Hipoint Firearms Forums > Archive > Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009) > Ruger 10/22 and powderless ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2007, 05:21 AM   #1
jason865

Default Ruger 10/22 and powderless ammo

Well, when you work from home you eventually begin finding ways to fill your day when it is slow. I picked up some of the aguilla cailibri powderless .22 rounds from my local gun store. It stinks that you have to load them manually because they wont cycle a semi auto, but it is a small price to pay for being able to shooting in areas without a lot of space. I got a large box, and basically layered it with about 20 layers of cardboard and newspaper until it was completely packed and use that to put my targets on. Now, with all that being said, I live in a rural area where it is completely legal to shoot any firearm in my back yard. I just like the fact that the powderless ammo has a very low muzzle velocity of 500 fps. I wouldnt recomend anyone shooting in an area where it is not legal to do so.

Anyway, I had a bunch of time to kill this week. So I decided to get out one afternoon with the ruger in the back yard. I have been having some trouble getting good groupings. Not because of the firearm, I just honestly needed more practice. Alhtough still not perfect, I dont think this attempt a was too bad. It is either 10 or 11 rounds at about 20 yards. (I lost count and fired one more to make sure I had a ten) Completely stock, with standard sights. I really didnt expect the ammo to be able to hold good groups anyway, but it did better than I thought it would. I still have two little guys that wanted to wonder, but hopefully next time will be a bit better. Target is 8.5" x 11".

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2007, 05:25 AM   #2
jason865

Oh yea, and one more disclaimer. That ammo is not made to be shot through a rifle. Due to low velocity there is an increased chance of having a round stuck in the barrel. If you use this ammo in a rifle, which is not recomended, then have the common sense to make sure the last bullet came out before firing another one.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:26 AM   #3
PrimalSeal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Send a message via AIM to PrimalSeal Send a message via Yahoo to PrimalSeal

Nice shooting! I didn't know powderless ammo could group like that.

C'mon Hobbes, if you lend me a buck, I'll buy you a comic book. ~Calvin

I got a fever and the only prescription, is MORE COWBELL!!!! ~Bruce Dickenson

HMFIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Primal Seal- He killed a bear once, with his bare hands. Then he ate it, raw. He looks a lot like that actor, Berry Pepper.
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough. ~ godlessdustin

Old 11-11-2007, 01:14 AM   #4
rimfirehunter

Send a message via AIM to rimfirehunter Send a message via Yahoo to rimfirehunter

I have been using the Aguila Super Colibri's for about 7-8 years now and its one of my favorite rounds in a standard .22lr. I find it works best in my Savage MkII mag fed bolt rifle, it feeds just fine and is accurate enough to take squirrel out to 20 yards. Living inside town limits I am not able to enjoy backyard shooting with the ammo, but if I lived out of town I would probably shoot a couple bricks of this stuff a month.

One word of advice on using the Super Colibri's in a rifle length barrel. Make darn sure your barrel is clean, not leaded and not rusty before using this ammo. Also make sure you hit the target and if in doubt check the bore with a cleaning rod and make sure you dont have a bullet stuck in the bore. I had it happen on two older rifles with lightly leaded bores, now I make darn sure my bores are clean and the rounds exit the barrel after each round is fired.

rimfirehunter

HPFF Member since March 2006

Old 11-11-2007, 01:48 AM   #5
Ari

I shoot it all the time in the backyard. There is a guy up the street who takes birds with it in his orchard. It does not spook the folks who live around his orchard...

Old 11-27-2007, 01:29 AM   #6
SHOOTER Z

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I have been using the Aguila Super Colibri's for about 7-8 years now and its one of my favorite rounds in a standard .22lr. I find it works best in my Savage MkII mag fed bolt rifle, it feeds just fine and is accurate enough to take squirrel out to 20 yards. Living inside town limits I am not able to enjoy backyard shooting with the ammo, but if I lived out of town I would probably shoot a couple bricks of this stuff a month.

One word of advice on using the Super Colibri's in a rifle length barrel. Make darn sure your barrel is clean, not leaded and not rusty before using this ammo. Also make sure you hit the target and if in doubt check the bore with a cleaning rod and make sure you dont have a bullet stuck in the bore. I had it happen on two older rifles with lightly leaded bores, now I make darn sure my bores are clean and the rounds exit the barrel after each round is fired.

rimfirehunter
Same here what I like best using a bolt action with them you can easily remove the bolt and check the barrel after every shot :lol:

Old 11-27-2007, 01:43 AM   #7
Ari

I was going to add: the first time I saw this ammo I saw it shot in the gun stop. They had a stump in the back room. No one was there and they opened the door to the back room at took a shot at the stump from the front counter. That sold me LOL

Old 11-27-2007, 02:08 AM   #8
JasonJ

so not having any powder.. that means this is uber super quiet yes?

like almost not audible since its just primer projecting the bullet?

~Jason
Hi-Point JHP45
Hi-Point 995 Carbine
Browning BuckMark 22
1939 Mosin-Nagant M91/30

Old 11-27-2007, 02:59 AM   #9
NDS

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I used to shoot these indoors into a cardboard box full of newspaper. It was great to be able to shoot at home in any weather. They were quiet enough that it didn't bother the neighbors. If you tried that now,and the neighbors heard then complained, you'd likely get arrested for discharging within city limits. They are too loud in a handgun, though. In many ways it's a shame the way times have changed.

"The mice escaped the shooting unharmed"
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,378142,00.html

http://www.bettybowers.com/
Because she's a better Xtian than you are!

Old 11-28-2007, 12:40 AM   #10
Ari

Quote:
so not having any powder.. that means this is uber super quiet yes?

like almost not audible since its just primer projecting the bullet?
when I shoot them from my Remington 597 my Chicom air rifle is louder.

Quick Reply