Hipoint Firearms Forums > Archive > Vintage Topic Archive (Oct - 2009) > How do you measure Black Powder without the damned measuring thingie!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2009, 02:08 AM   #1
neothespian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How do you measure Black Powder without the damned measuring thingie!!!

Well, pigtails_of_doom's dad (Pigtails Sr?) has offered his black powder .50 caliber to take with us shooting, but there's just ONE hitch:

They couldn't find the measuring device for the powder, and NO ONE IN MESA has one!!!

So, my question is: How can I go about measuring out powder, and what levels and measures are suitable for a .50 cal rifle without a measure that is marked in grains? What other volumes can I use to measure?

"Generally speaking, art is an expression of man’s need for an harmonious and complete life, that is to say, his need for those major benefits of which a society of classes has deprived him. That is why a protest against reality, either conscious or unconscious, active or passive, optimistic or pessimistic, always forms part of a really creative piece of work. Every new tendency in art has begun with rebellion."- Leon Trotsky

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2009, 02:52 AM   #2
69burbon

Default Re: How do you measure Black Powder without the damned measuring thingie!!!

I use an empty 30.06 cartridge as a measure for my Kentucky. As I recall it it about 90 grains using FFFG powder.

For target shooting that should be adequate. You could also use the pyrodex pellets. They come in 30 and 50 grain pellets. For nearly all my black powder rifle shooting I use 90 to 100 grains.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:07 AM   #3
leadslinger

Default Re: How do you measure Black Powder without the damned measuring thingie!!!

When I was working for the state I rolled all my own. I hated measuring out every individual charge, so took an old sharpie cap got the measurement and poured it in the cap, marked the level and from then on just dipped it in jug...no more measuring If I remember right it was just a little over half a cap full-2/3. Not scientific in the least but it worked. What kinda .50 are firing, the modern hunting type, or old school muskets? Big difference when it comes to pyrodex! If it can take pyro and there is time I got a box I'll mail ya (can you mail that stuff?).

And that's nuts nobody out there has one, not even the specialty hunting shops?

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam - I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
--
"People separated from their history are easily persuaded." --Karl Marx

Old 05-02-2009, 03:09 AM   #4
98pointsix

Quote:
I use an empty 30.06 cartridge as a measure for my Kentucky. As I recall it it about 90 grains using FFFG powder.

For target shooting that should be adequate. You could also use the pyrodex pellets. They come in 30 and 50 grain pellets. For nearly all my black powder rifle shooting I use 90 to 100 grains.
+1 I use pellets easey peasey lemmon squeezee. Make sure its a magnum b4 you load it over 75 grains. Ohh and what kind is it??
Hey I think they have those thingees at Walmart you could check there :devilsidesmile:

300 Weatherby Mag because sometimes you need to kill really big things that are really far away.
Never underestimate the stupid what they lack in ability they make up for in numbers.
" Good fences make good neighbors" -Robert Frost

Old 05-02-2009, 03:15 AM   #5
neothespian

Wal Mart here doesn't carry ANY Black Powder stuff (and it took alot for ME to go into a Wal Mart. That shows how desperate I was). And, as for the 30.06 trick...a) I don't have a 30.06 and b) I still don't know how much 90 grains is.

Just how much IS a grain of powder?

Also, I'm pretty sure it's a modern .50, since it uses percussion caps. But, I could be wrong. I'm still researching the hell out of it right now.

"Generally speaking, art is an expression of man’s need for an harmonious and complete life, that is to say, his need for those major benefits of which a society of classes has deprived him. That is why a protest against reality, either conscious or unconscious, active or passive, optimistic or pessimistic, always forms part of a really creative piece of work. Every new tendency in art has begun with rebellion."- Leon Trotsky

Old 05-02-2009, 03:22 AM   #6
leadslinger

Percussion caps have been around a long time, newer ones use 209 primers. Isn't there a shop out there that sells reloading supplies? Or you could ask one of your fellow arizonians to bring one with them, I'm sure someone would oblige.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam - I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
--

Old 05-02-2009, 03:30 AM   #7
neothespian

Quote:
Percussion caps have been around a long time, newer ones use 209 primers. Isn't there a shop out there that sells reloading supplies? Or you could ask one of your fellow arizonians to bring one with them, I'm sure someone would oblige.
The reloading shops that I could get to today had NOTHING in stock. No ammo, no powder, no primers for centerfires, no percussion caps, and hardly any slugs. Their blackpowder shelves (for the stores that still carried the stuff) were practically empty. There's clearance sales on everything from Hydration packs, fishing lures and boats with shelves overflowing with product, but the ammo and hunting sections looked as if there was a great panic before a hurricane.

On the sharpie cap thing: What TYPE of sharpie? I have 4 different ones I use for work, and all the caps are a different size

Old 05-02-2009, 03:36 AM   #8
98pointsix

Ok Im looking at a powder measureing chart that puts pyrodex at about 10 grains per cc

LOOK atthe EDIT thats 10 grains per 1CC

300 Weatherby Mag because sometimes you need to kill really big things that are really far away.
Never underestimate the stupid what they lack in ability they make up for in numbers.
" Good fences make good neighbors" -Robert Frost

Old 05-02-2009, 03:52 AM   #9
neothespian

Quote:
Ok Im looking at a powder measureing chart that puts pyrodex at about 10 grains per cc

LOOK atthe EDIT thats 10 grains per 1CC
Now, that does help. I might have something to measure that...

Old 05-02-2009, 03:59 AM   #10
leadslinger

Quote:
The reloading shops that I could get to today had NOTHING in stock. No ammo, no powder, no primers for centerfires, no percussion caps, and hardly any slugs. Their blackpowder shelves (for the stores that still carried the stuff) were practically empty. There's clearance sales on everything from Hydration packs, fishing lures and boats with shelves overflowing with product, but the ammo and hunting sections looked as if there was a great panic before a hurricane.

On the sharpie cap thing: What TYPE of sharpie? I have 4 different ones I use for work, and all the caps are a different size
LMAO, yeah good point. I had no idea there were that many types of sharpies now, guess I need to get out more :P I used the standard sized Sharpie cap, original Sharpie I would guess...hope that helps you narrow it down.

You know it might be worth a shot to a (1!!!) Pyrodex pellet down the tube and see if that cap is hot enough. I've never tried it, but I use 3 @ 50 gr in my muzzie with a 209, granted their much hotter. Do you know about what charge PToD's pops used in it?

--

Quick Reply