Hipoint Firearms Forums > Archive > Vintage Topic Archive (Oct - 2009) > Homemade Case cleaner from old NRA recipe...cheap...with pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
HiPoint45
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Homemade Case cleaner from old NRA recipe...cheap...with pics

By request, at least one person asked ^-^ Here's a recipe I found that person said was from a 1957 NRA article. He said it works good for black powder also in the post I found so someone may want to try it for that.

**WARNING** If you don't like the smell of vinegar, this is NOT for you. ^-^

1 Pint water
1 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon dish detergent

Also find a med size platic tub with a lid, at least thats what I use I'm sure there are many ways to do this, this is just what I do. My tub is 48 0z/3 lb tub that held cookie dough. Hey we had to make the cookies and eat em first for me to get the tub, who says dyi doesn't have benefits? Here are the things needed.

Here's the brass before washing.

Pour all ingredients in tub and give it a quick stir to mix, I just put the dish soap in last and stir with that spoon.

Then dump that dirty stuff in...

And seal it up..

Now the recipe said to wash for 10 mins, I just set kitchen timer and go. The reason I use a tub with lid is I just swish it in my hands tumble it end over end etc for the 10 mins. Here's the cleaner in full soapy mode, I take the lid off occasionally and stir with my hands too. Also lets you see how the cleaning is coming along.

When the timer goes off, its time to rinse for 10 mins also. Just set timer again and start rinsing. I use warmish water in all steps cause my hands are in there.

While rinsing I dump water and refill several times. I do the rinse like the wash agitate by hand tumble end over end etc.

When the rinse timer is up I dump as much water out as I can then dump brass onto waiting paper towel. I then gather towel around brass and give a little squeeze to get excess water off.

Then I transfer brass to the lid on a towel to air dry. One could also dry in sun,or a low 150 degree oven. I'm not in a time rush because I clean batches well before I'm going to load, usually when I collect 50. I clean 50 at a time just because thats what fits in the empty ammo trays I use for reloading and also that amount seems to fit and clean well in the tub I use.

Then as the final step which I do while checking case length I lock each case in the cutter stud with shell holder and give it a final buff with fine steel wool

Well thats all there is to it, wash and rinse process takes 20 mins. Dry time depends on method you decide to use. Try it especially if you don't have a tumbler which is why I hunted for something I could make instead of buying chemical liquid case cleaner.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2009, 12:33 AM   #2
perotter

Liked 470 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 638

Default Re: Homemade Case cleaner from old NRA recipe...cheap...with pics

Thanks for the report & pics. I'm going to try this on some very dirty brass.

"The totalitarian states can do great things, but there is one thing they cannot do: they cannot give the factory-worker a rifle and tell him to take it home and keep it in his bedroom. That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage, is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." - George Orwell

Old 05-01-2009, 01:09 AM   #3
Super_Virgil

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Send a message via AIM to Super_Virgil Send a message via Yahoo to Super_Virgil

great post man. thats what i like about this forum, we are all trying to save a buck.

Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.
Optimus Prime

You can find me at Pioneer Gun Club. Kansas city's only comprehensive gun club www.pioneergunclub.org

Old 05-01-2009, 03:58 AM   #4
CoyoteUGLY

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

BOOKMARKED!! :yay!:

fantastic photography btw.

[size=8pt]"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen"
—Samuel Adams
[/size]

Old 05-01-2009, 04:01 AM   #5
Mr_Mac
Village Amadan

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think I'll start a batch of .45s!

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. - Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
SamStafford

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm cheap...so this will work out just great for me. :eat:

What? Me worry?
Hi-Point C-9
Hi-Point Classic 995
Hi-Point 995TS

Old 05-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
Tracylaud83

The only step I change, is tumble (in my sons old rock tumbler)for 2 hours with corn cob media, after it sun dries.* I just like the finish polish.* It also gives me piece of mind, that everything is off the brass.

I, do solemnly swear, that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:42 AM   #8
drezac

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Just cleaned my first batch with this solution - works great - Before I was using just vinegar, but this solution work much better - Thanks.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:55 AM   #9
Silicon Wolverine

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

good how to but keep in mind that chemical polishers can etch and/or weaken the brass. if you have a minor existing defect the chemical bath will exacerbate it. IIRC thats the recipie my dad used way back when as well.

SW

Old 06-15-2009, 02:58 AM   #10
HiPoint45

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
good how to but keep in mind that chemical polishers can etch and/or weaken the brass. if you have a minor existing defect the chemical bath will exacerbate it. IIRC thats the recipie my dad used way back when as well.

SW
Thanks for the tip SW I'll keep it in mind. I'll pay close attention to the brass.

Quick Reply