Hipoint Firearms Forums > Archive > 2010 > Cleaning my Hi Point

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
finnfeather
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cleaning my Hi Point

Well I have a question that I'm ssure will have more than 1 answer but I need some opinions on how often to clean my 995 and how far do I break it down. I shot my 995 last weekend and cleaned the barrel and swabbed the action with some q-tips and a few patches but did not tear it down. Should I tear it down and how far or if not what are some of your suggestions and experiences.

Thanks finnfeather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
thoricuncle

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Send a message via MSN to thoricuncle
Default Re: Cleaning my Hi Point

Not sure on the 995. But I swab and lightly clean the action after every use. After about 500 rounds, I will tear it down for a full cleaning.

Mom recommends only tearing it down after 1500 rounds but I just can't wait that long.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
spacecoast

I break it down completely and clean it every time I use it (as I do any gun). The carbine is no more difficult than some pistols. Another benefit (besides a clean gun) is that it gets easier to tear down the more you do it... things loosen up a bit and burrs are worn smooth.

I recently got a bore snake as well, that really works great on the barrel.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
ajole
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4449 Times on 3109 Posts
Likes Given: 3941

I just bore snake mine, use a brush and/or rag to wipe out the chamber, and oil the moving bits. No issues yet.

He who smiles last....

......................thinks slowest.

Q

Not anything to do with me,...but SWAGA referred me to it...and it is pretty funny: The Ballad of Ajole
17 HP's and counting.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #5
MAXELM

I shot mmy carbine yesterday and started to get fail to feed after about 30 rounds. I shot it about a month ago and after that shooting at the range I just used a Q-Tip with solvent to clean some of the breech area and then swabbed the bore. So today I took it apart and cleaned it pretty good, and found the feed ramp to be somewhat rough. I got the dremel out with polishing tip and some polishing paste and smooth that out. I haven't shot it yet but I think it should run like a champ. I took the firing pin assembly out and cleaned that also. It wasn't all that bad of a job to do, really no problems.....

Old 05-07-2010, 12:31 AM   #6
North Idaho Shooter

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I take mine down as far as the instruction manual details every time I shoot mine. Maybe it's just my old Marine Corps training, but I can't leave a dirty weapon in the safe for very long.

Neve underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:52 AM   #7
prodefense

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I shot mmy carbine yesterday and started to get fail to feed after about 30 rounds. I shot it about a month ago and after that shooting at the range I just used a Q-Tip with solvent to clean some of the breech area and then swabbed the bore. So today I took it apart and cleaned it pretty good, and found the feed ramp to be somewhat rough. I got the dremel out with polishing tip and some polishing paste and smooth that out. I haven't shot it yet but I think it should run like a champ. I took the firing pin assembly out and cleaned that also. It wasn't all that bad of a job to do, really no problems.....
I had read (on this forum) that Hi-Point discourages the use of solvents. I saved the post onto my Palm; the pertinent part is as follows:

"3.) She emphasized do NOT use ANY cleaning solvents on the gun as Hi-Point uses a Lithium grease for lubrication. Solvent removes this grease and gun oil "rejuvenates" it."

I am new to firearms, and am a bit disappointed in Hi-Points manual and lack of guidance on proper care/maintenance and use of the weapon. I mean, how many posts are on this forum about what ammo should be used?

"Do you know how hard it is to get clown makeup off of a bone saw?"-Dr. Monica Crumb (The Unusuals-2009)

Old 05-08-2010, 04:42 AM   #8
Fondis Firearms

Hi Guys, I am new to this forum, and new to Hi-Points.
I just bought my first Hi-Points this week - got a 995 and a 9c. I bought them used from a guy who said he only cleaned the barrel and had never broken them down for a complete cleaning. I thought that was pretty lazy of him until I researched the breakdown procedures and found that you need half a toolbox just to get the thing apart! It took me a long time to break down, clean and reassemble these two guns! I own a whole safe full of other guns, and none of them are this hard to clean. I imagine I will be just using a bore snake for quick cleaning after short shooting sessions, and then occasionally breaking it down for a full clean. I sure won't do it every time, or the gun just won't get shot. > Oh well. I still haven't shot either one yet. Hopefully this weekend the weather will be nice enough to give them a try.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:41 AM   #9
MAXELM

I took my carbine out and ran 10 shots down the tube and it worked just fine. So apparently cleaning and polishing the feed ramp fixed my feeding problem. I like to use Hoppes powder solvent to clean most of my guns barrels and breech areas and will continue to do so, I just use damp Q-tips and patches. There is a video on YOU TUBE on taking the Hi-Point 995 apart if anyone is interested. It doesn't take a tool chest full of tools to take the gun apart

Old 05-10-2010, 02:16 AM   #10
dumpster

here is the break down vid on youtube

Quick Reply