Hipoint Firearms Forums > Archive > 2010 > 995TS ammunition?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
Arbitr8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 995TS ammunition?

The manual states use only "jacketed" ammunition, with that said what type would work best for target practice?

I went to Cabellas and they only had 9mm ammunition which was marked "luger", would that work? Can you use the same ammo in the 995TS and the hi point 9mm pistol.

I am a newbie so you gotta type real slow so I can understand. I just want to get about a couple of hundred rounds to target practice.

We do have a Walmart and Bass Pro Shop nearby and both sell ammuntion.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
HalfFast73

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Re: 995TS ammunition?

9mm Luger is fine. The same ammo can be used in the carbine and the pistol, so long as they're both 9mm. ^-^

Old 01-31-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
futuremodal

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

9mm luger IS the ammo. Anything in 9mm luger is fine - also known as 9mm parabellum, 9x19mm.

Important: AVOID 9MM MAKAROV! THAT IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CARTRIDGE. BAD MOJO IF YOU USE 9MM MAKAROV IN A REGULAR 9MM FIREARM!

"But the noble man makes noble plans,
and by noble deeds he stands."

Old 01-31-2010, 11:29 PM   #4
crakr

Send a message via Yahoo to crakr

Hey man any 9mm luger, 9mm parabellum, 9x19, or 9mm NATO will work and as has been stated no makarov and look for the letters JHP (jacketed hollow point), or FMJ (full metal jacket) happy shooting be careful

I feel that if a gun is good enough to protect something as important as a bar, then its good enough to protect my family.
Homer Simpson

Old 02-01-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
2TN Mules

Mine has done great on a steady diet of non-jacketed cast lead boolits with no problems (over 1200). I didn't see that in the manual. Guess I need to re-read the dang thing.

Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it. - Woodrow F. Call
Civility is not a sign of weakness. - JFK

Old 02-01-2010, 01:06 AM   #6
Super_Virgil

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Send a message via AIM to Super_Virgil Send a message via Yahoo to Super_Virgil

First off,

when it comes to ammo lou are looking for 9mm luger for your 995 ts.
Jacketed refers to the bullet type.

There are full metal jackets or fmj. This is a lead core, with a copper jacket over the lead. All you will see it the copper part.. Use this for plinking at the range. Fmj can come in different shapes as well. the jacket prevents build up of lead in the barrel.

JHP Jacketed hollow point is defensive ammo or hunting. It has a hollow point for expansion. The goal here is little hole in that gets bigger to facilitate the bad guy or game to fall and stay down. JHP ammo also seeks to prevent over penetration.

Cast bullets, that mules mentioned, are used mostly by us reloaders. It is a way cheaper alternative to get scrap lead and cast it into a bullet. We have to do some more cleaning of the barrel to remove lead build up, but we make sure our loads are not to "hot" and this prevents most of the build up. Cast bullets are just fine, but require more cleaning.

When HP says jacketed bullets, it is more for legalese reasons than anything. If you let lead build up get excessive, it could cause the weapon to fail, causing injury to the shooter. Since most commercial ammo is jacketed, you will be fine.

Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.
Optimus Prime

You can find me at Pioneer Gun Club. Kansas city's only comprehensive gun club www.pioneergunclub.org

Old 02-01-2010, 02:00 AM   #7
rhartwell

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

I reload with the hard lead. What is the best thing to get the lead out and how often do you use it.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:06 AM   #8
LRTEKE

from North Carolina.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
2TN Mules

Quote:
I reload with the hard lead. What is the best thing to get the lead out and how often do you use it.
There are as many different ways to remove lead as there are people shooting it. I've not had any leading issues that I could not remove with Hoppes and brushing in a long time. I have a Lewis Lead Remover for just in case, and have only had to use it on my JHP45 one time. Good hard cast lead bullets, properly sized and lubed will cause minimal leading.

Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it. - Woodrow F. Call
Civility is not a sign of weakness. - JFK

Quick Reply