Hipoint Firearms Forums > Archive > Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009) > Llama Mini Max Sub Compact .45 ACP pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #1
WVHunter129
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Send a message via AIM to WVHunter129 Send a message via Yahoo to WVHunter129
Default Llama Mini Max Sub Compact .45 ACP pistol

Well I got it!!

I am the proud owner of a Llama Mini Max Sub Compact .45 ACP pistol. It has a double stack/staggered magazine (whatever you want to call it). It holds 10 rounds of .45 ACP bullets but I was only able to put 8 Remington 230 grn hollow points in the magazine. It could be that it just has a stiff spring or something. I took the magazine apart and the spring looks new for the age of the pistol. Maybe it just needs to be fully loaded and let set for awhile.

The shop where I got it wanted $369 plus tax and I got it for $300 out the door.

I have completely disassembled it and gave it a good going over and cleaning.

Here are pictures of my Llama Mini Max Sub Compact 45 ACP.

Went out riding my ATV this afternoon and shot the 45 while out riding. Ran 8 rounds through it and had 2 FTF's. I was using Remington 230 gr JHP's. I believe the feed issues was with the JHP catching on the feed ramp. I noticed that it looks like a two piece feed ramp. The feed ramp in the frame and a feed ramp on the barrel/chamber. Also noticed that the barrel moves forward and backward just a bit. When the barrel is fully forward the seam of where the two feed ramps meet are smooth...my finger nail goes across it smoothly...but if the barrel moves back just a smug then you can feel the seam. I don't know if the barrel is suppose to move a little or not. This is my first 1911 style pistol.

I may need to do some polishing or possibly just use FMJ's instead of JHP's in the Llama.

It shot good though even with the 2 FTF's, once passed that it cycled 4 rounds one right after the other.

Now the decision comes on which to carry...the Llama 45 or the Hi-Point 9mm. I have been carrying the Hi-Point. Haven't really had an issue due to the size of the Hi-Point, especially using the Fobus paddle holster, and I haven't had any FTF or FTE from the Hi-Point. Done shot over 150 rounds through the 9mm, both FMJ and HP's.

I like the Llama due to it being a sub compact. Was wondering how much recoil I would get from a pistol of such small size, not that I can't handle it, was just curious. After shooting it there wasn't much recoil at all...not that I couldn't handle.

Just curious if Fobus makes a paddle holster that will hold a Llama Mini Max Sub Compact 45?? Anyone know?

Also want to get at least one (1) more magazine. Anyone know a site that sells them or one that may work that isn't a Llama? I had heard that the PARA Warthog mag would work but don't know 100%.

WVHunter129
Aim small...miss small
Chinese 7.62x39 SKS, 30-06 Remington 700 ADL, 30-06 Remington 742 BDL, 30-06 Remington 760 BDL, 8x57 German Mauser (K98), 9mm Hi-Point C9, Ruger 357/38 Blackhawk, Llama MiniMax Sub Compact 45 ACP, .50 Traditions blackpowder, 22 lr Norinco JW-15, Remington 552 ADL 22 lr, Ruger 10/22, 12 ga Remington 1100, 12ga Remington 870 shotgun

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply