Hipoint Firearms Forums > Archive > 2010 > .40 cal vs. .45 ACP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
Volcom777
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .40 cal vs. .45 ACP

Very inexperienced with guns. Just got a C9 last week and already looking for another. Whats the difference between the .40s and .45s, as far as stopping power and enjoyment to target shoot with them, any opinons would be great. Ammo prices also if they make a difference. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
North Idaho Shooter

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Re: .40 cal vs. .45 ACP

I have always preferred the .45, probably because I was shooting long before the .40 was brought out. The .45 seems to do everything I need it to, and there are a large selection of guns available in that caliber. I have never owned, or ever fired a .40, so my opinion is a little one sided. There must be some market for the .40, as they seem to sell pretty well.

As far as the ammo goes, it seems that .40 ammo is generally more available than .45 (at least in some areas), but it hasn't been an issue here (North Idaho). Prices are generally slightly cheaper for .40 than .45, but again that's in this area.

I guess that a lot of it is just a personal choice. Either one can hold up it's end, whatever you are planning on using it for.

Neve underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
Bill

well to each there own ive got a jcp 40 and a 4095 carbine ive also got a jhp 45 and a taurus 24/7 pro in a 45 there both a fun caliber to shoot there my 2 favorites to shoot if your not experianced with guns as you mentioned i would go with the 40 over the 45 also look at ammo availability in your area and prices on the ammo i cast and load my own but still pick up some factory ammo from time to time to keep my brass stock pile up the wife and i are at walmart weekly they always seem to have 40 ammo but im lucky if i can fine 45 there once a month i know gunshops have it in stock but when i buy ammo its usualy like i mentioned for the brass so im going for price around here 45 ammo generaly goes for 18$ to 25$ per 50 where as 40 ammo usualy 12$ to 18$ or so if i were in your shoes i would go for the 40 then mabye later on if you still want to buy the 45 too if your buying hipoints you can get both of them for roughly 300 to 400 so its not like your gonna have alot of money tied up in both of them

Old 06-08-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
bomber101581

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

.40 ammo is cheaper than .45

Old 06-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
osok

what is it for? defense, plinking, just to have another gun (we are almost all guilty of the last one).. I would say the .40 will give you everything you need and be cheaper. I personally will take a .45 over a .40 any day though. it just makes me feel better due to familiarity and being the battle proven bad ass of hand gun rounds..

I am a firm believer that if you make owning a gun a crime, only criminals will have them..

between my guns and my toyota... 2012 is gonna be a blast..

Old 06-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #6
Volcom777

Quote:
what is it for? defense, plinking, just to have another gun (we are almost all guilty of the last one).. I would say the .40 will give you everything you need and be cheaper. I personally will take a .45 over a .40 any day though. it just makes me feel better due to familiarity and being the battle proven bad ass of hand gun rounds..
Well I would be target shooting of course for practice, but mainly for defense, and just an excuse to my wife to buy a second gun.......

I guess I was looking mainly for how much more powerful the 45 is compared to the 40 if they both had equal rounds (like basic brass, or both had hp's) for the gun. Like are there many things/animals/people that a 45 will drop that a 40 wouldnt. I dont care about ammo cost if its only a few dollars a box. Im a big guy and pretty strong so recoil or weight wont bother me, I wouldnt be trying to ccl this or anything.

I bought my C9 new from a local shop for $150, they sell the 40 for $170 and 45 for $179 (heck this shop is cheaper than buying one online after shipping/ffl fees....) so the price difference is mute really. Unless there is like a 45, and a 45 ACP (dont know what ACP means) and there would be a price difference there? I just asked about a Hi Point 45 when i called, didnt specify ACP. I would like to pick one up used though so my wife doesnt complain about money so much......

Old 06-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #7
Silicon Wolverine

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

40 is a short sharp recoil from a faster smallbore bullet. 45 is a slower smoother recoil with a big slow moving bullet. of those two id take 40 over 45. its semantics in teh end. either will kill someone just as dead.

SW

Old 06-08-2010, 11:04 PM   #8
osok

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehosting/43164769df534ddc4.jpg

check this out. it may help you make a decision. the general idea is the bigger the bullet the better when it comes to stopping someone...

although a .40 and a.45 will kill someone just as dead, the .40 seems to be a little slower getting back on target. but the .45 seems to give more overall force to shooter.

its all up to you, go shoot one of each.

I am a firm believer that if you make owning a gun a crime, only criminals will have them..

between my guns and my toyota... 2012 is gonna be a blast..

Old 06-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #9
Super_Virgil

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Send a message via AIM to Super_Virgil Send a message via Yahoo to Super_Virgil

This is america, where bigger is better. Get the 45. I just have a man crush on everything in that caliber.

Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.
Optimus Prime

You can find me at Pioneer Gun Club. Kansas city's only comprehensive gun club www.pioneergunclub.org

Old 06-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #10
MTH-JHP45

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

+1 SV.
When you fire the JHP you KNOW you have a hold of something!

Never make absolute statements.
They are always wrong.

Quick Reply