Free HPFF Decals for Helping out!
Hipoint Firearms Forums > Archive > 2010 > best red dot for the money

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
foth12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default best red dot for the money

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I'm picking up my 9mm carbine next week and just wondering what red dot sight everyone is using. I had an old carbine and loved it(should never have gotten rid of it) so I'm very excited to pick up the new one. I want a red dot but don't want to spend a bunch of money yet want a good one.

Thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
ajole
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3111 Times on 2230 Posts
Likes Given: 2912

Default Re: best red dot for the money

There are about 5-6 (or 20) at the under $50 range, and all are decent enough for under 100 yard shooting...IMHO. There are some in the sub $125 range, that might be better...but I have no experience with them, and haven't heard anything about them either. The really expensive stuff, like the Trijicon, Aimpoint, Eotec, or whatever...they are crazy good, I've shot a few of them, and they are worth every penny if you want to shoot a "red dot" out to 300+ yards, or deal with multiple zombies in rapid fire sequences...but might be a bit much to throw on a 9mm rifle with 10 round mags... :devilsidesmile:

I personally like my Sightmark Holo sight, $39, very light, small, and works fine so far. Also have a Barska, a TruGlo, and a BSA, and a Tasco. All work fine, many look like they were made in the same factory in China. Most came on a gun I bought, but I see them at $39 and down, usually.

He who smiles last....

......................thinks slowest.

Q

Not anything to do with me,...but SWAGA referred me to it...and it is pretty funny: The Ballad of Ajole
17 HP's and counting.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:56 AM   #3
dahed

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I, like 'ajole', have the alphabet collection of red dots, ranging from Barska, BSA, Sightmark, etc., but if you can find a red/green with the four reticles, I think you would be happy.

Nec asperra terrant

Old 06-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
wrxty

I think the best one for the money is the centerpoint you can buy at walmart for $50. I had a tasco that lost zero way too often, and I've tried a walther branded one. My favorite is the centerpoint. It currently rests on my AK and can handle the recoil no problem. Has red and green dots. Have you thought about a compact scope instead? I just installed a NC star 4x compact scope on my TS and I like it ALOT better than a red dot. Plus it was only $30 with rings shipped and you don't haft to worry about batteries.

By wrxty

By wrxty

Old 06-05-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
MAXELM

Was out shooting my 995 today to see how the 2 new magazines would do. Had to make small adjustment on one of them (slight bend of lips outward) then everything shot just fine. I have a BSA red dot on my carbine and it works well, it cost around $35.00. The longest distance I have shot is 50 yards and it stays in a 5" circle if I don't get carried away with the trigger finger. The dot size on this BSA isn't made for fine point accuracy, but it works for plinking and putting holes in paper. Later on I might get a better sight to mount on the gun and work on accuracy and go after some coyotes....Hey, happy shoot"n....

Old 06-10-2010, 12:21 AM   #6
C5sam

Currently I too have a box of red dots. I have a Brunton reflex on my 995, I like unlimited eye relief and a smaller dot. It is my HD weapon.Have a truglo 2x 42mm on my Saiga 223, and nothing on my Galil,simply dont like forearm mounts and find finding a good side mount is next to impossible. I have nitesiters in place of the tritium night sites, they hold a charge for a couple of hours.Also have a BSA 30mm red dot that came on my 995, and a 2.5x Simmons shotgun scope

Old 06-10-2010, 02:39 AM   #7
Sharpshotter

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via MSN to Sharpshotter

Oh by the way

One old single barrel,nonfunctional, shotgun

My home is protected by the good Lord & a gun...you will meet them both if you show up unwelcome son

Old 06-10-2010, 03:58 AM   #8
sasquatch76

I like the Simmons Red Dot I have on my 995. It has 11 different dot sizes,
intensities, and great eye relief. It was only $40 at Dicks.

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence,injury,crime,and death.How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness.How unnatural.How cheap. How cowardly.How pathetic."--Ted Nugent

Old 06-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #9
kalboy

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Currently I too have a box of red dots. I have a Brunton reflex on my 995, I like unlimited eye relief and a smaller dot. It is my HD weapon.Have a truglo 2x 42mm on my Saiga 223, and nothing on my Galil,simply dont like forearm mounts and find finding a good side mount is next to impossible. I have nitesiters in place of the tritium night sites, they hold a charge for a couple of hours.Also have a BSA 30mm red dot that came on my 995, and a 2.5x Simmons shotgun scope
How do you like your Tru -Glo 2x42? Been considering one of those myself.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:57 PM   #10
C5sam

So far so good, I have only been able to use it at a 25 yd indoor range,sub 1" groups after I fine tuned the zero, Still prefer my Hi-point for HD, as it is the quietest of anything I own. Got the most attention with my NAA 22mag , to onlookers watching, you could barely see the pistol but you could sure hear it.My 995 is equal in accuracy,and has been 100% reliable,being a bit smaller and with eye relief to infinity, it's quick on target and less likely to kill my neighbor, than one of my 223's. Although I really dont like him that much.

Quick Reply