and said that they WOULD NOT order one because it's "cheap junk" and "we don't carry Ravens or Jennings, either." I brought up the website that says they do special orders and that there's no restrictions listed, he said, "I guess we'll have to change the website," and indicated that they don't care how much business they lose. I won't name the pawn shop :removed by the author due to a change of opinion and to protect the pawn shop:.

I think it's false advertising and seeing as how I get free legal advice through the employee assistance program at work, I'm looking into legal options. EDIT: No longer looking into legal options - that was a stupid idea.

For those who have stuck around this long, thanks for reading the whole thing . I just had to vent and I figured this was the place to do it about this subject

If anyone knows where I can get a Hi-Point here in Las Vegas or closer than Pahrump or Overton, please let me know. Otherwise it looks like I'll be heading on over to Pahrump next weekend assuming the .40's still there.

EDIT: For those who think I was a bonehead for considering a lawsuit, you're right. I was. As you'll see if you read further in this thread, I've come around in my thinking and feel embarrassed for being such a moron. I just wanted to save everyone who was thinking of replying with those thoughts some time and let y'all know it up front.
Last edited by Parrothead; Today at 12:27 AM. Reason: Adding info to save others time and removing stupid stuff
So, that's about it. I've found two places that have 'em but they're far away and I'd prefer not to have to drive that far if I don't have to. I'd really appreciate it if anyone here could point me to a closer source.

That said, I think I'll still make the effort at some point in time to go out to Emmalee's in Pahrump ( website link ) and buy a gun. It's a mom and pop shop that's only open Friday through Sunday from 9-5 and Bonnie (the owner) was one of the nicest people I've ever spoken to on the phone. She says the store is named after her daughter and granddaughter 8) She also had nothing but good to say about Hi-Point! Apparently, a relative of the owner of Hi-Point lives out in Pahrump, so Hi-Point sends at least one of everything new to their relative using Emmalee's for the transfer. She also said that she's only had to send three guns back to Hi-Point, one of which was accidentally run over with a truck after its owner left it on the hood when he drove off after shooting in the desert. She sent the pieces back to the factory and they (as I've read is usual) replaced it free of charge :mrgreen: ! I also got added to the phone list for notifications of new Hi-Points in stock - it seems they're tough to get through the distributor.

I forgot to mention that the 9mm in Overton is $120 (C-9) and the .40 in Pahrump is $170. No matter where I go, I'm pretty much leaning towards the .40 for it's 4.5 inch barrel or the C9COMP for the 4" barrel - I'd have to do some real looking for the C9COMP.

One thing that I touched earlier was that Clark County 3 day wait to pick up your first handgun. Normally, I wouldn't really have that much of a problem with it, but it would be a big pain when buying the 9mm in Overton - one 140 mile round trip to do the background check and another 140 mile round trip to pick up the gun. 280 miles at 30 miles per gallon comes out to about $30 in gas and 2.5 to 3 hours drive for each round trip. If I go out to Pahrump, it's a single 120 mile round trip (Nye County doesn't have a waiting period) which is only about $12 in gas and 2 hours round trip.

Thanks for reading this book and thanks in advance for your replies 8) !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2008, 01:48 AM   #2
NDS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I bought my 995 at:

National Survival Store
4663 Spring Mountain Rd
Las Vegas, NV 89102
(702) 871-7795

They are only open 4 days a week as I recall. Be forewarned though--this place is 'different'

As for your problems with Bargain Pawn, I've had many dealings with them and have always been satisfied. They have had the carbines in the past. I have never seen a Hi-Point pistol there though. I'd be very interested in the details of your conversation because nobody there has ever acting in the fashion you describe while I was present.

Good luck with your search.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:23 AM   #3
lakota169

Bud's Guns has a .40 for $160 delivered.

CAUTION: Detroit may be hazardous to your health.

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/LAKOTA169/Photo%20Images/?start=all

Old 04-13-2008, 05:30 AM   #4
bobm

Parrothead,
I have a 40 S&W, a 9MM, and a 380 sitting in a locker collecting dust.
PM me, I'll give you a decent price. Just meet me at the local Metro substation, pay me, walk inside and register the one or ones you want in your name and get the new blue cards.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:44 AM   #5
4095fanatic

You have registration for FTF? Ya'll need to move .

