You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Hipointfirearmsforums.com    

Hipoint Firearms Forums > Archive > Vintage Topic Archive (Oct - 2009) >

resizing primed cases?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
drezac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default resizing primed cases?

Can anyone see a problem with running a primed case thorugh the sizing die (other than removing the decapping pin, of course...)?

Since I'm cleaning my brass without a tumbler (I'm going to try the mixture posted here), I am thinking of manually depriming, washing and drying the cases, priming with my Priming Tool, then running the cases through the press. from the first 40 I have run through the press, I'm not that confident with priming on the press - I have had to check each case, as I get a few that don't seat all the way the first time (Never had that problem with the hand priming tool).

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
Super_Virgil

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Send a message via AIM to Super_Virgil Send a message via Yahoo to Super_Virgil
Default Re: resizing primed cases?

Doesnt the brass get sized when you run it through the decapping die. It is usually one operation. resize/deprime brass, reprime, expand brass and seat bullet..
You can find me at Pioneer Gun Club. Kansas city's only comprehensive gun club www.pioneergunclub.org

Old 05-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
drezac

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I was going to manually decap with the decapping punch from my Lee loader classic instead of running it through the resizing die.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
vtjozef

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

The Lee 4-die carbide set decaps and sizes on die #1. Caps the primer, flairs the mouth and loads the powder on die #2. Seats the bullet on die #3. And then on die #4 it (post) sizes (2nd time) and crimps the bullet. Die #4 according top Lee guarantees that the round will chamber in any firearm. I like that. So far, perfect.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Super_Virgil

Quote:
I was going to manually decap with the decapping punch from my Lee loader classic instead of running it through the resizing die.
Why????? Do it in one operation, or do you have a turret and wanting to run them through at the same time??? i really would just do it all at once, but if you remove the decapping pin, you should be fine. I dont generally clean my primer pockets, except if i want really accurate ammo.
You can find me at Pioneer Gun Club. Kansas city's only comprehensive gun club www.pioneergunclub.org

Old 05-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
HiPoint45

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I think his point is he wants to clean the cases before he runs them through the dies, cleaning the cases to protect the dies. I only have a Lee Loader so I don't know about the die sets as far as actual operation but if you can remove the decapping pin I don't see why that wouldn't work? They sell primed brass after all, so people size that right? Because with the cleaner I posted you should decap the brass first. Thats what you're talking about right drezac?

drezac, also check this other post I came up with a faster way to decap with the Lee Loader tool, might work for you if you decide to do it the way you're talking about.
http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php/topic,18117.msg189972.html#msg189972

Old 05-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
drezac

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
I think his point is he wants to clean the cases before he runs them through the dies, cleaning the cases to protect the dies. I only have a Lee Loader so I don't know about the die sets as far as actual operation but if you can remove the decapping pin I don't see why that wouldn't work? They sell primed brass after all, so people size that right? Because with the cleaner I posted you should decap the brass first. Thats what you're talking about right drezac?

drezac, also check this other post I came up with a faster way to decap with the Lee Loader tool, might work for you if you decide to do it the way you're talking about.
http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php/topic,18117.msg189972.html#msg189972

Yes - that's it - I want to clean the cases first, then run through the dies. I like your decapping setup - I have something similar myself - a small wooden frame made out of scrap wood, with a hole that the die sits over and I put a small round tin can underneath to catch the primers. I'll try to get time to post a picture this weekend.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
CoyoteUGLY

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

ahhh, i see. u want to get the crud off b4 they touch the dies. ME TOO... here's what i do... (sorry no pic)

i built a jig. drilled 10 holes in a row on a chunk of wood, mounted some dowels in each hole.

I place a spent round on each dowel, (primer facing up obviously) then spray them down good with a mix of alcohol & lanolin in a spray bottle (that's all the Cabelas lube spray is). A squirt on each side of each case & the black dripps off PLUS lubes them for the die (even though mine are carbide).

The spray is adjusted to where about two sprays per side of the row will catch all 10 shells well-enough. But gotta run em through b4 the stuff evaporates. Spray more if extra dirty. Once in a while a really cruddy one gets tossed in a box to wash first, but usually this suffices.

THEN you could throw the de-capped shells into that handy wash container.
[size=8pt]"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen"
—Samuel Adams
[/size]

Old 05-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
Super_Virgil

Clean em, then deprime with your press. i just think you are making it more complicated than it has to be.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #10
PrimalSeal

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Send a message via AIM to PrimalSeal Send a message via Yahoo to PrimalSeal

Quote:
Clean em, then deprime with your press. i just think you are making it more complicated than it has to be.

I agree. Just because you're washing the brass doesn't mean squat. The old primers are already spent, so it won't make any difference if they get water in them. Just make sure they're dry completely before you add powder to the cases and you're set.

I got a fever and the only prescription, is MORE COWBELL!!!! ~Bruce Dickenson

HMFIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Primal Seal- He killed a bear once, with his bare hands. Then he ate it, raw. He looks a lot like that actor, Berry Pepper.
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough. ~ godlessdustin
resizing primed cases? - Vintage Topic Archive (Oct - 2009)

Quick Reply