Hipoint Firearms Forums > Archive > Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009) > Muzzleloader for long term survival?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2008, 05:54 AM   #1
rimfirehunter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Send a message via AIM to rimfirehunter Send a message via Yahoo to rimfirehunter
Default Muzzleloader for long term survival?

Has anyone here put back a muzzleloading rifle, with necessary supplies, as part of your long term survival planning?

Some years back I came across an article about long term survival planning. Several items mentioned in the firearms section was a quality air rifle with lots of pellets and a muzzleloader with plenty of supplies and molds for casting yer own bullets. The recommended gun was a flintlock instead of cap lock or inline because just like ammunition the percussions caps and primers may one day cease to be available for purchase.

At present time I do not have a flint lock, but I do have a few sidelock Hawken style rifles that use #11 percussion caps. One is a .32cal small game rifle and the other two are .45 and .50cal rifles that are good for larger game. My next ML rifle will be a flinter and in either .36 or .40cal, these will make good small game calibers when using round ball and light charges or close in deer guns when using conicals and heavier charges.

Flints can be found in nature through the entire US, so keeping something to light the powder in the frizzen pan wont be a problem. As far as powder, well stock as much as you can and do some internet searches on old time powder making recipe's..... PLEASE, DO NOT POST THAT INFO ON THIS FORUM....

Ok... now how many folks have or plan to have a muzzleloader included in their long term survival plans?

HPFF Member since March 2006

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 06:38 AM   #2
Ari

Not really.... Well I do have an old singe shot cap and ball 45 cal. I have a bunch of powder/caps and a few 100 mini balls for it. (450gr) It would sure hit someone or something hard if they ever got shot by it...

Old 02-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
RU Krazy

They are great for streching your fixed ammo supply. Great for foraging.

They are also easy to build with less than perfect tooling.

There is a company called Corbin Machine Tool that makes a device called a Tap-o-Cap so you can make your own #11 caps.

You can also chuck a percussion nipple in an electric drill and spin it down with a file until those plactic ring caps will fit.

You can also flattern wheel weights and chop them into square shot.

There are a lot of alternate powder choices for BP guns too. The traditional sulphur/charcoal/salt peter mix is not actually a necessity.

Improvised gun, improvised powder, improvised shot.

EDITED BY Z71: We do not Condone Murder at HPFF

Old 02-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
dukenukum

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default survival muzzle loaader

yep gonna need the old smoke poles fer foraging and hunting .
as long as b.p is kept dry and cool it will last a long time there was an article
in muzzle blasts magazine a few years back about powder from the 20's and 30's that was still as good as new .cartridge guns is fer fighting in the p . a. w

my other car is a rocket
Trust in GOD and the Mauser

Old 02-12-2008, 06:59 PM   #5
Kelotravolski

Quote:
Improvised gun, improvised powder, improvised shot:
::EDITED::
Woah now... I did not know we were talking about killing random people for stuff... Remind me not to go where you are.

Would homemade black powder really work to fire a gun? I would be worried about making a pipe bomb and then raising it up to my face...
:shock:

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." -Admiral Yamamoto

Old 02-12-2008, 07:08 PM   #6
Fenix

Quote:
Quote:
Improvised gun, improvised powder, improvised shot: ::EDITED::
Woah now... I did not know we were talking about killing random people for stuff... Remind me not to go where you are.

Would homemade black powder really work to fire a gun? I would be worried about making a pipe bomb and then raising it up to my face...
:shock:
He talks like that all the time on the urban warrior forum.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #7
big Jim T

Send a message via Yahoo to big Jim T

yea i got a muzzle loader and supplys for it just in case, along with my lother guns. hey you never know what will be needed to get you by.

God, family, and guns are the things I believe in.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:07 PM   #8
rimfirehunter

Send a message via AIM to rimfirehunter Send a message via Yahoo to rimfirehunter

I really enjoy shooting muzzleloaders as a hobby, also use them for hunting too. I got to thinking that the ML would make a decent hunting setup for long term survival needs because it would allow you to hunt with a firearm and preserve you precious cartridge ammo, and firearms, for other task.

Another reason for keeping a muzzleloader around is you never know what the political system will do with modern firearms in the future. At least with a muzzleloader you still have a way to harvest/forage for wild game if the need arises.

HPFF Member since March 2006

Old 02-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #9
PrimalSeal

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Send a message via AIM to PrimalSeal Send a message via Yahoo to PrimalSeal

I have 2 .50 Cal muzzleloaders and I would also like to get into some muzzleloading shotguns as well. I have a friend in Alamogordo that does mountain man reinactments and he uses several ML shotties. His turkey gun is a side by side double barrel 10 guage. That gun is a hoss! Another thing about ML's is that they are usually heavy as hell, which reduces recoil, but is not as good for carrying it around. All in all, ML weapons do have a place in SHTF situations. The only downside about a ML is the fact that the big plume of smoke will give away your position during the day if you are using it as a SD/HD weapon. They don't call them smoke poles for no reason.

C'mon Hobbes, if you lend me a buck, I'll buy you a comic book. ~Calvin

I got a fever and the only prescription, is MORE COWBELL!!!! ~Bruce Dickenson

HMFIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Primal Seal- He killed a bear once, with his bare hands. Then he ate it, raw. He looks a lot like that actor, Berry Pepper.
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough. ~ godlessdustin

Old 02-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #10
Fenix

There's another option that would work just as effectively as a muzzleloader in a survival situation, be more ammo conservative, and quieter too:

Best part is you could get all 3 for the price of a good muzzle loader.

Quick Reply