Old 04-13-2008, 08:11 AM   #6
Parrothead

First off, I'll be sending PMs to both NDS and bobm in just a short time. I just wanted to post a reply to this thread first

I'd like to send out a BIG THANK YOU to everyone who replied 8) I'm a member on several other boards about different things and I know it takes time to reply to stuff

After time to think, de-stress from the week at work, and calm down, I re-read my post over on Gun and Game and realized I was being a moron for thinking about involving lawyers in this . Then I read the other posts and realized that I was still in error about just how big of an ignoramus I had shown myself to be and replied to everyone that yes, they were right. Out of Lawyers, guns, and money (gotta refer to one of my favorite songs here :P !), I'll take the last two :lol: !

NDS - Thanks for the info on National Survival Store! I checked them out via the web and reviews based on your post. Even if I don't buy a gun from them, it still sounds like an interesting place to check out

lakota169 - Thanks for the info! I'll keep Bob's filed away in my memory banks for future reference, but I think I'm going to take bobm up on his offer :wink:

bobm - Expect a PM SOON :mrgreen: !!!!!

4095fanatic - Thanks for the reply Nice username - I'll be buying Dad a 4095 before the year is out 8)

About the registration - Yeah, it sucks, but it is what it is. Clark County is the only place with any registration of any firearm in the state of Nevada and it managed to get this carried over in the new Nevada firearms preemption law that took the power of firearms legislation away from anyone but the state. Any handgun owned by a resident of Clark County must be registered with Las Vegas Metro PD within 72 hours of the owner taking possession. Tourists and visitors with handguns who stay in Clark County less than (I think) 60 days do not have to register their handguns. Also, there is a 72 hour "cooling off" period on the first purchase of a handgun when that purchase is made from a licensed dealer. A second purchase (take the "blue card" registration card for your first handgun with you) or a first purchase of a handgun from a private party are not subject to any waiting period and the purchaser may take possession at the time of sale. There's also a $25 fee charged by Nevada for background checks before firearms purchases through dealers. There is no background check needed for a private party sale, nor is a background check needed for a purchase through a dealer if the purchaser has a CCW permit.

Like I said, it sucks. But it sure sucks a whole lot less than if I were still living in California :twisted: !!!

Have a great night 8) !

Old 04-13-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
4095fanatic

No problem, we try and stay on the ball in this forum: probably the quickest replies even if it isn't one of the larger forums. I'd get all 3 while ya can; supply keeps shrinking as demand goes up . And don't forget, you can have all 3 sent to HP for inspection if you want to make sure they're in 100% condition before you take 'em out (not saying bobm didn't take care of them, but if they've been sitting around for a while they might need some parts updated too).

Frankly, I'd also move because imagine if a disaster happens in your area; not only would confiscation occur, but they'd know exactly where to look .

Old 04-13-2008, 06:43 PM   #8
gabriel c.

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i would love to try out the .40 but i cant even find another c9 around here, and as the price ammo keeps going up (even at wal-mart) 9mm is till cheaper to take out to the desert.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:02 PM   #9
Parrothead

4095fanatic - Thanks! I'll probably take 'em out and shoot 'em a bit, but they'll go back to Hi-Point for a nice inspection, cleaning, and overhaul before too long :wink:

I hear ya on the confiscation bit - it's why I don't like registration myself. The nice thing for me is that I'll probably be headed out of town pretty quickly and if not, well, then there's always the possibility (not that I would do this) of having lost the pistol in the desert or Lake Mead recently and forgetting to report it. It could be on loan to a friend or relative out of state.

Even with all that, they still don't know where the long guns are and knowing the people around here, they'd probably have a problem getting anyone to give up any gun by any means other than force. Basically, I'll probably move sometime in the future, but I'm OK with the situation here and now.

gabriel c. - I've shot Dad's S&W 4006 and I'd have to say I like it a lot. Of course, I've also shot his 1006 along with my brother's 915, Sig P226, and .45 SIG and I like them all, too. What ought to be really fun and interesting is trying out a Hi-Point 8) !

I see you're down in the West Texas Town of El Paso (queue Marty Robbins :P ), so I don't know where you'd fine 'em. Have you tried the Hi-Point Dealer Locater for Texas ( link)
? If that doesn't work, I'd probably go with Bud's Guns as suggested earlier at $160 delivered.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:11 AM   #10
gabriel c.

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i do have a dealer ( el paso gun exchange) they just say they are just getting harder to get in, and when they do come in they sell that same day or the next. i just have to be on my toes and snatch me one.

Quick Reply